Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc  (Read 129596 times)

cenwolfgirl

Re: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc
« Reply #435 on: June 25, 2012, 06:00:55 PM »
right them all as a list then close your eyes and choise one at randome
then if that dose not work do it again
?

yeah biology papper handed in
i rely need to have a few more hours in the day

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 25, 2012, 06:04:17 PM »
LOL!  That might work as well as anything.

Yes, please, more hours in the day!   :)
"I exist, therefore, I obsess."

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #437 on: June 25, 2012, 06:06:55 PM »
well it is not totaly random but it might work
just a serjestion

yes yes and less sleep needed

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 26, 2012, 03:12:16 AM »
Couple thousand words tonight, and a thousand or so yesterday. 

What seems to work best for me is the David Drake approach:  Plan on writing 500 words a day, barring illness or unexpected houseguests and the like, anyway.  Drake Lite I guess?

Both times, once I sat down, I realized I'd blown way past my quota and had fun doing it.

Another thing I've decided works for me is not to force myself to write the story chronologically.  Today I had a particular scene just come to life and do a song and dance number in my melon while I was doing my Cubicle Drone In Sub-section Whisky Tango Foxtrot.  It was a scene that was a couple chapters down the road, but when I got home I figured I'd get it while it was hot because the way my brain works, the intervening scenes would ripen and demand attention in their own good time.  Worked out pretty good.

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 26, 2012, 12:56:06 PM »
Wow it feels good to be posting on this topic again! This has been a crazy year so far. My wife earned her masters degree in April and now has a job which is awesomesauce. Then there's my 2 year old and 6 month old fighting over me, and finally in the last couple months when things started slowing down, I had a literary identity crisis of what the hell to write haha. But now I can safely say I'm back on track.

I spent a year writing a story and ended up with 76,000 words which is amazing, but it was a VERY rough draft, and I was very confident that it was best left alone for now. So instead I look at it as my practice piece. Maybe one day I'll return to it when I believe it can be fixed and altered to a degree where I'm satisfied with it.

But for now I've moved on to a new story, which I classify as a Dystopian Urban Fantasy (DUF!) Just under 1,000 words written yesterday. So far it has a good cast, and I believe the story will be enjoyable. I'm hoping to have the first draft finished by the end of August. We'll see! Just have to keep writing!
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #440 on: June 26, 2012, 02:05:54 PM »
Wow yay well done you
1,200 words :o
That is rely good
My word xount to day is 700
Its all for biology
So not intresting but it was still fun
And is the most I have written all week
I have been busy
I am going to go home and try and do 100 words on my book
:)

Good luck everyone and well done ;D

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 27, 2012, 01:28:30 PM »
Another 1000 words written yesterday for my DUF! I'm on a roll and it's feeling good! I'm also close to putting the finishign touches on my blog, which will have everything from books, movies and game commentaries/reviews, to my writing progress on my current work. With any luck that will be up and running by the weekend and I'll put the link in my signature.
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #442 on: June 28, 2012, 02:51:13 AM »
Nice going you guys.

I still haven't done much real writing, too busy with revising. I have a chapter and three fourths to finish tonight and tomorrow to beat my own deadline. In one novel. Of course I should add that I am adding scenes, clarifying others, and adding more with the five human senses so I am doing some real writing but very little.

But I will have to go back over it to add a few touches here and there. It takes place In Boulder and I need to add a couple of streets and malls, plus go back and introduce a couple of items I thought of later in the novel.

By the way it is a UF novel and unless I change my mind which I might since it's not set in stone yet, I will be publishing as a E-book and POD.

Tomorrow I hope to work on two other partial novels and a story I need to revise.
Working on Turning Lead into Gold

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 30, 2012, 01:00:23 AM »
Prequel to TISBWO: through passes on one of the new chapters I worked with last time and two other chapters.  May attempt the other compress-stuff-into-one-thing tonight, or may just go through one more chapter and call it a day.  Once the last compression is done, the rest should be plain-sailing, largely, of the cutting out flab variety.

Also reread and tidied the first 3 chapters of TIWTBWO volume 3, just because they were there.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 30, 2012, 03:55:55 AM »
Prequel to TISBWO: through passes on one of the new chapters I worked with last time and two other chapters.  May attempt the other compress-stuff-into-one-thing tonight, or may just go through one more chapter and call it a day.

That became two more chapters, no compression.  This draft is now 15kwords shorter than the previous, and much the tighter for it.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #445 on: June 30, 2012, 05:28:12 AM »
Okay finished revising one novel. I did do some real writing because I added anywhere from 350 to 1,000 words per chapter.

If by chance you would like to read some more about the process here: http://musingsofle.blogspot.com/2012/06/update-june-26-ps.html

I also revised two stories today, one I rewrote part of. Both are less than 2,000 words.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #446 on: June 30, 2012, 02:58:02 PM »
Couple thousand words tonight, and a thousand or so yesterday. 

What seems to work best for me is the David Drake approach:  Plan on writing 500 words a day, barring illness or unexpected houseguests and the like, anyway.  Drake Lite I guess?

Both times, once I sat down, I realized I'd blown way past my quota and had fun doing it.

Another thing I've decided works for me is not to force myself to write the story chronologically.  Today I had a particular scene just come to life and do a song and dance number in my melon while I was doing my Cubicle Drone In Sub-section Whisky Tango Foxtrot.  It was a scene that was a couple chapters down the road, but when I got home I figured I'd get it while it was hot because the way my brain works, the intervening scenes would ripen and demand attention in their own good time.  Worked out pretty good.
This is pretty much what I'm doing.  I set myself a 500 word/day goal--or Rob did, I'd actually planned on 250 and upping once that was consistent--and for the first few months, it was a bit of a struggle to hit each day, but I always made up on the weekends.  Now I'm hitting my goal, and often going a little over-usually depends on whether my only writing time is the half hour at work, or if I find time before dinner.  And I've been doing so well at it that I've changed my deadline to finish this draft from October(my birthday) to August(my anniversary). But I'm actually hopeful that I'll finish sooner, since I'm taking off most of next week, and I have very few plans.

And I've done the same, skipping around sometimes.  I mostly tend to write chronologically, but when I got stuck near the end of last year, I skipped to random scenes that didn't quite have a place in the timeline, but would be there eventually, and they helped me get a grasp on some of the backstory elements that had been eluding me. Quite a few of those scenes are nothing like they started, now, but I expect that.

My WiP's sitting at 73.7k right now, and I'm expecting to be over 75 by the end of the day. There's a possibility, though pretty slim, that I'll go over 80. Hoping, but not counting on it. Partly cause I'm not as certain where this'll be ending now. Or I've already written the ending, and what I'm writing now will have to be moved to earlier in the story.  Will see.

Right now, words.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #447 on: June 30, 2012, 04:12:26 PM »
*sighs* nothing nana zilge
i need help i think as i can not string a sentence together  :(

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 30, 2012, 08:46:12 PM »
Slowly crept up to 26k.
Had an idea for a third book, making it a series, so I began that too.

May the muse be with you all.

Edit: 30k.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 09:13:44 PM by shades of grey »

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #449 on: July 02, 2012, 03:39:17 AM »
Hey, except for a glitch here and there you all are doing good.

Cen, for someone who is in the middle of school, I assume that English schools are tougher than most US schools at the moment, you are doing good. Both takes time.