Author Topic: Enchanted Gun?  (Read 5199 times)

Offline Logiwonk

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Enchanted Gun?
« on: February 09, 2012, 10:29:49 PM »
So I'm gearing up to start my first DFRPG game with my group (we've played all 4E D&D up to this point with a brief flirtation with Mutants and Masterminds).  One of my plays is obsessed with the idea of enchanted guns.  I've told him three times now that it's a non-starter, that any enchantment you put on a gun would make it essentially unusable.  It would jam constantly at best and explode at worst.  I'm at the point where if he asks me one more time I'm going to give it to him...and he can deal with the consequences, which will include the gun malfunctioning.  I was also thinking about just making the gun weak - so if you have a Lore of 4 for example, you'd have to spend 2-3 shifts of that on containment wards to prevent the enchantment from interacting with the gun leaving you a total of 1 shift for whatever you want to enchant the gun to do.  Not to mention the risk of violating the first law by killing a person with a magic gun.  Thoughts?

Offline CottbusFiles

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Enchanted Gun?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 10:44:15 PM »
The gun could be enchanted by dwarfs or the spirit of the wild west or Hephasteos (how do you spell that?)
Carefully enchanting an old revolver could work.
It could be holy in nature.

Killing a person with a magic gun... I don't know. Did you enchant it?
Trouble Aspect : The nazis are trying to kill me
                       I have a phoenix inside of me
                       Nothing goes like i want it to

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 10:59:43 PM »
I'm at the point where if he asks me one more time I'm going to give it to him...and he can deal with the consequences, which will include the gun malfunctioning.  I was also thinking about just making the gun weak - so if you have a Lore of 4 for example, you'd have to spend 2-3 shifts of that on containment wards to prevent the enchantment from interacting with the gun leaving you a total of 1 shift for whatever you want to enchant the gun to do. 
Just to be certain, we're discussing a thaumaturgically enchanted item and not an Item of Power correct?  What does he want to enchant the gun with?  For that matter, how modern a gun are we talking about?

I'd suggest enchanting bullets rather that the gun for anything damage related.  Among other things, it explains why your overcharged attack runs out after a set number of uses each scene. 

If he's going for something else, I'd tell him the gun gains the "Enchanted Gun" aspect (or something thematically appropriate).  Then I'd compel that aspect to break the gun on occasion.

Whether or not it breaks a Law will depend on a variety of factors and is up to the group.  Even if it doesn't, it may still get warden attention...and potential action.

Edit:  The aspect could also be done either by GM declaration or even by having him put a related aspect on his character - "Gun Mage" or something similar.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 11:13:25 PM by UmbraLux »
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Adin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 11:57:52 PM »
Only a gun enchanted by purely mortal magic would have that issue, why not pick a famous gunsmith and say that they were actually a Half Dwarf or something to justify an item of power.  For that matter, revolvers have been repeatedly shown to be just about immune to even the sloppiest of wizardly murphyonic fields so it shouldn't be an issue in any case.

My point being, even within the lore it is possible to have a dresden files magic gun wielder.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 12:26:04 AM »
For that matter, one of the short stories - specifically,
(click to show/hide)
- includes an enchanted bullet, probably modeled in DFRPG terms using the potion rules.  Of course, it is fired using a very old style (flintlock!) gun.

So, enchanted gun?  Totally doable.  Just, y'know, maybe a bit clunky.

...Though, personally - how awesome would it be to substitute an enchanted flintlock pistol in place of Harry's blasting rod?  Pretty darned awesome, imo.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 02:23:11 AM »
Harry exposes his revolver to magic frequently (though not directly) with little trouble.  In the novels, I believe the basic rule is that technology rooted in the last 50 years or so is prode to accidental hexing, with older technology being fairly reliable.

As to direct exposure to magic in the form of a long-term enchantment, perhaps as a guideline you could take a look at the hexing table, YS258.  While modern firearms are fairly easy to hex (4 power), older ones are much harder (7-8).  So if you want to restrict how much magic an item can withstand, you could say that a 19th century pistol would be safe with up to a 6 shift enchantment, quirky at 7 shifts ("Simple guns may stop working at inopportune moments"), and broken at 8 shifts.  This might be overkill, given that those numbers are how much power is required to cast a deliberate hex spell, but it would be fair to say that those numbers at least would be safe.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 06:46:19 AM »
If it's an Item of Power, then there's no problem.

If it's an Enchanted Item, then I suppose he'll get compelled a lot to have it fail. But that's okay, Fate Points are yummy.

Offline Praxidicae

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 07:51:03 AM »
I'd go for enchanting the ammunition personally, thats the part that really matters. I'd build the PC as a "Rune-smith" or Alchemist using the Focussed Practitioner template (with a few extra 'gun-nut' related stunts) with Ritual: Crafting and a bunch load of Refinement stunts with the slots left open for extra enchanted items. The rules for potions can really easily be used for enchanted ammunition, whether its enchanted arrows, potion grenades or rune-laden bullets, it also quite nicely limits the number of special shots the player gets per scene, and can avoid complicating things by enchanting a relatively modern item.
As a plus it means that not only is the players ammunition supply limited, he has to invest crafting time to rebuild his stock, and if he continuously relys upon the "rolling Lore/Fate point to declare that he coincidentally has an appropriate bullet" shtick, well I'd compel the heck out of that, "Well, you've been sooo busy chasing these Black Court Vampires all over town you just haven't had time to get around to restocking your ammo...", on the other hand, if the player finds just having enchanted ammo a bit limiting, this allows him to build some enchanted items to supplement/replace some of his ammo (enchanted night vision goggles, enchanted spotter's scope, magical stealth suit...)

I kinda want to stat out this PC now...

Offline celticdm

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 08:00:05 AM »
I'd go for enchanting the ammunition personally, thats the part that really matters. I'd build the PC as a "Rune-smith" or Alchemist using the Focussed Practitioner template (with a few extra 'gun-nut' related stunts) with Ritual: Crafting and a bunch load of Refinement stunts with the slots left open for extra enchanted items. The rules for potions can really easily be used for enchanted ammunition, whether its enchanted arrows, potion grenades or rune-laden bullets, it also quite nicely limits the number of special shots the player gets per scene, and can avoid complicating things by enchanting a relatively modern item.
As a plus it means that not only is the players ammunition supply limited, he has to invest crafting time to rebuild his stock, and if he continuously relys upon the "rolling Lore/Fate point to declare that he coincidentally has an appropriate bullet" shtick, well I'd compel the heck out of that, "Well, you've been sooo busy chasing these Black Court Vampires all over town you just haven't had time to get around to restocking your ammo...", on the other hand, if the player finds just having enchanted ammo a bit limiting, this allows him to build some enchanted items to supplement/replace some of his ammo (enchanted night vision goggles, enchanted spotter's scope, magical stealth suit...)

I kinda want to stat out this PC now...

Yeah, I had an enchanter like this in a game I ran. Had lots of different bullets enchanted as potions for a big ass revolver, and a bunch of maglites, each with two or three elemental attacks. He had a special gun harness made for them that could go under a leather duster. He'd have gone for four at a time if I didn't tell him it would affect his endurance and athletics checks...

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 04:17:08 PM »
I wonder, has anyone come across the Bow version of this concept? Enchanted Bow/Potion Arrows sounds like an interesting idea...
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 04:33:54 PM »
Just to be clear one can compel him to make the gun not work. One can never compel him to make the magic not work (or at least not using the hexing compel). If he shoots the gun with the magic ammo then you shouldn't be compelling to make that go awry.

Offline Logiwonk

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 07:19:27 PM »
Good points all, thanks very much for the input.  I'm talking with the player now and we'll probably either go the Bullets As Potions route or with the gun as an Item of Power, something like Wyatt Earp's Gun (character as an upholder of law, especially against the supernatural) or the 1st Winchester Rifle (character is a super NRA jingoist who still supports manifest destiny), etc.  I like it as an item of power since we don't have to worry about 1st Law issues that way and it will add some depth to the character.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 07:27:48 PM »
Just as a note if you go the item of power route: Don't make it grant the "breath weapon" power - it doesn't need that; it gets its usability as a ranged weapon just off of the item of power "It Is What It Is" entry.

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 07:31:14 PM »
Good points all, thanks very much for the input.  I'm talking with the player now and we'll probably either go the Bullets As Potions route or with the gun as an Item of Power, something like Wyatt Earp's Gun (character as an upholder of law, especially against the supernatural) or the 1st Winchester Rifle (character is a super NRA jingoist who still supports manifest destiny), etc.  I like it as an item of power since we don't have to worry about 1st Law issues that way and it will add some depth to the character.

Remember, wardens carry warden swords because beheading someone with a magical weapon explicitly bypasses the first law.  You're killing them with the sword even if the magic on the sword helps, it's not what does the killing.
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 07:41:52 PM »
Just as a note if you go the item of power route: Don't make it grant the "breath weapon" power - it doesn't need that; it gets its usability as a ranged weapon just off of the item of power "It Is What It Is" entry.

Unless you want to give it some sort of elemental attack; which the gun-as-a-gun wouldn't have... though you can probably discount range by saying it's tied to the bullets...  I'd need to go back and re-read breath weapon.  I can't remember exactly what options it has.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 07:59:07 PM by Orladdin »
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys