Author Topic: Roleplaying Fae NPCs  (Read 4591 times)

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Roleplaying Fae NPCs
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 12:52:31 AM »
I almost want to contest this one. It wouldn't be *fair* for eating a pastry to carry on to descendents. But that's a mortal understanding of fair, isn't it? :)
I don't object to debts being passed on based on some concept of fairness.  It's what makes sense.  To me, you might stretch said pastry debt to a child conceived after it was eaten.  I don't see how it could be stretched to cover anyone else...they couldn't possibly have gained a benefit. 

One more item caught my eye looking through your list - true names.  Don't think that's limited to "unchanging creatures".  After all, Harry has a true name.  I suspect all intelligent beings do and, possibly, all discrete entities.  That doesn't really affect your list as it applied to fae.  ;)

I still think fae "nature" is best represented by aspects, compels, and fate points spent to act against aspects.  But YMMV.

Overall, I think the updated list does a pretty good job of showing Butcher's treatment of fae.  :)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Roleplaying Fae NPCs
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 12:58:48 AM »
I don't object to debts being passed on based on some concept of fairness.  It's what makes sense.  To me, you might stretch said pastry debt to a child conceived after it was eaten.  I don't see how it could be stretched to cover anyone else...they couldn't possibly have gained a benefit. 

I'd definitely wait for there to be a story hook to bring in something like this, to be sure.

One more item caught my eye looking through your list - true names.  Don't think that's limited to "unchanging creatures".  After all, Harry has a true name.  I suspect all intelligent beings do and, possibly, all discrete entities.  That doesn't really affect your list as it applied to fae.  ;)

True enough: that is just legacy text from wherever I lifted the initial wording.

I still think fae "nature" is best represented by aspects, compels, and fate points spent to act against aspects.  But YMMV.

Overall, I think the updated list does a pretty good job of showing Butcher's treatment of fae.  :)

For me, this list makes it easier for me to properly apply those elements when roleplaying fae NPCs. In truth, if a Fae is in a game as anything other than set dressing, they should have at least one Motivation to their name, as well as a High Concept and a Personality Aspect. But when I need to improvise, a list like this makes it easier to do all the devious fae tricks for which they are known.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets