Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc  (Read 129004 times)

Offline misterjonez

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc
« Reply #645 on: August 22, 2012, 03:26:27 PM »
The hardest thing for most people to remember, in my experience, is that writing is a creative activity. As such, it is wholly subjective regarding the 'right' or 'wrong' way to go about it, therefore success is measured only in the production and quality of your product.

Now, the quality of a given piece of art is largely in the eye of the beholder. But production and completion are objectively measurable.  Most of the advice I see on forums/blogs/message boards like this is offered in an attempt to encourage production and completion, more than anything else.

It's great to see how many different styles of production are represented here. One of my favorite authors talks about locking himself in a room, pulling eighteen hour days until he's done. Another fave has fifteen or twenty stories in production at once, and flits from one leaf to another until he's satisfied with the work on a given project, at which time he releases it.

Best summed up as above: Do what works for you. Just keep an open mind to the possibility that yours is not the best, or only way;-)

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #646 on: August 22, 2012, 04:25:19 PM »
2500 words so far this week, spread out over sevaral short stories. Finished one Short story, cycling through the other stories I'm working on, but really need to get back to my UF novels, trying to get in the writing  grrove on them before November so I can get number three started.

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: August 22, 2012, 04:46:05 PM »
I've been averaging 1500 words a day on my newest short story project.  I can write in this particular character quite quickly and fluently.  It's a nice change of pace from the slow progress I'm used to.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 23, 2012, 03:50:42 AM »
2200 words over the last 3 days.  Not as much as I'd like to have done, but it's progress.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: August 23, 2012, 07:21:25 AM »
Yeaaaaaaahhhhh, does Kermit the Frog armwave for PG.

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: August 23, 2012, 02:11:09 PM »
Almost done with another draft of my TV Pilot for Amazon Studios. The only thing left is to satisfy the Rule of Three by torturing an Ensign one last time.

Sadly, I've had to loose the Talking Panda in my pilot, but it is for a good cause and for a better intro for him in the 2nd episode.

On the bright side though, I have reason to believe my work is funny.

Also, as of this morning on the Amazon rankings of TV Projects by popularity, my project was at the bottom of Page 2 of 21.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #651 on: August 23, 2012, 02:29:15 PM »
words are hitting the page

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #652 on: August 23, 2012, 03:32:48 PM »
words are hitting the page

Be careful the words don't hit back --- some paragraphs have wicked right hooks!  ;)

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #653 on: August 23, 2012, 06:05:15 PM »
*snikers* they are being twisted in to submition ;)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: August 23, 2012, 06:07:45 PM »
That's the way!  Hold them down and tickle them until they say what you need them to!

Well.  That's what I do anyway.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #655 on: August 23, 2012, 07:01:23 PM »
that is what i am trying but it is time consuming
i wish they would play ball  ::)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: August 23, 2012, 08:20:29 PM »
that is what i am trying but it is time consuming
i wish they would play ball  ::)

I prefer it when they play chess. At least that's deterministic.

I got another piece of plot structure yesterday, concerning how set-of-aliens-A's reaction to humans including my protagonist showing up itself triggers set-of-aliens-B's principal plot-shaping action.  I've just got to figure out how that changes whether a piece of my ending is compatible with set-of-aliens-C's involvement in the whole thing, but I can certainly write a good bit more before I get to that.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #657 on: August 23, 2012, 08:24:40 PM »
*snikers* actualy i would rather they just plaued puppet and i was the pupetier but that would be too easy
beating them is working for now
70 words so far

good for you Neuro

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #658 on: August 24, 2012, 12:39:53 PM »
71 more words total 141 :) progress if slow is still progress

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: August 24, 2012, 02:50:03 PM »
Through read of what I did last week, and through pass on two more chapters of TISBWO.  I think that's been about 900 new words total, and a lot of rearranging.  I don't usually write Thursdays but it was a coping mechanism, and I will probably write Saturday as well rather than tonight.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.