Author Topic: A Magical Ineptitude Power  (Read 1144 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
A Magical Ineptitude Power
« on: March 30, 2012, 10:30:45 PM »
I was wondering how to stat-up someone like the worst witch (English Child Fiction) a person who technically has magic but is so inept at using that magic that it grants no mechanical advantage and often ends up getting in the way. Any ideas?
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: A Magical Ineptitude Power
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 10:33:04 PM »
Aspect. Compel as required.

Maybe don't even give them any spellcasting powers.

Or perhaps just don't give them high enough skills for proper casting.

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: A Magical Ineptitude Power
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 11:38:13 PM »
Remember that your character sheet represents how you interact with the story, not how your character 'actually is' so you also have to consider how effective you want your 'failures' to be.  For example, if want to place a maneuver on someone using evocation, I could narrate the effect of a successful evocation maneuver as me failing the evocation, and the actual aspect placed on the other guy could be 'laughing too hard to pay attention'.  But mechanically, I did and evocation and placed and aspect. 

Option 1:
Just have it as a character aspect, and invoke it for effect/compel if for the failures.

Option 2:
Get a one point power that lets you attempt maneuvers using a magical related skill (i.e. discipline, conviction, or lore), selected at the time the power is defined and call it 'minor magic'.

Option 3:
Take the full selection of magical power, and compel it all the time.