Author Topic: Plots and Subplots  (Read 2131 times)

Offline hallowedthings

• Participant
    • View Profile
Plots and Subplots
« on: December 31, 2011, 05:01:39 AM »
How many plots and subplots would you say most of the DF books have (on average)?

I'm trying to estimate how many plots/subplots Jim uses each book. I'm hoping that doing this'll help me to sustain the same pace/level of action as the DF in my own books ;D Once I know this, I'll know if I'm including too few elements to keep the pace up. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble distinguishing whether different story threads are part of the main plot or subplots in the actual plot summaries of each book=_= . As it's 5AM and my brain is about to turn to mush, I'm kind of hoping that someone else here has already thought this through :P

Btw, HEY :) I've been a lurker for a while! Nice to meet you :)

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
Re: Plots and Subplots
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 05:47:28 PM »
Usually around three by my estimation.

An A-Plot (The Case)

A B-Plot( something complicating Harry's day and therefore the Case)

and you guessed it

a C-Plot(An Arc that continues from book to book). The C-Plot is not really a big part of each individual story usually. It comes up maybe once or twice a book.

But that's just off the top of my head.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 04:53:02 AM »
Jim explains a lot of this in his livejournal, especially one part about using subplots to get through the big swampy middle, maybe that can help you:
http://jimbutcher.livejournal.com/
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline mdodd

• Seriously?
  • OH, IT'S HIM. @paceace1094
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 01:44:44 AM »
The longer the series and the more characters introduced the more the readers shout about their favourite character. There has been a lot of howling about The White Council, particularly Eb, and their lack of visibility in Ghost Story. Look at Calderon and HP as well as Dresden for examples of a series starting with 200-300 pages and ending with about 750 pages. We'll all need to see a chiropractor after we finish carrying the last book of the BAT around with us. The World's Postal Services will go and strike and you will have to collect your copy from the sorting office instead of them bringing it to you.
One year's forum service, nearly two
--------------------------------------------------------
“And the people next door oppress me all night long. I tell them, I work all day, a man's got to have some time to learn to play the tuba. ― Terry Pratchett.

Offline mithrandirthewhite

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 04:28:53 AM »
*coughcoughmalazanbookofthefallencough* :)
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Offline mdodd

• Seriously?
  • OH, IT'S HIM. @paceace1094
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 05:26:15 AM »
*coughcoughmalazanbookofthefallencough* :)
^^^^^^ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D^^^^^^
especially if it falls on you from a passing plane.
BTW love the scene with Thomas in BR. "She was hit by a runaway car, killed instantly."
I shrugged "Don't mean to imply that I don't believe you, but that doesn't sound so odd."
"She was waterskiing at the time."

Some of deaths in BR are pure HitchHikers or Vincent Price depending on your age group.
Sorry to go off thread guys

One year's forum service, nearly two
--------------------------------------------------------
“And the people next door oppress me all night long. I tell them, I work all day, a man's got to have some time to learn to play the tuba. ― Terry Pratchett.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 09:29:23 PM »
The longer the series and the more characters introduced the more the readers shout about their favourite character. There has been a lot of howling about The White Council, particularly Eb, and their lack of visibility in Ghost Story. Look at Calderon and HP as well as Dresden for examples of a series starting with 200-300 pages and ending with about 750 pages. We'll all need to see a chiropractor after we finish carrying the last book of the BAT around with us. The World's Postal Services will go and strike and you will have to collect your copy from the sorting office instead of them bringing it to you.

Honestly, from some research I did a while back, From about book 4 on The Dresden Files has maintained an almost constant word count, finishing right around 400 pages and I forget the word counts...  I think Changes was the longest.

Offline hallowedthings

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 10:50:17 PM »
BTW love the scene with Thomas in BR. "She was hit by a runaway car, killed instantly."
I shrugged "Don't mean to imply that I don't believe you, but that doesn't sound so odd."
"She was waterskiing at the time."

LOL

Thanks btw :) I'm starting to see that there aren't as many plots as I thought, just multiple layers to the ones that are in the books. Maaaan, this deconstruction stuff is hard. I think there are more plots than just the A, B and C plot though, but I'm not going to kill myself trying to figure it out. From now on I'll just use loose plot points and constantly apply Murphy's Law to make things worse :P