Author Topic: Blog Series  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Blog Series
« on: January 21, 2012, 03:50:36 AM »
Haven't seen a thread on this before so I thought I'd start one. I've started a Supernatural themed blog series to keep my writing skills up even though my time is limited due to college and work. You can find it here if you'd like to take a look :D http://dustinbishop.wordpress.com/. Do any of you have blog series? It seems to be a trend among a few writers at absolute write. I plan to write a short story following these characters at least every two weeks. Any others do this differently? How do you go about spreading the word, and has it been successful? Come share your experiences here :D.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
Re: Blog Series
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 10:10:20 PM »
I've contemplated the idea of doing a couple of internet-only short stories set in the universe of my 1940's noir mystery series, once I get my website going.  This would most likely take place only if I end up having to self-publish, as I suspect if I get a contract with a legit publisher they might frown on my releasing free content without permission (I honestly have no idea how this works, however, and I could be dead wrong.)
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 04:08:09 AM »
If you get a contract for your series my guess would be that the publishers would either be upset about it or actually have it stated in said contract that you aren't allowed to release stuff like that for free, but who knows? I'm having fun writing my series. If anything I would maybe self publish a novella or two if I picked up enough fans, but it's pretty much just a fun way to keep the writing skills up when I feel to0 swamped to dive into anything too complicated. I've had to stall my current novel due to stress and lack of time...Plan to dive back in once I can get narrowed back down to working only one job though. Two jobs plus college is just too much.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 06:35:38 PM »
I suspect that the rules (agent and publisher preferences) on series blog change literally by the day.

In the past, it was seriously frowned upon to the point that having done so would doom any changes of publication.

Today, if you could generate interest in your story and create a following, then some agents and publishers might be quite willing to jump onto the band wagon with you.

The initial concern was for protection of your world and your creative ideas; now with e-publishing poised to possibly replace traditional in the future? You might get some questions posted to your favorite agents or the publishers themselves for new guidelines. Anyone heading to any cons, where you could ask some folk directly and let us know?

I'm staying traditional. I made that decision some time ago and will continue the course.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 06:44:24 PM »
Both Scott Lynch and Brandon Sanderson have free stuff up on their sites.  Webcomic people get published all the time.  If you want to work that way go for it.  My concern would be maintaining quality of story in a serial publishing.  You can't go back and foreshadow.  If something changes your stuck.  I could never work that way, but if you want then go for it.

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 06:59:56 PM »
Both Scott Lynch and Brandon Sanderson have free stuff up on their sites.  Webcomic people get published all the time.  If you want to work that way go for it.  My concern would be maintaining quality of story in a serial publishing.  You can't go back and foreshadow.  If something changes your stuck.  I could never work that way, but if you want then go for it.

It is a bit of a challenge that way, but as I've said before it's mostly just for fun and practice. My friends and family seem to love my quick paced, minimal description, dialogue/action filled shorts. Any blog followers or fans that come from it is just gravy. I try to keep each "episode" or short within limits of an episode of a t.v. series. So far I plan to keep each episode it's own story, but an overarching plot is in mind. It's a big change from my usual writing style, which contains much more description and mood setting.