Author Topic: What It Takes To Run A Game  (Read 3214 times)

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
What It Takes To Run A Game
« on: February 05, 2012, 01:58:25 AM »
I've found myself with a little extra cash and am currently debating on buying "Your Story". I'd most likely find most of my playtime by getting involved in play by posts here on the forum, but if I could talk my friends into it I'd be the one running the game. My question is, would I need anything besides "Your Story" to run a game? The idea of pen and paper rpg's have always been interesting to me, but I've never been able to play them. I've also heard they are great for working on writing skills. Any input would be appreciated.  ;D

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: What It Takes To Run A Game
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 02:02:30 AM »
'Your Story', a good imagination, and a few friends - that's all you need.  :) 

Enjoy!  And welcome to an addiction which can last decades.   ;)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 02:03:13 AM »
And 4 six sided dice or a set of Fate dice, preferably one for each player.

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 02:05:27 AM »
Where can I get a set of FATE dice?

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 02:52:27 AM »
Ooops, forgot the dice.   :-[  You can find them on Amazon, one of several other online game / dice stores, and usually at a local gaming store.  Just search or ask for "fudge dice".

Edit:  You can also use d6-d6 for a similar range.  It's not as narrow a probably curve and the extremes are +/-5 instead of 4, but it will do if you don't have access to fudge dice.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 02:55:08 AM by UmbraLux »
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 02:55:13 AM »
You may find "Our World" useful as well.  It has descriptions of Vampires, Fairies, and other thing only touched on in "Your Story".

But it is optional.

Richard

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 02:56:11 AM »
Honestly though, if you're looking to save some cash, regular 6 sided dice work well enough.  Your Story is all you need.  I recommend getting the book (which comes with a PDF copy), but you can save a few bucks just buying the PDF from Evil Hat.

You can get both of the PDFs for not much more than just the paper book.

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 03:02:09 AM »
I'm one of those people that like to have the "dead tree editions" :D. I've never used paypal before though so I'm kinda confused on how to buy from evilhat. I'm used to amazon. EDIT: I'd like to support Evil Hat by buying from them and the PDF would be handy, but I'm just a bit confused on how it works since I was going through the checkout and not once did it ask for my information. As I've stated, I'm a bit lost as to using paypal.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 03:11:31 AM by Darkshore »

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 03:43:20 AM »
Paypal is, primarily, just who Evil Hat outsourced money part of the purchase process to...you can check out with a credit card and no Paypal account. 
--

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 03:44:15 AM »
Thanks...I feel a bit foolish now.  :P It was just the fact that when I got to payment option all that was listed was paypal and it never asked me for my credit card info. Was a bit lost as to how they were going to get payment.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 03:46:12 AM by Darkshore »

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 03:46:14 AM »
Evil Hat is a great company.  They have a policy that if you buy the book and send them proof that you did they will give you a free copy of the PDF.

Giving you the best of both worlds - the dead tree copy to game with and an e-copy to search for key words.

Richard

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 10:36:05 AM »
Bought it last night. Wow. Even just the pdf itself looks really well put together. I'll have to pick me up some dice soon :D.

Offline Vargo Teras

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 03:22:56 PM »
Honestly though, if you're looking to save some cash, regular 6 sided dice work well enough.
You can even color the 1- and 2-pip sides in red, and the 5- and 6-pip in green, and now they're Fudge dice and d6s, for the price of not a whole lot.

Offline Mij

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Undertown!
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 03:02:38 AM »
Lots of good advice in this thread already, so let me just say that I've had (as I tell my group) an obscene amount of fun with this system.  I probably still do it wrong, but everyone seems to have a good time anyway.  I'll put in a quick plug for Evil Hat.  They're a good company.

Enjoy the play!
Your Laundry skill is Poor (-1), and the difficulty here is Great (+4) owing to old machines, poor lighting, and panty-stealing neighbors.  Roll the Fudge Dice, please.

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 03:13:33 AM »
Thanks for all the advice and well wishes. In HS I was a big jock so most of the friends I've grown up with would just give me a look and say "Why not just go out and drink beer?" If I were to ever invite them for a game. So the problem will be finding anyone besides my GF and my one best bud that shares my love for fantasy, but if all else fails there seems to be plenty of forum games.