Author Topic: Guns and Gruffs?  (Read 2842 times)

Offline KnightKD

• Participant
    • View Profile
Guns and Gruffs?
« on: January 27, 2012, 03:39:46 PM »
What's the story with Gruffs toting machine pistols and revolvers? Shouldn't that be an iron/fae issue?

Just a little thing I've been wondering. Perhaps I missed the explanation of that somewhere.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Guns and Gruffs?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 03:46:40 PM »
Maybe they bought off the compel.
Maybe they wore gloves.
Maybe the guns they were using were substantially composed of composite materials.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline KnightKD

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 04:30:08 PM »
Good thoughts.
How picky are fae when it comes to "iron". Do lead bullets count towards their catch? Or is it necessary to get the steel jacketed rounds? It seems a little odd for fae creatures to be employing "the bane" against their foes, but then again, that's pretty much any sword too...

(click to show/hide)

I guess I'm looking for a source of clarification on the bane thing.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 04:42:51 PM »
First off, lead is not iron.
Second, swords can be made from other materials, including those available to the fae that are not available to the mortal world at large.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline KnightKD

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 06:36:09 PM »
I had realized that, but isn't there precedent in the books for gunshots satisfying the catch for fae? Offhand I can't remember, but I had thought it.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 06:49:06 PM »
There was an incident involving one of the elder Gruffs and Murphy in Mac's Pub,
(click to show/hide)
Slough

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 08:59:36 PM »
Second, swords can be made from other materials, including those available to the fae that are not available to the mortal world at large.
Such materials are collectively known as 'ectoplasm'.  While using weapons made from such materials can certainly be done (especially in the Nevernever), relying on them in the mortal world has potential disadvantages.  And some advantages, too...  (Hard to find an ectoplasmic murder weapon once it melts away...)

That said, though, ectoplasmic guns could be the answer to the machine-gun-toting Gruff question.  Or it could be a case of the Gruffs buying off the compel, as suggested earlier.

Offline Jebm

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 01:34:41 AM »
I actually remember the gruffs wearing gloves when they attacked Harry including the trench coats,

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 04:15:31 AM »
I love the ectoplasm idea...

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 04:46:32 AM »
Such materials are collectively known as 'ectoplasm'.  While using weapons made from such materials can certainly be done (especially in the Nevernever), relying on them in the mortal world has potential disadvantages.  And some advantages, too...  (Hard to find an ectoplasmic murder weapon once it melts away...)

Fae creatures' bodies not being composed of ectoplasm, I do not find it inevitable that their swords would be.
Slough

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 07:18:38 AM »
Fae creatures' bodies not being composed of ectoplasm, I do not find it inevitable that their swords would be.
Creatures of the Nevernever are collectively known as 'spirit' creatures (OW29).  Most such creatures require the loan of a body of some sort (ectoplasm bodies being one example).  But Fae are a special case: they are 'embodied' denizens of the Nevernever, which means they can enter the mortal world without the need for ectoplasmic bodies (OW29).  I'm not sure where I read the quote, but Jim had indicated that all Fae were originally human, which explains this.

But any 'special Fae metals' found somewhere in the Nevernever ... would be plain old ectoplasm in the mortal world.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 08:12:25 AM »
Those first two statements are utterly irrelevant given the third, and I'm unfamiliar with the details of the reference in the fourth though I recall some conjecture to that effect on the forums a while back.

My point being that, with the precedent that at least some matter of the nevernever is not ectoplasm (fae bodies), it is possible that other matter of the nevernever might be of similar nature.
Slough

Offline vonpenguin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 05:04:38 PM »
Wasn't something along the lines of copper mentioned in relation to fae arms and armor at one point?

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 02:54:11 PM »
Wasn't something along the lines of copper mentioned in relation to fae arms and armor at one point?

Yeah, faeries are shown to use Bronze weapons at least one place in the books.
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 04:07:48 PM »
iirc it was the more organized Hobs,who were attacking the Archive in the train station, that were carrying bronze weapons.