Author Topic: Were-things with hybrid form  (Read 1761 times)

Offline ChaosPhoenix

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Were-things with hybrid form
« on: March 15, 2012, 04:34:16 PM »
Hi there,
has anyone got experience with World of Darkness-like Were-beasts? The kind which are able to change into a hybrid wereform, basically a human on steroids. How would you build that kind of pc/ npc?

Thanks for your help :)

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Were-things with hybrid form
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 04:47:17 PM »
As far as mechanically creating, you would just make your human form limit fewer abilities. Normally a were has this:

Human form (+1) effecting:
  Inhuman strength (-2)
  Inhuman toughness (-2)
     The Catch (+0)
  Beast change (-1)

A were who retained some of his abilities outside of his form (say toughness for example) would look like this:

Inhuman toughness (-2)
  The Catch (+0)
Human form (+1) effecting:
  Inhuman strength (-2)
  Beast change (-1)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 04:49:01 PM by sinker »

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 05:41:36 PM »
Alternately if you are looking for three forms (one human having no abilities at all, one Hybrid with supernatural abilities and some amount of human function, and an animal form with supernatural abilities but all animal function) then I would suggest representing that by taking an aspect for your hybrid form. The major difference I see is that in your animal form you may be compelled because animals can't speak, or manipulate things well, etc. If you take an aspect representing your hybrid form then you can essentially negotiate with your GM, telling them that the compel isn't appropriate because of your other aspect (If you like you could think of it as the GM compelling one aspect, and then you immediately using that fate point to invoke another aspect for effect).

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 05:47:10 PM »
Alternatively, go with Human Form, True Shapeshifting and Modular Abilities, and aspects that limit you to the three forms.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline ChaosPhoenix

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 10:24:41 PM »
Thanks for the input so far. I've had a second look at the were-form entry. The wolf form has inhumane strength and speed, the same I would give a WoD Werewolf. I might just switch the animal form for a hybrid form. It has negative aspects too, because it's much more eye-catching, bigger etc.

Another thing: Are you (ruleswise) able to exchange supernatural powers later? E.g. upgrade from beast change to true shapeshifting? As GM I would allow it, if it fits the story, but is this covered in the rules too?

Thanks again :)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 10:34:01 PM »
If you want the hybrid and animal forms to be mechanically different, you could buy Beast Change twice. Or you could use this:

QUASI-MODULAR ABILITIES [-Varies]
Description: You have the ability to alternate between multiple powersets.
Musts: You must "pre-pay" a number of refresh points equal to the total value of each set of powers that this power affects, plus a surcharge of one refresh.
Skills Affected: Varies.
Effects:
Two Powersets. Pick out two sets of powers, each with a total refresh cost one less than the cost of this power. You may use either set of powers, although it takes a full action to go from using one to using the other. The GM decides what is and what isn't a valid choice for inclusion in the powersets provided by this power.
Item Of Power Collection [-0] You own multiple items of power. Design a number of Items Of Power equal to your Resources skill. At any given time, you may use or loan out items with a total refresh cost up to one less than the refresh cost of this power. You do not receive the Item Of Power discount. If you have the Tracing power, then you may summon and dismiss these Items Of Power out of and into thin air. If not, you must treat them as physical objects.

I honestly don't know about the upgrade-ability of powers.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 10:57:38 PM »
Another thing: Are you (ruleswise) able to exchange supernatural powers later? E.g. upgrade from beast change to true shapeshifting? As GM I would allow it, if it fits the story, but is this covered in the rules too?

There's enough precedent for that, yes. The minor spellcasting powers are explicitly designed so that they can be upgraded by full spellcasting ability. I consider it within the spirit of the rules to be able to upgrade/switch out powers to powers of a similar theme.

That said, True Shapeshifting is called out specifically in the RAW as being too much for a mortal to bear - a real sanity risk to anyone who is - at heart - a regular human.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 11:58:10 PM »
How would you build that kind of pc/ npc?
Depends on the intent.  Is the hybrid form granting some advantage?  Anything from passing as human under an overcoat to using armor or weapons may count as an advantage.  If advantages aren't the issue, I'd just narrate an appropriate description.  Egyptian god style partial changes, misshapen hunched and over-sized bipedal forms, and over-sized animal forms all work.  As long as fairly narrow changes in appearance are the only difference, there's no real need to jump through a lot of hoops.  On the flip side, if you want something with advantages of both shapes you should pay for it appropriately. 

Do note, this isn't from the RPG text.  Canon lists set types of "lycanthropy" and none are WoD style.  :)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Zenjoriki

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 01:23:11 AM »
I believe I would set it up as a normal Were creature with the hybrid form being the primary "were-form" then pick up a -1 upgrade to the Beast Form power simply allowing another form but I would suspect that the skill set of the Half-human form and the full animal form would be pretty similar. In that situation I would cover the having of 3 forms threw the use of character aspects.

Offline ChaosPhoenix

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 10:13:32 PM »
Thanks for the input, I think I'll try to make a template tomorrow. I haven't read the novels so far (but I'm going to!). For me wolfs with inhuman speed/ strength doesn't feel so right. At least not as PCs.

Regarding upgrading super natural powers, it would be ok for me to upgrade inhuman strength to superhuman strength over a long time. It's somehow weird (for me) that a refreseh 17 characters didn't get better at his supernatural abilities, but got a whole lot more of them.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:16:52 PM by ChaosPhoenix »

Offline Zenjoriki

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 05:30:48 PM »
The ungrading of powers should be no big deal. On YS91 it addresses alteing character between sessions, if not between sessions, as a GM, I would rule that you would need the full amount of refresh for the new power to do the upgrade; i.e. you are wanting to upgrade from inhuman (anything) to Superhuman (anything), so to do so mid session I would require the full 4 points of refresh needed to accomplish this (or an inventive use of a temorary upgrade option) of course this would then free up the 2 points of refresh previously used to purchase the inhuman power. The power desription for superhuman powers clearly state that they replace thier inhuman equivalents.