Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc  (Read 129283 times)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Re: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 07:04:11 AM »
put a few more words down but then I hate them and rewrite them. Its getting really frustrating that i am spending a good long while on a part but my story is not getting any longer.

Remember traditional publishers say, if I can't get past the first page I reject it.  Then if I can't get through the first chapter I reject it.  For online e-books now a days the reader can read the first 10% for free.  An average novel length is like 120k.  So I guess obsessing over the first 12 thousands words isn't the end of the world.

But anything over 12k and I've got to advise you to give up the ghost and go with the crud you've just written.  Most people shoot themselves in the foot.  C.J. Cherryh says on her website that she's heard of authors who send their first draft off to the publisher as soon as she's written it.  But that's not her experience (somewhere between 30-50 books and counting she's published), she has to go back and edit the total crap out of her manuscripts.  Multiple times before she sends it in.

My advice write it bad and move on.  You can come back and give it the puff later.  IMO its easier to CREATE, than it is to FIX and CREATE at the same time.  You try and do both and at least for me I run out of steam and wind down.

Ilona Andrews another author with somewhere around 10 books under her co-writing belt (ilona is the female half of the husband wife team that write the books under the pen name Ilona Andrews) and she says you have to give yourself permission to write total and utter crap here's the link http://www.ilona-andrews.com/writing-tricks/writing-crap#comments

Essentially she says first drafts just plain suck for 95% of the writers out there.  To paraphrase her elegant way of putting it.  You have to get down with the suckage and be okay with it.  Then come back when you are finished and much like a plain hunk of wood that you wouldn't dream of putting in your house, you varnish the bejeebees out of it until its not this ugly hunk of wood.  And people gush about all the grain and nice swirls you've managed to capture for their viewing pleasure.  Off the wood analogy.

You've taken the first step by writing something.  The next step in IMO is being okay with the plain hunk of yuck you've just written.  When you've got a full length anything.  be it short story, novella or novel.  Then its time for the next step.  Getting the critisism you need to turn snow white in her ugly coffin, into a princess with a beautiful gown.  Then my young Jedi you too shall be ready for either, e-publishing (and much consumer discord in the force) or the many rejection letters yet to come until the Jedi Publishing Order is ready accept your application.   :D

Whatever you do, don't give up on yourself and if what you're doing works and what I suggest doesn't, disregard everything I've said and go with your own flow.  (I mean ultimately who am I?  Just another guy)  However if what you're doing doesn't work.  Ol'Albert Einstein famously said.  The definition of insanity is trying the exact same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Anyway have a blast, and remember,

Follow the Dream and don't let anyone get you down.  Not even yourself.

The Deposed King
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:32:06 AM by The Deposed King »

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 08:25:47 AM »
Thanks Mr. King always good to get one of those much needed friendly slaps in the face to get me going lol.

I have gotten over the hump with a rather simple solution. Why try and explain everything in one scene when I can spread it out. I am planing on this being at least a trilogy, unless the characters go union then I'm screwed lol.

I find it funny that I am at almost two thousand words and my main character hasn't yet left his bedchambers, though granted a good chunk was prologue.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 08:36:02 AM »
Thanks Mr. King always good to get one of those much needed friendly slaps in the face to get me going lol.

I have gotten over the hump with a rather simple solution. Why try and explain everything in one scene when I can spread it out. I am planing on this being at least a trilogy, unless the characters go union then I'm screwed lol.

I find it funny that I am at almost two thousand words and my main character hasn't yet left his bedchambers, though granted a good chunk was prologue.

There are a few different ways to start a book that will grab the reader.  You can try to ease them in and explain as you go.  The other is you throw them off the deep (action from the first sentence) and and start the book with a bang that you try to keep up the whole way through.

I've tried a bunch of variations.  As a writer I tend to bleed my back story, back ground and some of my outline into my prologue or first chapter.  Its necessary to let me know who it is and where they're going.  But the reader doesn't generally like that.  Show don't tell.

So my advice is to, as much as possible, let things unfold naturally and if you keep getting stuck with the dreaded info-dumping, which you recognize as soon as you take a step back and reread it.  My advice is either A: just keep writing and come back later to fix the opening.  B: start with some action instead and introduce something as it becomes relevant to the situation.

Of course I haven't read anything you've written so always let your conscience be your guide and all that.  But, uh, best of luck with your story.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 11:55:10 AM »
Five thousand words written, got well into my stride and now my mum is coming to visit.
Aaaargh!

I hope I can hold onto this feeling, it's a good one.

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 03:00:01 AM »
My writings been on hold recently...I've only had time to work on short stories for my blog, but even that has taken a backseat to work for now. Too much life going on :P.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 03:05:21 AM »
wating for my second draft to be proof read by a freind sigh
second book first draft in progress  :)

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
  • The Universe tried to erase Rory once. It exploded
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 03:14:15 PM »
I finished up another 2200 words last night, bringing my total to just under 12k. That's two chapters out of a planned 15. That comes out to just under 90k words or about 200 pages overall, if the trend progresses. I think the middle three chapters of the book will be the longest, so that number may go up some. Even so, it's a book I'm writing for my kids. I don't know if I'll publish it. Right now I just like sharing it with them.
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 03:29:57 PM »
thats cool my fist book is 24,500 words aproximutly :)
i don't know if ill publish mine ether but thouse who have read it think i should but i want to finish the thired draft first and make some proper head way one the secone book mostly i wright for fun :)

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 08:29:22 PM »
Computer just died.  Can't write till the new one comes in.  Every time I start a new project...

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 09:04:01 PM »
Crudler.  Hate it when that happens.
Just got someone to read a little of my new effort.  It seems I should persevere.  :)

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2012, 08:38:42 AM »
good luke shades
i hood winked some one in to reading my first full book just waiting for them to get back to me once there done
i should know what works and what dose not by next onth shigh  :)

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2012, 11:42:11 AM »
Let’s see,
I am 10,000 words into a 20K story for an anthology that comes out around three years from now. BTW every one in this story is scum, it is so grim that it may be a shoo in for a literary award (Grin).
We just finished a mystery titled "Murder and Chocolate" for a magazine, it gets submitted next month, I am 53,000 words into the sequel to the space opera from two years ago. Also we have rewrites/edits in process for four short stories, three "fact" articles, and two novels in process.....

Much fun for all,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
  • The Universe tried to erase Rory once. It exploded
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 12:06:16 PM »
No words today. Spent a lot of time tightening up characters and plot lines. I know I shouldn't be rearranging the outline once the words have started to hit the page, but the curse of the Big Swampy Middle was looming so I needed to rearrange something to chart a course through it.
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 02:02:54 PM »
Woot broke two thousand words, almost three thousand and am up to eight pages total.

I have also introduced magic, and two new main characters, though one is an undead construct who is going to be more of a pet than a character but he is important.

Though I am faced with a new problem, what to call his type of undead. I had a really cool name picked out but I wrote it down in my journal which i was forced to leave in the US when I moved to Korea.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2012, 04:53:13 AM »
Had total brain constipation yesterday and got a word count of pretty much 0  :(

Fortunately, today worked out a lot better for me. I managed to knock out 3500 words. This brings the running total up to 39K on my current project. I'm exhausted right now but feeling a bit more accomplished.
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison