Author Topic: Scion of Hephaestus?  (Read 1277 times)

Offline beachhead1973

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Scion of Hephaestus?
« on: December 31, 2011, 04:04:25 AM »
So I want to open up an avenue of development for a character growing inot his origins as a scion of Hephaestus; the god of the forge.

I got just the two ideas really for this;

A several-point cost "Power" which buys off the hexing catch for a wizard

The other idea I have less concrete ideas about; the concept of a sort of techno-mantic magic. but I really have very little idea how that would work; maybe to make broken stuff work or keep working? or maybe fillin the blanks of a not-quite-there gadget. Sort of a steam-punkish take on magic.

What do you guys think?

Offline benign

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Scion of Hephaestus?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 04:14:44 AM »
Check out the super-science power here on the board's custom power list. You could easily reflavor it from advanced science to magic so advanced that it begins to approach technology- though really I think it encompasses both of those anyway.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 04:18:29 AM »
You could always just use the existing crafting rules for magic and reflavor them.  I ran a focused practitioner for a long time with Ritual (Crafting) who I described as an Artificer.  He was always pulling random gadgets made from magic and clockwork out of his pockets.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 04:20:45 AM »
So I want to open up an avenue of development for a character growing inot his origins as a scion of Hephaestus; the god of the forge.

I got just the two ideas really for this;

A several-point cost "Power" which buys off the hexing catch for a wizard
You might be interested in this:
Quote from: Techno-Wizard
Techno-Wizard [-1]
  • Tech friendly:  The wizard gains +2 on Discipline rolls to prevent hexing.
  • Practiced at working with technology:  The wizard may choose to resist a compel with a Discipline roll instead of with a fate point.  When doing so he does not gain the bonus above and must get a Legendary result.
  • Can't break it:  The wizard gains a -2 to intentional attempts at hexing technology.

The other idea I have less concrete ideas about; the concept of a sort of techno-mantic magic. but I really have very little idea how that would work; maybe to make broken stuff work or keep working? or maybe fillin the blanks of a not-quite-there gadget. Sort of a steam-punkish take on magic.

What do you guys think?
Other potential ideas:  strength powers (smiths are strong), crafter only (no evocation, just thaumaturgy and work primarily through items), or change your evocation elements to tech-related themes (Engines, Computers, Structures, Projectiles, Crafting).
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline beachhead1973

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 07:36:07 PM »
You might be interested in this:Other potential ideas:  strength powers (smiths are strong), crafter only (no evocation, just thaumaturgy and work primarily through items), or change your evocation elements to tech-related themes (Engines, Computers, Structures, Projectiles, Crafting).

The techno-wizard thing sounds pretty cool!