Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc  (Read 129551 times)

Offline Naomi

• Participant
  • Wait ... what?
    • View Profile
Re: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc
« Reply #255 on: May 27, 2012, 12:40:37 PM »
I've been stymied by a sub-plot problem for a couple of weeks.  The problem was in the first chapter, thereby holding up the rest of the story.  I finally figured out a solution for the problem, and I wrote 1,000 words yesterday.  It feels good to be back in the flow of writing.
I'm too young for senior discounts, but old enough to be thrilled when I get carded.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #256 on: May 27, 2012, 12:42:05 PM »
wow well done

i have got about 10 words so far to day
i just sat down and evderyone desided to want to talk and destract me half way though my sentance
i now have to go figger out what it was i was going to write

it was actualy 32 words cool better then i thought

good luck everyone
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 12:48:20 PM by cenwolfgirl »

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #257 on: May 27, 2012, 01:10:47 PM »
well another few hundrad done and i have just finnished my little side project
not shore i will let any one read it
it is my first atempt at a short story and is proberly teribal but it was fun to write witch is the main thing it is only 1,691 words
but hay i finished it so am kinda pleased with my self

Offline Naomi

• Participant
  • Wait ... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 27, 2012, 01:59:52 PM »
Thank you Cenwolfgirl, and congrats for finishing your short story!   :)

You wrote a story, from beginning to end.  Regardless of the length of the story, I think that is huge.  Again, congrats!
I'm too young for senior discounts, but old enough to be thrilled when I get carded.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #259 on: May 27, 2012, 02:04:05 PM »
thank you yes it is only the second one i have done that with out side of class projects
so am happy with my self
i don't think it is any good and proberly will never show it to any one but hay i finnished a story
now back to the book i was writing before the exams and RL stole me

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #260 on: May 28, 2012, 03:31:16 AM »
I'm doing a bunch of writing--came up with a new UF series even though the first few stories will be short stories.

I didn't keep count but working on two novels--not sure if they be UF, paranormal or both--working on revising a third which is kinda, sort of like Seanan McGuire's. I hope to have it all revised by the end of June and some of it off to a reader. Then I'll either try the regular way or publishing or e-publishing.

Working on revising a story for a contest and thinking of a new story idea since I find myself with no new story to work on at the moment. 
Working on Turning Lead into Gold

Offline Darwinist

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Socially Transmitted Disease
« Reply #261 on: May 28, 2012, 01:25:05 PM »
I think doing this edit is actually harder than writing the damn thing to begin with. Doesn't help that I am rolling on Dayquil and what feels like Small Pox - but trying to go back and edit sections of my tome while trying to remember what has and has not yet happened in the story as I go along. So I edit chapter three with quotes from Character A, only to realize they died in Chapter 1. Or adding in character's wielding MacGuffin A (prop) in chapter 1 and realize that its not even built until Chapter 10. That sort of thing.

Damn you, Small Pox. Damn you.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #262 on: May 28, 2012, 01:28:29 PM »
ooh that is not so ggod
good luck with that
i don't edit untill the story is finished at least a rough draft
other wise i think that would proberly happen to me a lot
it is bad enough editing one book wile writing another that folows on from it ]why do we try and make life so complicated for our selves?

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #263 on: May 29, 2012, 01:00:41 AM »
I think doing this edit is actually harder than writing the damn thing to begin with. Doesn't help that I am rolling on Dayquil and what feels like Small Pox - but trying to go back and edit sections of my tome while trying to remember what has and has not yet happened in the story as I go along. So I edit chapter three with quotes from Character A, only to realize they died in Chapter 1. Or adding in character's wielding MacGuffin A (prop) in chapter 1 and realize that its not even built until Chapter 10. That sort of thing.

Damn you, Small Pox. Damn you.

Never had small pox but I have been on cold medication while trying to write. It usually works out okay though. But I have problems like that without Dayquil. I started listing all my characters and sometimes I think I need to list what scenes I've done. On the book I am revising I'm finding scenes changed later in the story or I included two descriptions of something that needed just one.  It will al come together even if later then you would have liked.

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #264 on: May 29, 2012, 01:03:03 AM »
thank you yes it is only the second one i have done that with out side of class projects
so am happy with my self
i don't think it is any good and proberly will never show it to any one but hay i finnished a story
now back to the book i was writing before the exams and RL stole me

You should be happy with yourself. Congrats. I didn't read back very far can I ask how long it is? But you should show it to someone, that is how you get feedback. And is one way writers can stick together by helping each other.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #265 on: May 29, 2012, 06:27:02 AM »
You should be happy with yourself. Congrats. I didn't read back very far can I ask how long it is? But you should show it to someone, that is how you get feedback. And is one way writers can stick together by helping each other.
um it is just over 1,600 words 1,700 ish
but its rely bad and i know its rely bad
but okay i might go find some one to tourcher with my first atempt at a short story at some point to dayy or tommorow
thank you
and good luck everyone

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #266 on: May 29, 2012, 09:41:07 AM »
well i have finerly got back to my main project after yesterdays lack of success but now have writon anothe 200+ words  ;D

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #267 on: June 01, 2012, 03:50:01 AM »
um it is just over 1,600 words 1,700 ish
but its rely bad and i know its rely bad
but okay i might go find some one to tourcher with my first atempt at a short story at some point to dayy or tommorow
thank you
and good luck everyone

Finally got back to this sorry it took so long.

Number one: It's not up to you to decide if it's really bad or not. Yours is to do or die...oops I mean practice-practice and more practice. But and excuse me for saying it this way--but it might be rely bad as in awful or it could be your inner critic coming out to play but in either case having someone who sort of knows writing critique it is a good idea. That is one way you learn. There are online writing groups and critiquing groups if you don't know anyone.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #268 on: June 01, 2012, 06:37:14 AM »
Finally got back to this sorry it took so long.

Number one: It's not up to you to decide if it's really bad or not. Yours is to do or die...oops I mean practice-practice and more practice. But and excuse me for saying it this way--but it might be rely bad as in awful or it could be your inner critic coming out to play but in either case having someone who sort of knows writing critique it is a good idea. That is one way you learn. There are online writing groups and critiquing groups if you don't know anyone.

fine i yeald i will go find so one to kill with this short story
but trust me it is teriable by almost every defonition of the word
or at least the ending is

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 01, 2012, 02:20:47 PM »
fine i yeald i will go find so one to kill with this short story
but trust me it is teriable by almost every defonition of the word
or at least the ending is

I started writing just for fun about a year and a half ago...just to see if I could do it, to get my head out of RL issues...and the more I wrote, the better I got - at least in my estimation.  That first story, my longest, I'm still editing like crazy every chance I get and seems like it will never get completed.  But my point is, keep plugging away at it.  Leave it alone for a while, maybe a long while, and then go back and work on it.  There's no real deadline, so take your time, develop it slowly.  I found a book about writing science fiction and fantasy that had really good advice, but the thing that stuck out in my mind is how published authors go over and over and over their stories and that most of them agreed that you can't call yourself an author until you've written over a million words.  So as LDWriter2 said, it's practice and practice - and then some more.

And endings are the hardest thing to do.  Most authors agree on that, too.  I was lucky when I had part one of my two-part story completed (and I've yet to decide how to end part two after all this time), I had some who was willing to read and critique the darn thing.  She was very honest and gave me some super advice...and the one thing she stressed...be as hard on the characters as you possibly can.  Jim's writing is a good example of that.

I go back and read short stories I wrote last year and they make me cringe.  I've learned a lot since then.   ;)
"I exist, therefore, I obsess."