Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc  (Read 129881 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc
« Reply #390 on: June 14, 2012, 07:50:21 PM »
I suppose this is the benefit of being an architect or outliner. Of all the problems or things I might have and might need to change in the re-write rearranging chapters has never been one of them and that sounds horribly painful.

it's not too bad at some levels; merging the individual chapters is easy enough, I've not looked at this book for a while and I see a lot of places I can trim stuff that I thought when I first wrote it was colourful character background and worldbuilding and now see is not doing enough apart from being colourful character background and worldbuilding and just slows the thing down.

The issue, though, is that I was leaning a lot on a structure of whose viewpoints show up when (it sort of goes A-A-A-C-B-B-B-C-A-A-B-C-A-B-A-C...) and compressing two A chapters into one here and two or three B chapters into one there does knock that out, particularly as I can't move any given A or B chapter past a C chapter after about two-thirds of the way in because they are in the same location and the plot has a very tight cascade as to who knows what when.

(It's not that I'm not a careful architect in advance. it's that I first did that for this book more than a decade ago and I see much more of how to make it better now than I did then.)
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #391 on: June 15, 2012, 03:42:43 PM »
i got just over 100 words done so far to day and plane on doing a bit more soon
hopefully

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 15, 2012, 04:23:19 PM »
That's 100 words more than I did.   :P

Just wasn't in the mood to write.  Lost concentration.  Started reading instead of writing and that was that.

Since re-reading DF I've noticed I spend more time on it than my stories.  So I expect once I finish, in a week or two, hopefully I can get back to writing on a regular basis.   :)
"I exist, therefore, I obsess."

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #393 on: June 15, 2012, 04:24:27 PM »
lol good luck with that
actualy school is taking most of my writing time
 ::)

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 15, 2012, 04:28:58 PM »
Yep, it's always something getting in the way, isn't it?

Sometimes I think the world conspires to inhibit my creativity.   :-\

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #395 on: June 15, 2012, 05:30:49 PM »
lol
proberly

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #396 on: June 16, 2012, 04:45:50 AM »
Yep, it's always something getting in the way, isn't it?

Sometimes I think the world conspires to inhibit my creativity.   :-\

It only gets in the way if you let it.  This blog- Time Management might be helpful.  Or this one, Manipulation of Time, which equates time to money. And what it all boils down to is what are you doing instead of writing, and is it more important? 

For example, I've used up 3 hours that could've been spent writing.  Two of those hours were sorta related to writing-I was hashing stuff out with my husband, working through a Mexican standoff sort of scene. I spent about a half hour trying to look up something relating to a different post, and then about another half hour finding these links. 

While I might be a slight bit annoyed at myself for doing all that instead of writing, I'm also not beating myself up for it because I made my weekly word goal yesterday.  Some things you can't get around doing-school, work. 

But you can find time there to write.  I write during my lunch hour-the half that I'm not eating/reading.  I've had to make sacrifices--I don't read anywhere near as much as I used to.  If I'm lucky, I read a book a month.  However, I'm also very lucky in that my day job allows me to be able to listen to audiobooks, sometimes, while I'm working.  Which also feeds the writing side of my mind because I've noticed that while I listen to audiobooks, I'm picking up on the craft.

And now I have to go find the shatterpoint for this Mexican standoff to get my characters out of the kitchen they're trapped in.  Either that, or sleep.

*edited for getting rid of the OMGblockoftext*
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 17, 2012, 01:35:27 PM »
It only gets in the way if you let it.  This blog- Time Management might be helpful.  Or this one, Manipulation of Time, which equates time to money. And what it all boils down to is what are you doing instead of writing, and is it more important? 

For example, I've used up 3 hours that could've been spent writing.  Two of those hours were sorta related to writing-I was hashing stuff out with my husband, working through a Mexican standoff sort of scene. I spent about a half hour trying to look up something relating to a different post, and then about another half hour finding these links. 

While I might be a slight bit annoyed at myself for doing all that instead of writing, I'm also not beating myself up for it because I made my weekly word goal yesterday.  Some things you can't get around doing-school, work. 

But you can find time there to write.  I write during my lunch hour-the half that I'm not eating/reading.  I've had to make sacrifices--I don't read anywhere near as much as I used to.  If I'm lucky, I read a book a month.  However, I'm also very lucky in that my day job allows me to be able to listen to audiobooks, sometimes, while I'm working.  Which also feeds the writing side of my mind because I've noticed that while I listen to audiobooks, I'm picking up on the craft.

And now I have to go find the shatterpoint for this Mexican standoff to get my characters out of the kitchen they're trapped in.  Either that, or sleep.

*edited for getting rid of the OMGblockoftext*

I was sort of half way joking, but RL does, on a regular basis, interfere and there's nothing I can do about that, unless I find a cave and go live as a hermit, so I try not to waste the free time I have.  Lately I've been re-reading DF and that is consuming my extra time.  Once I'm done with DF I should be back on a semi-regular schedule of writing.  And my obsessions override everything else, which means I let many things go in order to write.  And then when I look around and see the neglect, I madly clean or whatever needs to be done so I can get back to the computer.   :P

I'm also picking up tips on writing as I read, though I'm not using audiobooks.  I'm a very visual person, so audiobooks have no appeal to me, for that reason, and also because I like using my own imaginative voice for the dialogue.

And I'm also kinda weird that I usually, especially if it's a long story, need to print out the last few pages I've written and look at them as I would a book page and then edit.  For some reason it's easier for me to get a feel of how the words flow, etc.  That also means I'm using a lot of paper and ink at times.  It's not efficient but it works for me.   :)

Hope you get those people out of the kitchen soon!   ;)

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #398 on: June 17, 2012, 05:36:35 PM »
I was sort of half way joking, but RL does, on a regular basis, interfere and there's nothing I can do about that, unless I find a cave and go live as a hermit, so I try not to waste the free time I have.  Lately I've been re-reading DF and that is consuming my extra time.  Once I'm done with DF I should be back on a semi-regular schedule of writing. 

Yeah, RL can interfere quite easily at times...too easily.

But as to rereading DF  Um,(Clears throat) Urm...I hate to tell you this but there's 13 novels published now--not sure if that includes "Side Jobs" and unless it takes you less then a week to read one--which would mean way too little writing time--number 14 will be out by the time you finish. All together it could take a year or more of waiting to get back on "a semi-regular schedule of writing".

Working on Turning Lead into Gold

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 18, 2012, 12:41:05 PM »

Fringe this week and visitors Friday-Monday means I'm not going to get to write anything until next week, but that's better than trying to push anything when I am as tired as I am now.

But as to rereading DF  Um,(Clears throat) Urm...I hate to tell you this but there's 13 novels published now--not sure if that includes "Side Jobs" and unless it takes you less then a week to read one--which would mean way too little writing time--number 14 will be out by the time you finish. All together it could take a year or more of waiting to get back on "a semi-regular schedule of writing".

Seriously ?  Most of the DF are short enough not to take me more than one night to read.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 18, 2012, 01:38:09 PM »

There are 14 books if you include Side Jobs, and I'm already near the end of #7 DB, ready to start on #8 PG tonight.  I skip over the descriptions of Harry's apartment and McAnally's Bar, things like that, so it goes a little faster.  But then I'm also taking notes as I read so that slows me down, yet I read a book about every three days.  The first time through all of them I found time to read one in less than two days, but now I'm not in much of a hurry.  I'll be done with the second go 'round in plenty of time before CD comes out.

I might even find a little time to write down a few words here and there, but mostly editing the second half of my long story I started over a year and a half ago.  Since it was my first story ever, it needed a lot of TLC.  The first half is in good shape, but when I re-read the second part, I cringed and realized I really needed to apply what I've learned since then and get it in shape.   :)

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #401 on: June 18, 2012, 02:30:55 PM »
adio books are my life
and if you think your RL is bad try full time education
6 - 10 hours a day where i rely get to write

i got 500 words done
but non of them were on my story
they wre for my biology papper for school
but they were words nun the less

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 18, 2012, 02:56:32 PM »
Hey, cen!

I'm glad there are audiobooks for you!  If I had vision problems I would be thankful to have them, too.

I am very happy that my full-time education is over.  I wasn't the happiest of students, hated my high school - it was huge (2,000 in my graduating class).   :(

Still...absolutely, you should celebrate 500 words, even if it's Biology.   :)

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #403 on: June 18, 2012, 02:59:12 PM »
i like biology
i am an okay student
i am a little anysocial at school
(read i don't have any friends my own age)
yes 500 words for me is impresive and i am about half way though

yes Visual problems mean i love adio books ;D a lot

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 18, 2012, 03:34:49 PM »
Biology was ok, but I didn't like the teacher (hard-nosed old guy).

I was a good student, but I wasn't a social butterfly.  Never did fit in with groups, always pretty much a loner, which probably stems, in large part, from being an only child.  Spent a lot of time with just me.  Still do.   :)

Good luck on your Biology paper!