Author Topic: Loup-Garou Catch  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Loup-Garou Catch
« on: April 11, 2012, 02:57:17 PM »
The Loup Garou's catch is inherited silver, so I'm wondering if it has to be used by the person who inherited it, or does the silver have to have just been inherited at some point. If Murphy had handed her pistol off to Harry in Fool Moon, would the bullets have still had an effect?
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
Re: Loup-Garou Catch
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 03:26:10 PM »
The Loup Garou's catch is inherited silver, so I'm wondering if it has to be used by the person who inherited it, or does the silver have to have just been inherited at some point. If Murphy had handed her pistol off to Harry in Fool Moon, would the bullets have still had an effect?

In the story, Harry asks Bob about it.  If I remember correctly, Bob says the power in the inherited silver has to do with sacrifice.  To me this implies that, yes, the silver has to be your inheritance.  Murphy handing off the gun would likely render the bullets useless against ole' Lou. 

Granted, she told the other members of SI to take up her gun if she fell, but she didn't know the reasoning behind the power.  It's also possible that her saying that would have counted as "inheriting" the silver for the other members of SI; her death being the new sacrifice. 
... Who knows?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:29:14 PM by Orladdin »
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
Re: Loup-Garou Catch
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 09:35:30 AM »
I'm pretty certain that it has to be your own inheritance.

Otherwise the catch is far to easy to come by. Just go to the next antiquities store and pick up an old set of silver cutlery... it's most likely been inherited by someone at some point.
Getting something like that would have been easy for Marcone, but the states at some point that his parents where in no position to leave him anything, let alone anything made from silver.
Hence: Your own inheritance.

As for Murphy's gun, one might argue that by giving the instruction that others should take up her gun should she fall, she passes the gun to that person, making the bullets an inheritance once more.