Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc  (Read 129362 times)

o_O

Re: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc
« Reply #870 on: November 08, 2012, 05:39:26 PM »

For me the difference between passing and doing well was like the difference between taking therapy on parallel bars, and actually being free to use crutches on the bus and all around town.

(I can run now)

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #871 on: November 08, 2012, 06:11:25 PM »
um c= walking on my own with my cain A= flying with wings i just sprouted from no where

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: November 08, 2012, 09:23:36 PM »
o_O - it's the difference between book smarts and street smarts.
Book smarts will help you get a good grade - street smarts will enable you to
walk into a local laundromat and be able to use it.
(Friend once walked into a laundromat and found a guy she knew (Mensa member) standing
looking around forlornly at the instructions on the walls - completely lost.)
So yeah, book smarts aren't everything.

o_O

« Reply #873 on: November 08, 2012, 10:20:02 PM »
o_O - it's the difference between book smarts and street smarts.
Book smarts will help you get a good grade - street smarts will enable you to
walk into a local laundromat and be able to use it.

Err, no, I was not going in that direction.     

I was talking of two different tiers of 'book' smarts -

the A-grade tier where you can solve any problem in the textbook  and the tier where you can take textbook knowledge and invent solutions to problems no one has seen before.

The work to get from C to A is merely practice for the work required to get from 'A' to that highest tier.     

And you know what else?    Getting from 'A' to the "owning the knowledge" tier is all "homework" in this day and age.   

Companies willing to pay for on-the-job training while the employees ready themselves for that leap are dying out faster than dinosaurs.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:24:32 PM by o_O »

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #874 on: November 09, 2012, 06:49:16 AM »
no A= I am a total juerk and show off myfravret thing to do is make people feel bad about them selves as i am perfect and they are not, i proberly have OCD and I like being an emoshanal vampire
B= I am on target I have good gruads but am not an ass about it, and will help others getting worse gruads then me
C= I am not doing too badly but i need to work a bit harder so that I can get a B but its a start to work from and at least I am not failing the class and have room to improve, I proberly lack confidance but am determened to try my best
D= I am failing but it could be worse i need to work a lot harder but i know how to improve i am close to passing

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: November 09, 2012, 01:26:22 PM »
no A= I am a total juerk and show off myfravret thing to do is make people feel bad about them selves as i am perfect and they are not, i proberly have OCD and I like being an emoshanal vampire

You know, as a person who got a fair few As in my time, has been struggling with OCD much of my adult life, and have done my best to help people whose grades were not so good, I could find that a little hurtful; I am sorry that you've met people who got As who were jerks and show-offs, but that certainly wasn't my objective or motivation in the scene.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #876 on: November 09, 2012, 04:12:25 PM »
Just a quick drop by...

The novella "Fire on the Rio Grande" Has been sent off to the anthropologists for a plausability check, and then it gets turned in. It ran to 23K (20K contracted) so the editor can have fun in the pre pub edit, Grin.

Nano this year is the last half of a Space Opera from last year. 16703 to date, slogging along nicely. Currently writing about Rock-crusher Bennet and his dagger, four feet around and a hundred thousand miles long....

Regards,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #877 on: November 09, 2012, 04:21:53 PM »
You know, as a person who got a fair few As in my time, has been struggling with OCD much of my adult life, and have done my best to help people whose grades were not so good, I could find that a little hurtful; I am sorry that you've met people who got As who were jerks and show-offs, but that certainly wasn't my objective or motivation in the scene.
sprry neuro i am steriotyping :( all the people i have met who get As normally fit this description :(

o_O

« Reply #878 on: November 09, 2012, 05:29:55 PM »
sprry neuro i am steriotyping :( all the people i have met who get As normally fit this description :(

You might think about the possibility that you're getting sampling bias there - overlooking the quiet 'A's because they're quiet about it, and more interested in working on their own projects than in bigging themselves up to over past grades.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 05:33:10 PM by o_O »

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #879 on: November 09, 2012, 05:31:18 PM »
nope the quiet people people get Cs *nods* its why we are quiet because we want to do better and fined things a bit harder then the others

o_O

« Reply #880 on: November 09, 2012, 07:24:34 PM »

Heh.    As a quiet A type, my parents gave me regular chats about my 'tonic problem'.     
Translating loosely: "Son, the world doesn't want your bitterness even if we toss in bubbles and vodka for free".

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #881 on: November 09, 2012, 07:29:41 PM »
i don't drink and i do try at classes but learning takes me a bit longer then most people
its why i am 17 and still learning the basics of grammar ::)
the only "talks " i get from my parents are about my stupid disabilaty or my Cs not being Bs ::)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 07:32:27 PM by cenwolfgirl »

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #882 on: November 10, 2012, 02:54:33 AM »
Just hit the 20,000 word mark in my NaWriNoMo attempt this year..... 40% done!!  ;D ;D

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: November 10, 2012, 02:43:07 PM »
NaNo word count is now nearing the 20,000 word mark, and Scrivener tells me I'm now at 100 paperback pages.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: November 10, 2012, 05:07:26 PM »
Just broke the 20,000 words on NaNo, although the actual manuscript word count is 25,807.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.