Author Topic: Powers = Tools ?  (Read 38088 times)

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Powers = Tools ?
« Reply #285 on: May 09, 2012, 07:50:25 PM »
Yeah, a bunch of those are 3.0 unupdated material. So you're already off to a weak start.

I went to a page that claimed to list all WotC 3.5 material and copied, then pasted.

Only the WotC 3.5 material.  Some of the books (Epic Handbook stands out) were never updated and (according to WotC) are part of 3.5.

But you're plucking at the outside of the issue rather than addressing it.

Do you disagree with the following two statements:
1) You do not need to own Ghostwalk to run D&D 3.5.
2) Ghostwalk is part of  D&D 3.5.

The parallel between those two statement and my position (you do not need to read all the novels; the entire DV is part of the game) is clear.

Richard

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 09, 2012, 08:04:25 PM »
Not really.  Ghostwalk isn't a novel.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 09, 2012, 08:10:01 PM »
Not really.  Ghostwalk isn't a novel.

Nor is D&D 3.5 a licensed product.

One last time (hopefully):
The Dresden Files RPG is an attempt to model the entire DV.
The rulebooks give a great summary of the DV.

Saying:
is akin to saying:
1) you do not need to read all the novels
2) the entire DV is part of the game

Richard

Offline Viatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 09, 2012, 08:59:18 PM »
Saying:
is akin to saying:
1) you do not need to read all the novels
2) the entire DV is part of the game

Richard

No, this is wrong by definition. Ghostwalk is a licensed product of WotC produced for the DnD 3.5 ruleset. It's incomparable, as I pointed out and you ignored. You remain firmly and unavoidably in the territory of apples-to-oranges. There's just no similarity between a licensed product for a gaming ruleset and a work of artistic fiction produced only for its own merit.

But you're missing the obvious correlation. Is a Drizz't novel produced for entertainment valid rules text for Forgotten Realms?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:27:03 PM by Viatos »

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 09, 2012, 09:08:25 PM »
Yeah, a bunch of those are 3.0 unupdated material. So you're already off to a weak start.

Where your analogy becomes so anemic that it dies of heart failure, unable even to pump its own blood, is that all the actual 3.5 material on that list is an expansion to DnD 3.5 licensed and published by WotC. Trying to compare published expansion material in DnD 3.5 to the novels DFRPG is based on is apples and oranges, no comparison possible. It's like comparing a cooking manual to a picture of a cake.

That was caustic and unnecessary.  Please stop.  We don't need flame wars here.  We don't need mods breathing down our necks.   That is where this is going. 

Offline Viatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 09, 2012, 09:24:48 PM »
That was caustic and unnecessary.  Please stop.  We don't need flame wars here.  We don't need mods breathing down our necks.   That is where this is going.

It was neither; any statement with even a hint of softness has been met with obfuscating bait-and-switch tactics. This one allows no misinterpretation and is directed at no user, referencing only the strength of an argument. I hope that stating an argument is weak, even if I do so colorfully, is not expected to be a value judgment on the character of another human being. If I ever violate the ToS, I expect a moderator and not another user to note my conduct as unacceptable. While this debate has generated controversy and demanded a certain amount of directness, I see no calls for this kind of response.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 09, 2012, 09:48:54 PM »
Setting do not equal rules.
D&D proved that if you change the setting the rules can remain the same.

DFRP is not a simulation of the Dresden files its a role playing game using the setting there is a difference.

Your Dresden files =/ my Dresden files which does not equal Butcher's Dresden files any narrative can be interpreted multiple ways (aka there is no one true canon). 

The novels provide the meta-plot of DFRP not the rules.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:50:33 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 09, 2012, 09:49:38 PM »
Nor is D&D 3.5 a licensed product.
It's just flipping which is licensed.  WotC licensed novels, Butcher licensed the game.  In both cases, novels are setting sources and game references are rule sources.

Kinda think this is going down a rabbit hole though.  In the end, the table / group is what matters.  My group chose to set the game during the vampire war - it helps keep the wardens distracted.  The result is we discount the later novels' material - our setting may well take different turns, at least on the small scale. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Viatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 09, 2012, 10:34:04 PM »
It's just flipping which is licensed.  WotC licensed novels, Butcher licensed the game.  In both cases, novels are setting sources and game references are rule sources.

No, it's ignoring the difference between a game and associated fiction.

Both DFRPG and DnD 3.5 have setting books. DFRPG has Our World. DnD 3.5 has campaign setting books. These are where game setting comes from. Novels are just novels. Art, entertainment, unrelated to the game itself.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 10, 2012, 01:45:29 AM »
No, this is wrong by definition. Ghostwalk is a licensed product of WotC produced for the DnD 3.5 ruleset.

No, it is not a licensed product.  It is a rulebook released by WotC that (in their minds) fills a vital role - introducing new rules to handle something that they felt was missing from the game.

It's incomparable, as I pointed out and you ignored. You remain firmly and unavoidably in the territory of apples-to-oranges. There's just no similarity between a licensed product for a gaming ruleset and a work of artistic fiction produced only for its own merit.

In this case the game is based off of the writings.  Where the game fails to handle the DV is where the game fails.

But you're missing the obvious correlation. Is a Drizz't novel produced for entertainment valid rules text for Forgotten Realms?

You are mixing apples and oranges here.  Unlike Dresden Files RPG, D&D is not based off of a series of novels.  The D&D game predates all D&D novels by... I was going to say decades, but Quag Keep stops me.  Discounting Quag Keep, the first D&D novels didn't come around until Dragon Lance.  Call it a decade and half.

But Jim's work predates the game and serves as the source for the game.  The game models his world.  It was designed so you could RP with the game slanted through Jim's mind.

It was neither; any statement with even a hint of softness has been met with obfuscating bait-and-switch tactics.

I have been consistent in my replies throughout this discussion.  I do not obfuscate my point of view - I proclaim it to the world.

Seriously, do you have doubts whatever about my position on this matter? I've spelled it out as clearly as possible time after time.

Combined, the two rulebooks have enough info about the DV to run a game.  They explain Harry's World in YS, they list what is it what (and who is who) in the DV in OW, and OW includes things that the average reader will have forgotten.  Of course they don't do it in exhaustive detail - for that you need the novels.

The novels, they are the source of the game.  They are what the rules attempt to emulate.  Anything you can point at and "See, it works differently in the game than in the novels" is a failure of the game.  Something that needs to be patched - patched by giving Listens To Wind greater shapeshifting or The Gatekeeper the worldwalker power, as has been suggested by the designers.

No, it's ignoring the difference between a game and associated fiction.

You are confusing the chicken and the egg.

Both DFRPG and DnD 3.5 have setting books. DFRPG has Our World. DnD 3.5 has campaign setting books. These are where game setting comes from. Novels are just novels. Art, entertainment, unrelated to the game itself.

For D&D, yes.  The novels are written based on the game.

For Dresden - no.  The game is based on the novel.

Thinking about all the time I've spent posting on this subject, I've decided that it is not worth it.  I didn't come here to argue - and since we can't find a common ground this debate is pointless.  I list quotes from the books, you ignore them.  I give examples, you pick away at the edge of the example without addressing the issue.  I draw parallels, you dismiss them.

Nothing I can say will change your mind.  Your continued repetition of "If it isn't in the part of the DFRPG that deals with what I consider rules then it's not part of the game" is never going to convince me that the DV isn't part of the game.

Let's just walk away from this issue.

Richard

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 10, 2012, 01:52:01 AM »
Until the next time you (or someone else, of course) assert(s) this opinion as fact, then, Richard, I too will leave it be.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 10, 2012, 02:21:38 AM »
It was neither; any statement with even a hint of softness has been met with obfuscating bait-and-switch tactics. This one allows no misinterpretation and is directed at no user, referencing only the strength of an argument. I hope that stating an argument is weak, even if I do so colorfully, is not expected to be a value judgment on the character of another human being. If I ever violate the ToS, I expect a moderator and not another user to note my conduct as unacceptable. While this debate has generated controversy and demanded a certain amount of directness, I see no calls for this kind of response.

Fair enough.  i just hope you like people being that blunt to you.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 10, 2012, 02:26:47 AM »
So.... the answer to this thread is basically ...

"Well, like; that's your opinion dude."

20 pages to come to this conclusion:

"People are going to do what they want at their table as they see fit.  People are going to ignore our opinions and topics if they see fit.  Many people who play this game likely do not even go to this forum."

Wish I thought of that. 

Offline Viatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 10, 2012, 02:50:27 AM »
So.... the answer to this thread is basically ...

"Well, like; that's your opinion dude."

No, that's the answer one side wishes to reduce it to in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. It's a little bit like saying "a physical attack causes stress" and a 20-page debate on whether or not that's true for no apparent reason.

Quote from: Richard_Chilton
I have been consistent in my replies throughout this discussion.  I do not obfuscate my point of view - I proclaim it to the world.

Your view is not obfuscating, your responses are.

Combined, the two rulebooks have enough info about the DV to run a game

And 100% of the RAW.

Let's just walk away from this issue.

I think we've reached a core of the discussion where it is impossible for you to continue to make arguments that assert that the greater Dresdenverse is necessary canon to the game. To be clear, if you stop responding, I have no need to reply, but there will not be a point when I feel that such false assertions should go unchallenged. Want to drop it? Fine. But every time it comes back up, expect exactly the same repetition of what DFRPG encompasses vs. what Richard_Chilton's homebrew DFRPG encompasses. As I've noted previously, I feel it's important that anyone who comes here looking to understand the game not be misled.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 10, 2012, 03:04:00 AM »
Would you please stop saying that I mislead people.

Richard