Author Topic: Advice on Mental Toughness.  (Read 3033 times)

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Advice on Mental Toughness.
« on: April 16, 2012, 03:54:28 PM »
Welp, my first topic. Anyway.

So, it seems like, for balance reasons, everyone rules that self-inflicted stress bypasses all mental armor. But would a character with such a power still be able to make use of the extra mental stress boxes granted by toughness?

And to take it broader, how exactly does it work? Say a Fae is hit by a fist made up of steel. It bypasses toughness armor, but can the Fae still soak up the hit with the extra stress boxes it has from toughness?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: Advice on Mental Toughness.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 04:07:29 PM »
No. The Catch on a Toughness power bypasses both the armor and the extra stress boxes. The Catch makes it as if the Toughness power isn't there at all.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 04:09:32 PM »
Ah, I see. So for the first example, would you recommend not letting self-inflicted stress use up the extra stess boxes as well?

Offline eri

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 04:44:38 PM »
I'd say yes, you'd still be able to use them. You can bypass your own armour because, um, you start out inside it or know where all the chinks are or something, but  toughness isn't something you can turn on or off. Unless you use your own Catch of course, then that bypasses like normal.
The more you put in your brain the more it will hold – if you have one.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 08:24:06 PM »
Mr. Death is right about the Catch.

As for self-inflicted stress, it depends. If the stress is part of a cost for something, then you can't use your Toughness at all. If you're just attacking yourself for whatever reason, then you get your Toughness fully.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 12:36:59 AM »
According to the raw self inflicted stress bypasses any Armour (physical, mental etc) but does not count as a catch, so there is no reason why you couldn't use the extra stress boxes (other than balance reasons).   
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 01:11:29 AM »
Mr. Death is right about the Catch.

As for self-inflicted stress, it depends. If the stress is part of a cost for something, then you can't use your Toughness at all. If you're just attacking yourself for whatever reason, then you get your Toughness fully.

Would you be willing to provide a RAW source for these conclusions?
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 05:04:10 AM »
Sorry, should have specified: that's not RAW. It's just my opinion.

Since there's actually no way to get extra mental stress boxes by the RAW and no way to spend physical stress as a cost by RAW, the RAW obviously has nothing to say on the matter. I think.

Offline Vargo Teras

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 08:01:04 AM »
Sorry, should have specified: that's not RAW. It's just my opinion.

Since there's actually no way to get extra mental stress boxes by the RAW and no way to spend physical stress as a cost by RAW, the RAW obviously has nothing to say on the matter. I think.
You're not counting backlash as a cost here, I take it?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 10:24:42 AM »
There is a side bar in the book where they asks what happens if someone creates had a mental Armour stunt and reply that self-inflicted stress always bypasses Armour.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline eri

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 03:30:14 PM »
There is a side bar in the book where they asks what happens if someone creates had a mental Armour stunt and reply that self-inflicted stress always bypasses Armour.

YS250, for the curious.

I'm a bit unsure if backlash should count as "self-inflicted". I mean, my first instinct says that of course the Wizard doesn't intentionally cause a spell to backlash (and it therefore shouldn't count as self inflicted), but it's also clearly a conscious choice on the wizard's part to take it as backlash and not fallout, so they are in essence accepting that damage... Hm, I don't know
The more you put in your brain the more it will hold – if you have one.

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 04:33:32 PM »
YS250, for the curious.

I'm a bit unsure if backlash should count as "self-inflicted". I mean, my first instinct says that of course the Wizard doesn't intentionally cause a spell to backlash (and it therefore shouldn't count as self inflicted), but it's also clearly a conscious choice on the wizard's part to take it as backlash and not fallout, so they are in essence accepting that damage... Hm, I don't know
Shouldn't matter if it's intentional or not. If I clock my elbow on a countertop, that's not intentional, but it's still self-inflicted.

Personally, I'd stat this Toughness ability with a Catch (+0) of anything self-inflicted. Then, of course, other Catches besides, maybe, but definitely include that in the mix.
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 08:06:23 PM »
Serving as a Catch is far beyond merely bypassing armour, which is what that sidebar suggested.
I won't bother even getting into the beggaring of logic that results from such a ruling though, if simply 'clocking your elbow on a countertop' can bypass Mythic Toughness with a Catch of, say, Soulfire.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 08:34:24 PM »
I figure it's external vs. internal.

Anything causing damage from outside, whether the gun's wielded by you or your enemy, is subject to Toughness.

Something you do to yourself from inside--such as Backlash--would at the very least bypass armor.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 08:44:15 PM »
I know RAW is supposed to solve all problems and generally be infallible.

It doesn't and isn't all the time.  See the 20 page thread everyone loves to hate for proof.

Catches vs self inflicted damage

satisfy the catch: see below

Use common sense:

bumping your elbow? no -  falling down? No.  -  Harakiri/suicide? yes. -   bumping into a wall? no

caveat in all cases of no: if your actual catch is bumped, fallen on etc...yes it satisfies the catch

Backlash? yes

powering a spell with stress? yes ... why? game balance.  Not a good enough reason...thats fine, but keep in mind many rules in RAW make no sesne other than to provide game balance.

self sacrifice (life or blood etc) for a spell? yes

YMMV, your table your rules etc.