Author Topic: Inheriting Thresholds  (Read 1183 times)

Offline keilinger

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Inheriting Thresholds
« on: March 22, 2012, 02:33:16 AM »
Hey, new here! I searched around and can't find exact info on this:

How are thresholds transferred to new people?  If a wizard buys a house, do the thresholds just reset to basic?  What about inheriting a house with substantial thresholds?  How would you guys handle this in game?

Thanks for your help.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Inheriting Thresholds
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 02:56:51 AM »
If you're referring to a normal (non-ward) threshold, it won't stick around long.  It's not purpose built and doesn't have anything dedicated to extending duration - so it's going to degrade each sunup and sundown (and other time based thresholds such as equinoxes). 

Don't think there's anything official on how long it would take, but I'd say most thresholds would be gone by the time the new owner moves in.  (Closing on property in the US takes around a month...often more.  Also, any house on the market probably had several potential buyers walking through...and degrading the threshold since they aren't family.) 

Mechanically, I'd be tempted to allow a Declaration to specify a minor threshold remnant if the buyer has appropriate justification.  Without the declaration, there's no remaining threshold.  ;)

Welcome by the way!
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 04:04:47 AM »
Hey, new here! I searched around and can't find exact info on this:

How are thresholds transferred to new people?  If a wizard buys a house, do the thresholds just reset to basic?  What about inheriting a house with substantial thresholds?  How would you guys handle this in game?

Thanks for your help.

it would probably be gone if you are talking about "the family that lived here before we bought it for reasons already described, but if talking about "parents left the home kids grew up in to kid & family" type thing, it would probably continue on based on ghost story's example

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 04:12:21 AM »
YS actually mentions homes having BIG thresholds if they have been in a family for generations.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 04:55:19 AM »
My inclination is to say that thresholds will stick around for a bit if no one's living there (kinda how a house feels a bit like it's someone else's when you first move in), but once someone else starts living there then they begin to be replaced by the new owner's thresholds fairly quickly (within a week or two or three).

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 05:43:12 AM »
There's talk in the books about multi-generational thresholds.  How having people living in the same place for long periods of time adds up.

So maybe the threshold lingers for a few months, then the new family builds on top of the old family's.  As long as it is a family - family life ads more to a threshold than one person living alone.

Rules wise,  say 50 years or less of habitation gives a "standard" threshold, then +1 at 50 and every 25 years after that to a cap of +5? That could work...

Richard