Author Topic: Technomancy  (Read 4792 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Technomancy
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
Isnt the entire Matrix Technomagic?
I'd say so.  Arguably so is Star Wars
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
  • I like crows and ravens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 01:06:39 AM »
Quantus, the author you are talking about is AA Attanasio.
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.

Offline mithrandirthewhite

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 03:20:19 AM »

I'd say so.  Arguably so is Star Wars
I dont think so, since it was all just advanced technology; the mystical element was supplied by the Force. I would define SW as normal sci fi.  I see the Matrix as closer to Technomagic since it allows one to affect an alternate reality built by technology- or something along those lines, since I never watched the movies, I cant say.
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 07:51:44 AM »
Star Wars is not Technomancy its an epic space opera, yest their was some mystical elements but they didn't effect technology directly but more the living body and mind.

The Matrix is closer but not quite their in my opinion. The reason I think this is because Neo was not using magic to manipulate the Matrix but rather his mind and will. I would classify that more along the lines of Technopathy rather than Technomancy. A fine line to be sure but still one that I think is there.

From what i have seen technomancy is rather rare in pop culture. I have seen it used in RPG's in two different ways. First in Shadowrun where technomancers used magic to commune with the Ghost In the Machine GIM in the form of sprites that they could manipulate. They were essentially hackers that used spells rather than computers and astral projected themselves into the computer world. I have also seen it in the Rifts setting and to a lesser extent D&D with Techno Mages and Artaficers but that was more along the lines of infusing technology with magical properties like a gun that could fire shuriken and lighting. 
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
  • The Universe tried to erase Rory once. It exploded
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 11:39:22 AM »
I dont think so, since it was all just advanced technology; the mystical element was supplied by the Force. I would define SW as normal sci fi.  I see the Matrix as closer to Technomagic since it allows one to affect an alternate reality built by technology- or something along those lines, since I never watched the movies, I cant say.

I could not describe SW as normal sci-fi. It was fantasy in space. Still wasn't technomancy though.
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 09:08:19 PM »
Quantus, the author you are talking about is AA Attanasio.
Thats the one!  You are the first person Ive come across thats heard of the series.   :D
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
  • I like crows and ravens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 06:41:57 PM »
Star Wars is not Technomancy its an epic space opera, yest their was some mystical elements but they didn't effect technology directly but more the living body and mind.

The Matrix is closer but not quite their in my opinion. The reason I think this is because Neo was not using magic to manipulate the Matrix but rather his mind and will. I would classify that more along the lines of Technopathy rather than Technomancy. A fine line to be sure but still one that I think is there.

From what i have seen technomancy is rather rare in pop culture. I have seen it used in RPG's in two different ways. First in Shadowrun where technomancers used magic to commune with the Ghost In the Machine GIM in the form of sprites that they could manipulate. They were essentially hackers that used spells rather than computers and astral projected themselves into the computer world. I have also seen it in the Rifts setting and to a lesser extent D&D with Techno Mages and Artaficers but that was more along the lines of infusing technology with magical properties like a gun that could fire shuriken and lighting.

One game to check out would be Pinnacle's Deadlands: Hell on Earth, with is a dark fantasy mash-up of Road Warrior, and spaghetti westerns. There is a class called Junkers, who built machines from the remains of society, and infuse them with the spirits of machines.
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.