Author Topic: Pulling In Magic For Later  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Pulling In Magic For Later
« on: February 22, 2012, 05:10:23 AM »
So, back in Small Favor, when
(click to show/hide)

How might this be modeled in game?

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking that it was a series of maneuvers Harry made on himself with either Conviction or Discipline, which he later tagged to get passed the scene aspect that was limiting magic.

Of course, Harry was also apparently giving himself a headache holding on to the magic, so maybe it was a series of quick evocation maneuvers? Or drawing in the power (and marking off the mental stress) right at the start, and releasing/controlling it later? Like maybe he made four five-shift Spirit evocations just to pull in the power, giving him 20 shifts of magic that he could divvy up and throw out as spells later on?

Thoughts?
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Pulling In Magic For Later
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 05:44:00 AM »
I'd deal with it via aspects. The headaches could be compels (if they are bad enough) or simply narrative flavor.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
I'd treat it similar to your idea, only a bit different. Instead of precasting spells, I would have the wizard decide how many shifts of mental stress he wants to use and if he wants to take any consequences. Those get marked and are the only resources the wizard has during that conflict. When he actually uses them they get crossed out as usual. If he didn't take enough stress/consequences in the beginning, he'll have a problem. If he took too much and didn't use them, he's got a headache for nothing.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 04:46:46 PM »
Thoughts?
He's making declarations and/or maneuver and taking consequences (mild) to counter a block.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 06:04:12 PM »
I like the stress idea- on a 1:1 ratio.  The amount of stress/consequences the character is willing to take is the extra shifts they can pull.  Maybe make the consequences 2:1 (shifts:consequence-stress), since they're limiting themselves even before combat.