Author Topic: A More Codified Take on Hexing  (Read 2967 times)

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: A More Codified Take on Hexing
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 10:13:55 PM »
Well, the better system is already in the RAW: compel it when it seems appropriate.  Which is still arbitary (or more), but much less complex.  (I had meant to close with that, but failed my Edit roll.)

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 11:50:36 PM »
I figure accidental hexing happens all the time.  May even mention it as an aside on occasion.  TVs go 'staticy' (Is that a word? :) ) as you walk by, a passerby loses a cell signal, some kid's jukebox shorts out, etc.  Those aren't worth compels. 

Compels are only used when it affects the narrative - when the hexing moves beyond scenery to become a complication.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 12:00:36 AM »
I figure accidental hexing happens all the time.  May even mention it as an aside on occasion.  TVs go 'staticy' (Is that a word? :) ) as you walk by, a passerby loses a cell signal, some kid's jukebox shorts out, etc.  Those aren't worth compels. 

Compels are only used when it affects the narrative - when the hexing moves beyond scenery to become a complication.
That's what we do. Every time one of our wizards gets into a car, it's mentioned that the radio or something starts flipping channels on its own. It's only once the wizardry breaks down the car that someone gets a fate point for it.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 02:11:03 AM »
All of the above aside, I think the original point was one of trying to sort of standardize how often this happens.  In other words, you could hex the character's car/gun/whatever every time it's used.  But that would get old quickly.  On the other hand, those things ought to get hexed at least some times, too.

I suspect that setting a 'goal' of at most one or two compel-worthy hexes a session is probably about right (plus any number of 'ambiance' hexes as appropriate).  And then let the player self-compel beyond that (keeping in mind that it doesn't count as a compel if its not an advantage).