Author Topic: The JB writing community... thank you!  (Read 3478 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
The JB writing community... thank you!
« on: April 19, 2012, 05:10:21 PM »
I just posted this, but I really wanted to get it out into our entire community. I would prefer that we not list specific names, because you are sure to forget someone and then we'd feel terrible, but if you want to contribute your thoughts on what our writing community means to you--this can be the place to do it. And are you referring this writing community on to other writers? Bringing in new writers, also brings in new readers to JB. Both go hand in hand. *smiling*

Can I just take a moment and say thank you? As writers, we work in a solitary world. Having intelligent, thoughtful conversations like this are not only instructive--they are vital to learning and keeping a writing community bound together.

You guys are simply and completely awesome!  Thank you for being 'talking heads' that are so freaking willing to share you thoughts and knowledge!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Madd

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The JB writing community... thank you!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 07:39:21 PM »
I have a notebook where I keep tidbits and interesting thoughts I stumble across on these boards.  I won't be able to do any meaningful writing until I'm a little more entrenched in this job, but hopefully I'll be able to put that info to good use!

A big thanks to all  ;D

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 08:16:56 PM »
I'm actually working on a story that uses a story about one Forum member's relative.
(He gave me permission)  And something that happened to another Forum member.
And I like all the support you get here.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 08:18:23 PM »
okay this is new i feel the need to be quiet strange
any way you lot are a lot of help and give grat advice and information so thank you

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 05:16:20 AM »
It is very nice to have a place where you can talk to people with similar interests and at varying stages of their writing careers. The  resources that I have found due to the direction of other forum followers have been invaluable. The actual advice has been helping me to overcome some of the things that have blocked my writing. Thank you to all.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 04:06:52 PM »
I love this board, and thank you to all! For years I've had stories in my head but never took the time to try and write them. Then I started e-mailing a buddy of mine with the same interest in writing, and it motivated me to put my ideas to paper. After devouring Jim's books I found his site, then his amazing blog to help get started, then I found all of you! From this board I have found writing programs, articles, advice, do's and don'ts, and so much more. Best of all, I've found many more people like me, aspiring authors. Yes I know there are dedicated websites out there for such a thing, but I kind of look at this board like I would a private school - It's small, but with enough people that the setting is kept intimate. Most of the people on here you see their ID and you at least have some small inkling as to what they're currently doing. I love that!
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 12:52:20 AM »
this is a great place to be -- no ego, no sniping, all but helpful people and great discussions....

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 09:54:57 PM »
^
Iz very true!

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 01:23:13 AM »
this is a great place to be -- no ego, no sniping, all but helpful people and great discussions....

Craig

Careful now.  Either someone will prove you wrong or the rest of us will start getting heads swollen to the size of watermealons, as we binge contemplating our wonderful perfections. 8)

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 07:01:33 PM »
Careful now.  Either someone will prove you wrong or the rest of us will start getting heads swollen to the size of watermealons, as we binge contemplating our wonderful perfections. 8)

The Deposed King
lol you are silly  :)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 02:15:51 AM »
lol you are silly  :)

You've found me out, duricel bunny ;D

I'm all that and a bag of potato chips!  (really I'm just slightly dated and on a natural high from putting my first book up on Amazon!)

You can find it here:  http://www.amazon.com/Admiral-Spineward-Sectors-Novel-ebook/dp/B007WQSY44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335232665&sr=8-1

I put it under my son's name and dedicated it to him.  Because I have to leave for a while to work as a nurse.  He's too young right now but someday he'll see this and understand.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 02:31:43 AM »
Congratulations TDK. 
Way to go.

Offline Madd

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 02:37:04 AM »
You've found me out, duricel bunny ;D

I'm all that and a bag of potato chips!  (really I'm just slightly dated and on a natural high from putting my first book up on Amazon!)

You can find it here:  http://www.amazon.com/Admiral-Spineward-Sectors-Novel-ebook/dp/B007WQSY44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335232665&sr=8-1

I put it under my son's name and dedicated it to him.  Because I have to leave for a while to work as a nurse.  He's too young right now but someday he'll see this and understand.

The Deposed King

A big congratulations man!  I really want to get to work on my short stories.....just a couple more weeks, just a couple more weeks.

By the way, did you self publish?

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 04:16:32 AM »
A big congratulations man!  I really want to get to work on my short stories.....just a couple more weeks, just a couple more weeks.

By the way, did you self publish?

Yeah, I'm now an indie amazon author.  Personal first and a great sense of success having that first book out there.

The Deposed King

Offline Madd

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 04:22:01 AM »

Yeah, I'm now an indie amazon author.  Personal first and a great sense of success having that first book out there.

The Deposed King

I hope to follow in your footsteps sometime man.  Massive congratulations to your accomplishment!