Author Topic: Worldwalker and Custom Lore question  (Read 1113 times)

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Worldwalker and Custom Lore question
« on: February 12, 2012, 05:08:57 AM »
My question on Worldwalker comes from the Strange Worlds trapping of the power.
"By dint of using this ability
and not, y’know, dying or getting enslaved in
Faerie or the like, you’ve had enough exposure
to the Nevernever to have a degree of familiarity
with it. All Lore and Survival checks
regarding the geography of the Nevernever
and other trivia involving it are made at +2,
and you may use Lore instead of Survival
while there."

My biggest issue is, for the most part this power, for this price and what is given seems underpriced.  Its like having Ritual for just opening holes between the nevernever and our world, and a super powered stunt.  +2 to Lore AND Survival regarding going around the place and any trivia, AND any roles that would normally be Survival could be used with Lore instead.  It feels like a built in stunt, but like I said, its on steroids.  So I guess this is more of an issue with a power offering too power for its cost, rather than a question >.<

My second part, the question, was that I was thinking on trying to come up with a Stunt to entail familiarity and experience with navigating within the nevernever  spoiler
(click to show/hide)
  Then I saw this, and it made me want to cry >.<  Anyway, any hints or precedent in anyone else's games for a stunt of some such similar effect?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 06:00:47 AM by jybil178 »
my 2 cents

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Worldwalker and Custom Lore question
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 07:09:58 PM »
Powers are, almost by definition, overpowered stunts.  Worldwalker isn't underpriced in my opinion, for two reasons: It's a non-combat power, and it ONLY applies when you want to travel the NeverNever.  I don't expect very many games to spend more than even a quarter of the game time actually inside or passing through the NeverNever.  That said, if you were specifically running a game set in the NeverNever, or where travel through the NeverNever was a major every-session part of the game, then I could see restricting or increasing the cost of this power.

Offline mithrandirthewhite

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 12:39:38 AM »
Would it still be overpowered if it was the end of the line goal of lesser feats/   That way you build up to it and thus face other creatures who's powers make the World Walker neseccary
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 04:00:22 AM »
One of the PCs in my game has the power but it's mostly been an inconvenient escape route and a place to stash inconvenient bodies.  The inconvenience is notable, it's not a teleport spell.  It may 'shorten' any journey to a few hours but that's not a lot of help when you're talking about going from once side of the city to the other.  Probably a wash given DC traffic.  :)

It hasn't been overpowered at all in play.  Early on the player expressed regret over buying it and considered replacing with something else.  Think he's relatively happy with it now though - if nothing else, it's kept them from having to answer a few awkward questions from the police.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 05:27:20 AM »
I think it's pretty appropriately priced. It's like 3 stunts plus a watered-down version of thaumaturgical worldwalking. 2 Refresh seems about right.

PS: I don't think that powers are overpowered stunts. They're often more like a whole bunch of stunts put together at a discount.