Author Topic: Changeling abilities  (Read 3465 times)

Offline Sjappo

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Changeling abilities
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 10:45:33 AM »
Thanks for the answers.  He's got his powers set like:

Human Form [+1], affecting:
    - Beast Change (insert alternate form here) [-1]
    - Inhuman Strength [-2]
    - Inhuman Toughness [-2]
    - The Catch: Fae Stuff [+1]

But can he just do a partial change to grant him the Inhuman Strength??  That's where I'm unclear
But of a min-maxing question really but this doesn't make sense to me. I get +1 from human form no matter how many powers I link it to. The "best" way to do this is have it link to the least usefull power or power which would be least affected. Like:
Beast Change [-1]
- Human Form [+1]
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
- Catch [+1]
for a total refresh cost of -3.

[edit typos]

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 03:51:43 PM »
But of a min-maxing question really but this doesn't make sense to me. I get +1 from human form no matter how many powers I link it to. The "best" way to do this is have it link to the least usefull power or power which would be least affected. Like:
Beast Change [-1]
- Human Form [+1]
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
- Catch [+1]

[edit typos]

You can't link the human form only to beast change and still get the rebate.  You can never reduce the cost of a power to zero through rebates.
You could however, restrict just the Strength with the human form, which means he'd only be stronger when he's full-bodied beast, but still has the Toughness when human.

Or you could increase his toughness by a level and then apply the Human Form rebate to that in conjunction with the catch.
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 04:30:02 PM »
Beast Change [-1]
- Human Form [+1]
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
- Catch [+1]

[edit typos]
The total refresh is still -3 either way, whether it's (-1+1-2-2+1) or (+1-1-2-2+1).
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 05:29:06 PM »
The total refresh is still -3 either way, whether it's (-1+1-2-2+1) or (+1-1-2-2+1).
Yes, it's the same either way -- but only if he places the disadvantage on something that will actually give him the rebate for it.  And specifically which powers he attaches to that disadvantage does matter.  Just because the math comes out the same does not preclude writing down specifically what powers are attached to what drawbacks.
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 05:34:22 PM »
Beast Change [-1]
- Human Form [+1]
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
- Catch [+1]

From a pure mechanics standpoint, yes that is better. However you have to look at it from a thematic standpoint too. If it makes sense for all of the other powers to be accessible in your human form then go for it, though it seems odd to me that you could change forms (with beast change) without removing your human form...

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 06:46:42 PM »
Human Form on a character with Beast Change normally means "these powers are only available when using Beast Change". Sure, Human Form can provide it's own shapeshifting. But it doesn't have to.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 06:50:06 PM »
I also vote against partial transformation. That would be the realm of True Shapeshifting, which is something that would drive a mere mortal insane.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Sjappo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 09:28:24 PM »
Sorry if my suggestions was not exactly legal. My knowledge of this system is not that extensive.

The point was that mechanically it was possible for the character to have either toughness or strength always on. So to make the one that is always on activatable in stead has mechanically no repercussions. It's a self nerf if anything.

Making both toughness and strength activatable may or may not be worth the +1 refresh. I don't know. I'd be inclined to allow it and have the change have some visible changes on the character. And add an aspect for the GM to tag or invoke. That should balance it out.

From what I've read so far magic trumps anything else so this change wouldn't upset the balance to much.