Author Topic: What happens when a fae (malk) dies in our world?  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Doc Chaos

• Posty McPostington
  • He who cannot deny Fate
    • View Profile
What happens when a fae (malk) dies in our world?
« on: March 02, 2012, 10:48:46 AM »
Do fae (in this case, a malk) leave corpses? Do they melt away on death?
Surely there is not another language that is so slipshod and systemless, and so slippery and elusive to the grasp.
-from 'The awful German language' by Mark Twain

Offline Praxidicae

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: What happens when a fae (malk) dies in our world?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 11:34:33 AM »
Interesting question. The only instance of a fae creature being beaten in the mortal realm that I can think of offhand is Murphy and Dresden vs the Chlorofiend, but as that was basically a construct creature I'm not sure whether that would count anyway.

I'd suggest that this falls under the GM Fiat, and so long as you can justify it leaving a body, or not, go ahead. The only exception to this would be that I'd say Changlings should always leave a body. Until they choose whether or not to embrace their Fae parentage they have 1 foot firmly stuck in the mortal realm.

For a Malk, I dunno. You could have it leave a corpse and have the authorities embrace "Sunnydale Syndrome" and declare it an escaped zoo animal. Or have it dissolve into the shadows with the rising sun (I think they're creatures of shadow and darkness aren't they?).

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 02:25:46 PM »
I believe Dresden makes a comment in Small Favor about Fae leaving corpses (being not wholly of the NN), so unless there's a compelling reason not to, I'd say yes they do.

But if it suits your game better for there not to be, then don't.  :)

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 02:30:16 PM »
I second what katarn said with addendum that the Hobbs left bodies behind that didn't turn into ectoplasm. They did burn away in the light though so there is plenty of wiggle room for your gm to have the result that makes your story as cool as it can be.

Offline Doc Chaos

• Posty McPostington
  • He who cannot deny Fate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 02:39:50 PM »
Well, since I am the GM... ;) I can work both version, just wanted to know if there was a canon answer for it and I couldn't think of it of the top of my head and couldn't find something right away. Thanks guys!
Surely there is not another language that is so slipshod and systemless, and so slippery and elusive to the grasp.
-from 'The awful German language' by Mark Twain