Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc  (Read 130616 times)

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
Re: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc
« Reply #165 on: April 21, 2012, 12:48:13 AM »
As you can tell by my Sig, my seventeeth BattleCorps story was published today. My goal of 8 stories this year is one closer to reality!  ;D

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline synthesis

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 22, 2012, 02:17:42 AM »
I think several people mentioned just how long it actually takes to write something and how long you mull it over in your head before you even begin.  For me, it's the how many games of cards did I play while mulling over. . . :P  damn distractions. :D

But, I broke page 200 yesterday.  Today I cooked, though, cuz I'm very tired of Totinos and Spaghetti-Os!

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #167 on: April 22, 2012, 09:28:46 AM »
As you can tell by my Sig, my seventeeth BattleCorps story was published today. My goal of 8 stories this year is one closer to reality!  ;D

Craig

Way to go turboturtle!

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 22, 2012, 10:51:50 AM »
Wiped out a short and sweet four page steampunk inspired piece last night after talking with a friend about the genre.

If anyone is interested in reading it I would appreciate the feedback. Just pm me
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #169 on: April 23, 2012, 07:05:02 PM »
Don't think in terms of numbers of words, everyone has a different writing style and pace.  My time actually spent typing comes in spurts.  I'll spend a week or three just replaying scenes, coming up with the odd phrase or image, and spend an evening or two hammering it out, so it's not like I'll sit down and pull 2 or three thousand words out of my brain at once.  They've been up there fermenting for a while.  ;)

Now, if I could sit down and write 2 or three thousand words every night, then I'd be a real handful.

Triumphant Napoleon!  (A bit of a premature pete moment, as I still have to revise the opening chapter to more fully sink in the hook for all you little fishes)  I had about 20 paragraphs of preamble before diving into the dialogue/action, it might be too long.

But other than that Admiral Who is coming in at a cool 125-126K fully edited and ready to rumble.  Baring unforseen difficulties it should be available in an Amazon near you probably next week sometime.  Fingers crossed and knock on wood.

Also decided the last 18K of my second potential cut off point did better as a free excerpt of book 2 put in the back of Admiral Who to get you to want to read the next book.  Plus I managed to nail in part of the overarching series plot line that I was struggling with finding the right place to insert.

On the sequel front, I'm up to 92K under the previous counting system but with the addition of this 18k that I wasn't sure which book to fit in.  (The original question was did I want the knock down drag out battle scene in the end of Admiral Who or the beginning of Admiral's Gambit?  Well that's been decided.) The new count official count for the first draft of the sequal will is 110K.

Still got another 15k+ to before I can possibly call the 2nd book finished though.  But I'm feeling pumped.  Got to go get a new job so that's going to seriously cut into the writing time and motivation but I'm determined not to let anything ruin this awesome feeling.

Have a good one guys and remember to keep plugging away no matter what.

And don't ever let anyone get you done,

The Deposed King

thanks you two you have made me feel a lot better
no not got any thing more written yet but i have not been near tecnolagy or pen and papper for three days but hopfuly will have made more progress by the end of the week all going to plain
oh and the amount of time i plain seens and re write them is over half the time i spend actualy on what i am writting most of the time

good luck everyone

CWG

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #170 on: April 24, 2012, 02:19:46 AM »
You've got your own process so go for it cenwolfgirl. I just urge you to give yourself the permission to write something less than what you want and move on. Find yourself a good editor (a friend or fellow author who you can return the favor for) and fix it up when you get a completed draft.

By the way guys, as I mention in another thread I just put my first book up on amazon.  Put it under my son's name, out of love.

http://www.amazon.com/Admiral-Spineward-Sectors-Novel-ebook/dp/B007WQSY44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335232665&sr=8-1

I don't have access to word right now, so I have to make a few minor changes in format as soon as I do.  But you can read the first 10@ for free on Amazon's Kindle for PC.  Or kindle if you have one!

I'm kind of interested in how the first chapter plays out.  The original draft had about 20 paragraphs of preamble and I chopped it down.

Always follow the dream,

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 24, 2012, 01:49:16 PM »
Big hairy step! Congrats TDK!

OK, so in another thread we are talking about shitty first drafts. I was re-editing and going gangbusters and then I hit that god awful chapter of disaster we all have lurking in our first drafts. I mean so bad that I needed crest toothpaste up the nose to cover up the smell. If it weren't for you guys, i would be hung up on that blasted thing for weeks, probably get discouraged and my process would turn into molasses. Thanks to you guys, I just highlighted its royal ugliness and moved on.l I can fix it later. Onward into the pages!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #172 on: April 24, 2012, 02:02:35 PM »
Big hairy step! Congrats TDK!

OK, so in another thread we are talking about shitty first drafts. I was re-editing and going gangbusters and then I hit that god awful chapter of disaster we all have lurking in our first drafts. I mean so bad that I needed crest toothpaste up the nose to cover up the smell. If it weren't for you guys, i would be hung up on that blasted thing for weeks, probably get discouraged and my process would turn into molasses. Thanks to you guys, I just highlighted its royal ugliness and moved on.l I can fix it later. Onward into the pages!

Way to kick that blockage while its down Meg.  Don't let anything stop you!!!

The Deposed King

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #173 on: April 24, 2012, 03:31:17 PM »
You've got your own process so go for it cenwolfgirl. I just urge you to give yourself the permission to write something less than what you want and move on. Find yourself a good editor (a friend or fellow author who you can return the favor for) and fix it up when you get a completed draft.

By the way guys, as I mention in another thread I just put my first book up on amazon.  Put it under my son's name, out of love.

http://www.amazon.com/Admiral-Spineward-Sectors-Novel-ebook/dp/B007WQSY44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335232665&sr=8-1

I don't have access to word right now, so I have to make a few minor changes in format as soon as I do.  But you can read the first 10@ for free on Amazon's Kindle for PC.  Or kindle if you have one!

I'm kind of interested in how the first chapter plays out.  The original draft had about 20 paragraphs of preamble and I chopped it down.

Always follow the dream,

The Deposed King
i would go donw lode this now but i have to revise for exams and know it would be more intresting then maths
but i will read it in the summer after enams way to go
now i have to do chemistry don't i?

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2012, 06:45:02 PM »
okay so i just did in the last three ish hours 400 ish words witch is more then the last two weeks put together yay finerly a little progres

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 05, 2012, 04:56:17 PM »

Always follow the dream,

The Deposed King

I just finished Admiral Who? and I loved it.  Fine work.  Great character driven story, solid world-building, believable tech base.  The snark and personalities are in the vein of Lois McMaster-Bujold's Vorkosigan series but without being in any way derivative.  I'd file it under "Big Damn Space Opera" because some aspects brought to mind the Lensmen books I read so long ago with maybe a twist of David Drake, but without venturing into Weird Super Science.  Can't wait for the next one to come out.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #176 on: May 05, 2012, 08:50:09 PM »
Thanks for the kind words PG.  I really appreciate it!

Good luck with your own writing.

The Deposed King

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #177 on: May 05, 2012, 08:55:12 PM »
now i rely want to read it it sounds intresting Deposed King
speaking of writing i just did about 300 words witch is the most i have got done in about 2 weeks  ;D

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 07, 2012, 07:45:57 PM »
Not a great weekend for me writing-wise.

Glared at the book that comes before the Thing I Am Supposed To Be Working On, which i want to get in shape to be mentioned/sent in with the next draft of that Thing, somewhat less than happily.  (The beginning is OK. The second half is OK. One of the viewpoints is good all the way through.  But the second quarter or so of this book sucks cold potato soup through a straw by the gallon, and I think I have to basically crush fifteen chapters into nine to make it work, which plays merry hell with the structure.  I've figured out a goodly bit of how to do it, but that does not make the actual doing any more appealing.)

Did a polish based on my first couple of beta comments on the Thing I Want To Be Working On, which was pleasingly straightforward.  That is fairly close to ready to be out there, I think.

And looked through a very different project I set aside a few years back for not knowing where it was going clearly enough after the first 50kwords.  It still seems to have strong points and I still do not see what to do with it next.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #179 on: May 08, 2012, 03:15:14 PM »
okay so got another 300 words more then i thought on one book (witch i was doing last time i posted in this thread and just realised i wort more then i said i did  ;D)
yesterday i started a diffrent book just for fun it proberly wont go any where and i proberly will go back to the other one in a few weeks but i got nearly 400 words it was nice to write with out having to think any thing out just to vent and relax witch i needed
(its exam seson)