Author Topic: DFRPG Character Manager v2 beta  (Read 1896 times)

Offline yakoaohw

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files RPG Character Manager
DFRPG Character Manager v2 beta
« on: March 12, 2012, 09:52:42 PM »
Greetings fellow Dresdenites,

I have been working on version 2 of my character manager program for a while now and the time has come to try and squash all the bugs I've not found and test the features I've not tested. If you've used version 1 of my program, this will be very similar to that only I hope that instead of making the same mistakes of the past, I've made entirely new ones.

That being said, I need some volunteers. Probably about 5ish to 10ish or so to begin with to take a look through the program. There are a few requirements (nothing onerous, I think).

• You must be using Windows (sorry Mac people. Nothing against you, but this is how I program)
  • You must have .NET framework 4.0 or later (you can find that here:http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17851)
  • You must be willing to have odd and potentially horrific things happen to your character file. (I cannot stress this enough. Back up your character files. They should work just fine, but I don't want to destroy something you've put time into due to one typo in 15 thousand lines of code)
  • If you want to view character sheets the easy way, you must have IE 9 installed (even if you don't use it. The character sheet uses HTML5/CSS3 and IE 8 and earlier will ignore those parts. You can still view the sheet, it just looks terrible. The other option is that I included an "Export Character Sheet" option that will save an HTML files you can view in Firefox, Chrome, Opera or whatever you normally use.)
  • You must be willing to tell me about whatever errors you run into, or they will never get fixed. (I'm aware plenty of errors never got fixed with version 1, I'm hoping to do better this time.)
  • I also ask that you not pass the program around yet. It will have bugs and I'd prefer to limit the exposure until I can kill most of them. I'm not saying you can't share it around, but please don't yet. It is easier to troubleshoot a little at a time.

My hope is to get feedback and have a released version by the start if next month, depending on how much needs fixing. Just post in this thread if you are interested in testing and this evening I will send out links to the program (assuming of course no power outages or cooking catastrophes)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 10:14:39 PM by yakoaohw »

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: DFRPG Character Manager v2 beta
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 09:56:35 PM »
I'd love to help test it!
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 01:20:22 AM »
I have plenty of free time and would love to help test it.
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 04:31:58 AM »
Awesome, progress.

I'd like to help, but another DFRPG-related project is the last thing I need right now.

Offline Malraza

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 04:34:41 AM »
I'd love to help. It's been a few years sense I've played around with .Net and it would be nice to get back into it, even if it's only on the testing and debugging side.

Offline yakoaohw

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files RPG Character Manager
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 03:49:07 PM »
Thanks for volunteering. I'll post known bugs here to prevent duplication and cross them off once they are corrected.

• character import showing error when ' or " are used to indicate height
  • character sheet output creating invalid xml

Edit: I'm going to move these to the top post and maintain them there
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:30:31 AM by yakoaohw »

Offline dbrowne1974

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 12:41:05 AM »
Loved the first program, would love to help test the second.

Offline Soulless Mystic5523

• Posty McPostington
  • Icon lovingly crafted by ButMadNNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 02:01:04 AM »
If you're still looking for people to break... er I mean test, TEST you're program, I'm in. ;D
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN.

Death    Reaper Man   Terry Pratchett

DV SoullessMystic5523 V1.2 YR7 FR5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH++ WG CL++ SW+ BC+ MC---- SH[Murphy++, Molly+]

Offline Zindaar

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 09:29:52 AM »
Are you still looking for testers?

if you need a bit of help on the dev I can probably lend you a hand there too.