Author Topic: How should I develop my character's powers?  (Read 6018 times)

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: How should I develop my character's powers?
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2011, 03:00:47 AM »
Look, BBF is totally underpowered if you aren't using it more or less every time you attack. So if you take it, you should be carrying more swords than a sword store. And you should use a new one every exchange.

The reason I was unsure of its balance is that it could be underpowered due to its big drawback or overpowered due to its universal applicability.
I would think that carrying more swords than sword store would come with its own Compels. Namely Compels to make the character lose all those weapons or get the character into trouble if he wants to hold on to them. So in order to have "universal applicability", you need to jump through a whole series of other flaming hoops. BBF as it is totally underpowered no matter how you look at it.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Mojosilver

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2011, 03:47:03 AM »
If you are worried about be like other players in your game. how about making your PC a ninja/assassin type PC. you said you use stealth and Intimidation a lot. i read about a reformed assassin turned holy man. he carry a belt full of knives. all kinds of knives. silver, iron, holy,and poisoned to name a few.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 04:08:13 AM by Mojosilver »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2011, 07:28:42 AM »
@Kiero:

I like the sword caddy idea. Once we get the ally stunt rules done, I'm making that guy.

And I think it'd be well worth rereading the DFRPG stunt rules. They are evidently at least a little different.

@benign:

Looks like a good summary. It's a lot like the one in the book, actually.

Are you sure it's not DFRPG specific? It has df in the url.

@toturi:

Ugh, no. I hate that argument so much. Compels are not bad things and being compellable is not a weakness.

Offline benign

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2011, 07:32:45 AM »
@sanc: It's by the Fate guys, but they mentioned somewhere that it can't be specifically for the DFRPG because they don't have the license to reproduce anything directly from the books or for the game. So instead it's DF with the serial numbers filed off to suit anyone playing any of the FATE derived games.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2011, 11:42:55 AM »
@toturi:

Ugh, no. I hate that argument so much. Compels are not bad things and being compellable is not a weakness.
I disagree but this will have to be one of the things we have to agree to disagree on. I think that Compels are not good things and being compellable is not necessarily a strength.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2011, 03:53:47 PM »
Compels do not have to be good things in order for them not to be bad things.
They do not have to be strengths in order for them not to be weaknesses.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2011, 06:53:17 PM »
@Kiero:

I like the sword caddy idea. Once we get the ally stunt rules done, I'm making that guy.

Oooh! Name him Patsy!
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Mojosilver

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2011, 08:00:43 PM »
Two things i have not see.(but may have missed) is to buy back your catch. go from holy stuff (+2) to true faith (+1) to sword of the cross (+0). or you could keep your refresh for more fate points. that way you do not have to deal with compelling as much.

Offline Kiero

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2011, 11:12:11 PM »
Two things i have not see.(but may have missed) is to buy back your catch. go from holy stuff (+2) to true faith (+1) to sword of the cross (+0). or you could keep your refresh for more fate points. that way you do not have to deal with compelling as much.

Nah, to be honest I'd rather have more powers than have a less inconvenient Catch. Spare Refresh isn't really needed either, there's rich enough Compel material in my existing Aspects to get by just fine for FPs.

Compels aren't a bad thing, they're a reward for complications I want to happen. Haven't found reason to say no to one yet.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2011, 02:33:50 AM »
Compels aren't a bad thing, they're a reward for complications I want to happen. Haven't found reason to say no to one yet.
I agree that they aren't bad if the complications are those that you want and at a degree that you expect.

For example, breaking a weapon. If you want the complication of breaking the weapon and you are ready for it with spare weapons, then getting an FP for weapon breakage isn't bad. But if the GM decides that that's too easy, and the only time you are going to get the FP is if you break your only weapon, then the Compel isn't as welcome, is it?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2011, 02:41:11 AM »
If the only thing that breaking your weapon does is to force you to take a supplemental action penalty on your next turn's actions (because you have to draw one of the 50 extra weapons you pack into your hammerspace just for this occasion), then that's YS would describe as a 'weak compel' and not worth gaining a FP for.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2011, 03:06:03 AM »
If the only thing that breaking your weapon does is to force you to take a supplemental action penalty on your next turn's actions (because you have to draw one of the 50 extra weapons you pack into your hammerspace just for this occasion), then that's YS would describe as a 'weak compel' and not worth gaining a FP for.
And there is where I think the problem lies. The more likely/more easily the character is able to overcome the Compel, the more likely the GM will call a weak Compel.
In my example, even sacrificing a supplemental action to draw another weapon as well as being able to have the weapons at hand in the first place does not seem to be complication enough to be worth gaining an FP for.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 03:08:53 AM by toturi »