Author Topic: my players are requesting  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: my players are requesting
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 01:50:55 PM »
My first session villain was a Twilight Fangirl Black Court Vampire tricked into being infected by a white court Vampire. Because then she could be a sexy vampire like Bella.  She wasn't very happy when the rotting started to kick in.  :D

Wait...White Court vampires can't infect people. And they're not dead.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 02:20:29 PM »
Much along the same lines, my last session involved a group of girls who got themselves Red Court Infected...ed so they could be a sparkly super sexy vampire club.  IMO, it's less about the actual type of vampire stats you use and it's all about the personality.

FWIW, I liked the "mortals wearing glitter" idea posted above.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 02:41:26 PM »
I love the dreamscape idea.

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 04:47:54 PM »
I'm really glad to see the general disapproval of the Twilight books and their concepts here, as well.  And I'm not surprised: The Dresden Files are genuinely good books.  People who know what a good book is can usually tell a bad one a mile off.  It comes down to that old argument of Quality being undefinable and yet still obvious.

Expanding upon the nevernever concept, the PCs could encounter them when they accidentally wandering through a teenage girl's dreamsscape.
I love the dreamscape idea.

I do, too. 
I'm swiping this idea, Blackblade.  ;)
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 10:40:22 PM »
The problem with this assessment is that Edward watches Bella sleep, has a deep physical urge to murder her, and the first time they DO have sex it's described in a manner similar to a beatdown by a golem made out of freezing cold stone. All the people he knows - the only friends she makes, with one exception - are, like him, violent and inhuman creatures. These are the kind of things that a young, impressionable girl who reads the series is going to take away as markers of True Love. There are problems with this.

It's not my assessment - I haven't read the novels - but I can see those elements working.

Watching her sleep and thinking of murdering her? That's the Bad Boy / Dangerous Dude who must be tamed.  His hunger for her is such that he wants to eat her all up - at least I'm assuming that the "murder her" = "drain her dry".

The sex scene (as far I've heard) isn't in the first book, or the second one - it might not be until the marriage book, which means that the relationship is in place before it happens.  Sex has become an afterthought as opposed to being the core of the relationship.

Meeting dangerous people? That's thrilling to imagine.

As for using it as a guide - the old Harlequin Romances aren't any better.  Going back in time you have romantic books like Withering Heights where first cousins end up marrying and the lovers are only united in death.  Planning a life around just Romantic books doesn't work and never has - because if it did then it wouldn't be escapist literature.

But being in love with a baby and grooming the kid until its old enough to have relationship with? That is twisted.  That's way worse than people who think that Harry and Molly should get together and the thought of that is icky enough.

Richard

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 05:30:15 AM »
It's not too hard to find awful subtext in a book you hate, even if said book is perfectly inoffensive.

So I try to take most of the Twilight hate with a grain of salt. Though odds are, a large fraction of it is right on the money.

Anyway, back to the actual thread topic.

You could use expies of the Cullen family. Everyone is more or less the way they are in Twilight, but worse. They try to crush problems with violence, but they kind of suck at fighting. And when you get down to it, they're cowards. Their father says don't kill and don't feed on humans, and they don't have the balls to stand up to him. Mostly, they're a bunch of low-level losers.

Which is exactly the way the their father wants it. He's a mostly decent guy who just happens to be one of the dreaded Diamond Court of vampires. Members of the Diamond Court are normally heartless monsters that make the Black Court look tame. They're stronger, faster, and tougher than any other variety of vampire. If they weren't so rare, they'd be a threat to the whole world.

But through hard work, the father has transformed his family from monsters into losers. Which is part of his plan to defang the entire Diamond Court. He's competent, dangerous, and not likely to respond well to interference with his plan. Or to the deaths of his family members.

PS: I think that this might be relevant.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 01:14:31 PM »
They have been asking me to drop in the Cullens sparkle "vamps" for them to have fun with.  By fun I mean beat up.  They have stuck through a rather lengthy story that is getting close to over.  I am inclined to grant their wish as a light hearted break from the big story.  So my request is for some help stating up the Cullens since I have never read the books.  My players are at a 9 refresh level and as much as they want to steamroll and curb stomp the not vampires, I want them to learn not to underestimate things.
1. Why would you beat up your  True love (make a character fall I love ith one of them)
2. Yeh they go through and kill them only to realize they were vanilla mortals who were drinking a potion from an evil wizard, take lawbreaker status if wizard, also now the cops ate looking for you.
3. You kick their asses but that makes their Master angry, Bella Dutchess of the Winter Court does not like it when you break her Ice Vampires