Author Topic: New Power: Force of Will  (Read 3147 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: New Power: Force of Will
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 01:27:58 AM »
1. I really don't get the whole "DFRPG is story-based" thing. Obviously the story is very important, but I've never been able to work out why DFRPG is any more story-based than any other game.

2. Why would a consistent policy on what powers can do be less fun?

3. It's been my experience that good powergamers are generally good roleplayers. It's the guys who don't know the rules that you have to watch out for.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 02:02:37 AM »
1. I really don't get the whole "DFRPG is story-based" thing. Obviously the story is very important, but I've never been able to work out why DFRPG is any more story-based than any other game.
FATE is a system with mechanics for directly modifying the narrative.  That's probably what most people are referring to when calling it 'story based'.  It's not the most evocative phrase, but it does seem to be the most common.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Zenjoriki

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 02:14:08 AM »
And mechanics for the narritive directly modifying your character. Not sure what other games your have played but in them it is extremely uncommon for the creation of the character's story to be the main aspect of character creation and then directly tie that into what your character can do in game. For most games that is just fluff. And I agree that most powergamers are masters of the rules and being a powergamer doesn't neccessarily mean that you are not a good gamer, but it does generally mean that your deftness with the rules is used to manipulate power levels (in game) to your favor.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 10:06:53 PM »
I fail to see how narrative mechanics make stories more important.

And most games I've seen make character creation mostly about stories.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 10:21:52 PM »
I fail to see how narrative mechanics make stories more important.
Did someone say they did?  I missed it.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 09:55:02 PM »
Wich is what is so awesome about DFRPG, Story is king!