Author Topic: So I'm probably missing something  (Read 7186 times)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: So I'm probably missing something
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2012, 07:02:20 PM »
Consider: shouldn't someone's aspects actually guide how they intend to play their character?  Isn't that the whole point?

Yes, and when doing so represents a disadvantage, they're to be compensated for the (self-/)compel with a FP.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2012, 07:24:10 PM »
What Tedronai said.

Ideally, the player would never have the opportunity to try the subtle spells. The GM would compel him as soon as it becomes clear that a subtle spell would be helpful in any given situation.

Offline CottbusFiles

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2012, 07:45:46 PM »
What Tedronai said.

Ideally, the player would never have the opportunity to try the subtle spells. The GM would compel him as soon as it becomes clear that a subtle spell would be helpful in any given situation.

This is right. It's hard to do at first but in my opinion FATE works that way. Compel as much as you can  8) the Story will write itself

Edit:
I agree there, but what I meant was someone choosing aspects that specifically counter the way they intend to play their character in order to farm FP that way.  If their aspects are geared toward thuggish spells, and the player always tries subtle spells first (tugging out the compels) they get a free-flowing source of fate points at no real disadvantage-- they're doing it intentionally.

Consider: shouldn't someone's aspects actually guide how they intend to play their character?  Isn't that the whole point?

Aspects guide how you get and spend FATE Points. They help you a lot in how to play your character but mostly they are there to let you interact with FATE Points. This is a really gamist concept but it works really well.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:01:35 PM by CottbusFiles »
Trouble Aspect : The nazis are trying to kill me
                       I have a phoenix inside of me
                       Nothing goes like i want it to

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2012, 02:24:09 AM »
My 2 cents, for mental stress dealing illusion I would require the same thing that mortals need to deal mental stress to each other: Intimate knowledge of the target, or special training in torture.