Author Topic: My first Ward, Feedback please.  (Read 1678 times)

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
My first Ward, Feedback please.
« on: February 08, 2012, 08:36:51 PM »
So here is my first attempt at the ward I would like.  Please tell me if I am way off.

•   Duration of a few months, 5 shifts
•   Basic barrier / power 8, 8 shifts
•   Gravity Sink Landmine (persistent block against movement – bullets and flying things are pulled to the ground as well as people without they key will be pulled to the ground and held by extreme gravity – not crushed just held), 12 shifts consisting of:
•   Four zones (10 feet of yard around house on 4 sides), 8 shifts
•   Persistent, for 3 additional rounds of time, 3 shifts
•   Total of 36 shifts, at 15 minutes per exchange it will take 9 hrs to cast trickling in 1 shift of power per exchange.  If 2 shifts are put in it will take 4.5 hrs.
•   With a lore of +5 I would need 31 shifts to be made up through declarations, Aspects and what not.

Does it look right?  Or am I way off.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: My first Ward, Feedback please.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 11:34:17 PM »
I replied over here.  Though there appear to be some differences here.  Was that intentional?
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 11:44:52 PM »
As UmbraLux said, bullets are not a form of movement. But an evocation block could easily work against both bullets and movement.

Though IIRC the rules for zone blocks are a little sketchy. They say you can spend 2 shifts to block all allies in a zone but don't say anything about blocking enemies.

Making a key costs extra complexity.

Landmine cost doesn't seem to add up. Does the 12 shifts include the duration and area?

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 12:08:48 AM »
As UmbraLux said, bullets are not a form of movement. But an evocation block could easily work against both bullets and movement.
Can it do so and still affect zones / multiple targets?
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 12:24:04 AM »
Like I said, said rules are a bit sketchy. I don't know.

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 12:26:56 AM »
That's what I get for doing it from memory while at work away from notes and books.  Sorry for the typos.

So is there a way to block bullets or not?  Is the idea possible in any way?

Yes it is slightly different from the other thread, again from memory - sorry.

I will go through and clean it up.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 12:38:20 AM »
So is there a way to block bullets or not?  Is the idea possible in any way?

Totally possible. Here's the thing. You've come up with a great justification that would prevent people from moving and prevent most attacks. The thing is mechanically it's two different effects. Mechanically you can't have a single block that works against more than one kind of action (attack, maneuver, move, etc) on more than one target.

So what you have to do is create two separate blocks, both part of the ward, but with different mechanical purposes. One that blocks all attacks and another that blocks all movement.

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 01:51:26 AM »
OK, so here is my revised ward and I hope my Math is right.

•   Duration of a few months, 5 shifts
•   Basic barrier / / power 8, 8 shifts
•   Key for safe passage though, 2 shifts
•   Gravity Sink Landmine (Walls of house are protected by Armor:4, bullets and flying object are pulled to the ground before they hit the house), 8 shifts
•   Gravity Cage Landmine (persistent block against movement – Living creatures are pulled to the ground and held by extreme gravity – not crushed just held), 19 shifts consisting of:
•   Block:8 vs. movement, 8 shifts
•   Four zones (Kitchen/Living Area, 2 Bedrooms, Hall/Bath), 8 shifts
•   Persistent, for 3 additional rounds of time, 3 shifts
•   Total of 5+8+2+8+19=42 shifts, at 15 minutes per exchange it will take 10.5 hrs to cast trickling in 1 shift of power per exchange.  If 2 shifts are put in it will take 5.25 hrs.
•   With my character’s Lore of +5 I would need 37 shifts to be made up through declarations Aspects and what not.

Is this better?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 11:43:21 AM »
The Sink and Cage need to pay separately for the zones and duration.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 02:10:23 AM »
Do they? If the block Vs attack is protecting the house then does the house count as a single target? I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 05:25:44 PM by sinker »

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 05:14:07 PM »
There is a point there.  Of course, the duration would still need to be paid separately, and a block working under such rules likely would not, under the RAW, protect anyone inside the home from bullets shot through windows, etc.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 05:28:13 PM »
I wouldn't argue about duration, but wouldn't attacks shot through the windows have to break the windows thus damaging the home?

Ok, I just realized that I'm arguing thematics over mechanics. Sorry. You would totally have to add zones.