Author Topic: Book Title and Third Person Various (Wait....What?!)  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
Book Title and Third Person Various (Wait....What?!)
« on: February 06, 2012, 01:33:34 AM »
My apologies if the subject header was a bit confusing, but my question, like it says, has to do with both the title of the book and the perspective I'm writing in.  I wanted my titles to be something similar to the likes of Harry Potter and Percy Jackson. So for example, "Jane Smith and the Book of Awesomesauce."

At the same time however, I wanted to use different points of view in the book, much like George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire Series, where each Chapter is in third person, but intimately follows a specific character. Now, Jane Smith would very much be the main character and hero of the book, but I feel like this story could be big enough to give supporting characters their own chapters to make the story richer.

So, the final question therefore is, would it be considered stupid and/or inaccurate to name the book after Jane?
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Book Title and Third Person Various (Wait....What?!)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 06:51:16 AM »
Could you use a group name?  Say, Boy Detective Squad and The Dead Presidents.

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 01:18:28 PM »
It's possible, but I'm not sure how much of a group will be involved. Without using a plot, which is technically not allowed here, there is a gathering of people, but due to a cataclysmic event, they are scattered around the world. It's because of Jane Smith that they're scattered. She is VERY much the center of the story, but because I can visualize characters from different parts of the globe, I feel like going third person with different points of view is the best way to go.

Yet I still want to name the book after Jane. Grrr. (I know, I know, I should never attempt to name the book before it's written. I have....how do I say...a very unorthadox method to writing.)  ;D
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 04:41:16 PM »
Could you do both?  Something like Jane Smith and the Armadillo Boys Conquer the Martians?  Yeah, I know it's long, but with YA (which I assume this is) you can get away with a bit more quirkiness in your title.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 05:26:10 PM »
Could you do both?  Something like Jane Smith and the Armadillo Boys Conquer the Martians?  Yeah, I know it's long, but with YA (which I assume this is) you can get away with a bit more quirkiness in your title.

The best of both worlds eh? Also two of my favorite Star Trek TNG episodes!  ;D That's a real good idea Liz. It will take some creative thinking, but I can't exactly call myself a writer if I'm not creative. Thanks a bunch for the advice, both of you!