Author Topic: Stuck again. (Dmitri Chetsorgen stay out!)  (Read 1701 times)

Offline Taskill_Mckennan

• Participant
    • View Profile
Stuck again. (Dmitri Chetsorgen stay out!)
« on: March 05, 2012, 06:49:43 PM »
Alright so next week I'm doing a Lovecraftian horror episode for my group. They all seem to be powerful and with their gear and their powers it won't have the same feel of hopelessness, terrifying dread and What's around the next corner I'm hoping for. So multiple things here:
1. How do I impair their weapons and powers as such that they don't feel like their powerful
2. What things would you do in a Lovecraft horror session (have ideas already but looking for more input)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Stuck again. (Dmitri Chetsorgen stay out!)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 07:04:58 PM »
I was just at a panel at DunDraCon hosted by Kenneth Hite, and his assertion about this very subject was that, ultimately, Lovecraftian horror isn't about whether or not the players can kill things. It's that doing so is hopeless and futile. The threat of Cthulhu and such isn't merely personal oblivion, it is apocalypse, the complete breakdown of the natural order in the face of overwhelming and uncaring cosmic apathy and spite. GMs are encouraged to break the laws of physics, attack family and friends, and bring about eerie coincidences with disturbing implications for the nature of reality. All combined with the maddening realization that, even together, they are truly alone in the world for knowing about the threat at all and being unable or unwilling to doom anyone else with that knowledge: not friends, not authorities. The Mythos is almost like a virus which the protagonists think they can fight by isolating themselves from the rest of society and/or trying to attack the darkness.

The Dresden Files, though, is more about the players getting kicked around a lot before pulling themselves up by their bootstraps and saving the day. There are a significant number of factions which know about the nature of threat of the Outsiders, and they are empowered (or at least informed enough) to respond to it (some actively oppose it, others have accepted their power). And true: every Dresden story has an ever-growing thread of eventual doom, centered on an eventual Outsider incursion. It isn't *necessarily* the right venue for Lovecraftian horror, but it can be made to be.

Go back to the basics: the threat to family and friends, the danger of involving outside help, the isolation. Remove allies. Harm loved ones. In implausible and insane ways. Implicate the heroes in the very Mythos threat they are trying to fight, so now the very people they might trust for help - the police, the White Council and/or the Venators - are out to get them, and put them down hard. Make sure that the only out is through, and that "through" means giving up what is important to them.

And your players will need to *want* to play a horror game. It's not something you can really spring on them. The most common thing I hear is that the players need to be receptive to it because they just can't be forced to take it seriously otherwise. Anything can break that spell.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:07:28 PM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Gatts

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 07:06:46 PM »
I personally don't like the idea of impairing the players' abilities. For the Lovecraftian feel, I'd just build towards the feeling of hopelessness - like the best the characters can do is delay the inevitable. Of course, as GM it's really up to you.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 07:09:07 PM »
I personally don't like the idea of impairing the players' abilities. For the Lovecraftian feel, I'd just build towards the feeling of hopelessness - like the best the characters can do is delay the inevitable. Of course, as GM it's really up to you.

Agreed. Artificially hamstringing the players is a tricky proposition.

Although having them all wake up in a room with no exit, naked, with none of their equipment, surrounded by bizarre implements of torture, would be a great start to something. The horror without is second only to the horror within.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 07:12:38 PM »
Can't help much with the basic idea, but I do have some stats for Cthulhu. And I think that Belial wrote up some Shoggoths and other Outsiders at some point.

If you want, I can try and dig them up.

Offline Taskill_Mckennan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 01:12:19 PM »
Can't help much with the basic idea, but I do have some stats for Cthulhu. And I think that Belial wrote up some Shoggoths and other Outsiders at some point.

If you want, I can try and dig them up.
That'd be awesome I don't have a lot of time for stating since I'm getting the basic story written up since this is probably the most structured plot I've used I'm stealing a speech from mass effect 2 (modified a bit but still):
Dr.  Sanders Swore there was nothing living here..at least nothing that could hurt us at least beyond a few snakes and the like. We Trusted him. We trusted him. He was right. But even a dead god can dream. A god — a real god — is a verb. Not some old man with magic powers. It's a force. It warps reality just by being there. It doesn't have to want to. It doesn't have to think about it. It just does. That's what  Sanders didn't get. Not until it was too late. The god's mind is gone but it still dreams. He k-He knows now. He's tuned in on our dreams. If I close my eyes I can feel him. I can feel every one of us.” 
Found in a journal they find so yeah

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 04:39:58 PM »
A couple things you might want to use:

Incite emotion: terror, wrongness, etc.
Simply looking upon or being in the presence of Lovecraftian entities tends to drive people insane.  Sometimes even the knowledge of them can have this effect. 
Throw mental attacks around constantly.  Suggest consequences taken from these attacks be insanity-related in nature.  A big feature of Lovecraft is the ever-present threat of being driven utterly walnuts (This is something for which the DFRPG is actually perfectly suited.)  It even fits with the Lovecraft thing where using magic puts you closer to insanity.  You're more susceptible to the mental attacks of the entities.

As stated before: You can never defeat the otherworldly entities in Lovecraft.  The best you can hope for is to banish them, seal them away or return them to slumber.  Leave a hanging threat at the end of your story arc that the beings can come back at a moments' notice.
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline RevengeofTim

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 07:06:39 AM »
In a DFRPG game I ran, I did a lovecraftian session featuring Outsiders.

I got the horror out of one particular angle.
Magic slides off Outsiders.

My party consists of a 2 focused practitioners and a Sorcerer.
Think of Dresden's thoughts every time something just *ignores* his magic.

'Oh god, it isn't working!'
'Run, **** Run!'

For a compel, the sorcerer even messed his circle up (his hands were shaking so hard the chalk broke!)
They won by using their magic in a smart way, dropping rubble on them, shields and circle traps, running all the way.