Author Topic: Removing Stunts for Refresh / Powers  (Read 3162 times)

Offline arthurfallz

• Participant
  • The Dread Duck
    • View Profile
Removing Stunts for Refresh / Powers
« on: December 22, 2011, 05:23:50 AM »
Here's the situation, to put into context the question. My character in the game (which we are running troupe style) is a battered, abused and bitchy street goth with Ghost Speaker Power. She 4 Stunts as well, most of them reflecting her sarcastic attitude and her streetwise vibe.

Her Trouble is that a faerie lady has put a very potent curse on her - she is rapidly aging backwards, diminishing from her twenties into her teens, and at current writing six years old in body. This is part of the character's natural progression - she is learning to trust, to love and forgive and forget by being forced to be helpless and be helped. It's all good drama.

What our group has discussed is that this character, when she bounces (there's a plot planned for this), will end up with the potential to become a Wizard. Already the ghost of a wizard has taught her Channelling, which is planned to slowly overtake her Ghost Speaker power, and eventually she will become a full Wizard (if she makes the right choices). But she's left with these 4 Stunts which are making less and less sense. To make the conversation topical, the four Stunts are Hairpin Maestro, Resilient Self-Image, Takes One to Know One, and Infuriate.

I want to remove some or all of these Stunts. But according to the system, you can only swap Stunts. Is there no means to evolve a character such to remove Stunts as the character progresses? We are, of course, totally willing to just ignore the system to suit our game. But for the purposes of interest, is it possible to carve Stunts back for Refresh and / or Powers?
I reserve the right to change my opinion the moment I am proven wrong; that's called learning.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Removing Stunts for Refresh / Powers
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 05:54:09 AM »
There are a few options that you have, and I would talk it over with your table to see which one feels best for everyone.

First option is you're stuck with what you got. This is probably not a great solution for you, but if your table insists...

Second option is to find a thematic reason for it. Like aspects and powers you find a justification. This doesn't have to actually remove the knowledge (like amnesia or something similarly uninspired) but it could be a reason why it's just not as important now.

Third is that you just pull them off. The book acknowledges that sometimes our concept doesn't match our expectations. Sometimes we pick up powers or skills and then realize a couple of sessions later that we haven't used them once and they're dragging the character down. In this case it's nice to just switch things as needed and pretend that the character was always like that. Of course this is easier if you haven't used them.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 09:36:21 AM »
I like to think of stunts as permanently spent fate points. If you have a stunt that provides a +2 to a roll, you can just as easily invoke an appropriate aspect on your character for the same effect. However, the stunt is cheaper if you use that bonus more than once per refresh cycle.

That said, you don't actually lose a stunt, it just isn't the biggest part of you character anymore. All those stunts can easily be wrapped up in the aspect "(former) street goth". Therefore it is still a part of the character, just not an important one, since she moved on to do other things.

Basically this is sinkers second option.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline CottbusFiles

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 02:21:54 PM »
You could also take some colour from the stunts and let them reflect in her use of magic.
If someone has two weapon stunts, make him use the sword in his magic and his formula with terms from swordplay.
Trouble Aspect : The nazis are trying to kill me
                       I have a phoenix inside of me
                       Nothing goes like i want it to

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 04:18:57 PM »
According to RAW, you can only swap.  However, I don't think RAW is expecting the Mysterious Case of Benjamin Button (incidentally, if your character does go the Wizard route she could be accused of breaking the Sixth Law.....)

I agree with those above.  I would rebuild your character as you saw fit, but to keep some basic access to the stunts in a minor way I would change 1 or 2 (favoring 2) aspects to be able to utilize those abilities in a lesser, generalized manner.

As always, ultimately GM/Table's call.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 06:03:34 PM »
Per the book, you can completely rebuild your character with sufficient justification and time.  At worst, dropping a stunt takes similar justification and time.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 06:33:04 PM »
There is actually some precedent for dropping stunts - see YS73, in the bottom left, under "musts".  Of course, that's only one situation... but still, it implies that it can be done.

Personally, I'd allow removing a stunt that's no longer applicable as a minor milestone action, but I'll admit it's not technically RAW.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 04:21:32 AM »
I strongly suggest ignoring the RAW. Just drop the stunts.

I'm fairly certain that there will be no consequences.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 10:12:03 PM »
We have always played that Stunts and Powers can be swapped for each other at the appropriate Milestones.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline arthurfallz

• Participant
  • The Dread Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 05:00:27 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the great replies. I've decided that shaving off the one Stunt that was never used (Resilient Self Image) made sense, and the others I'm going to sweep away in an Aspect as the plot gets to that part. It was also a great way to look at what Stunts are and how to alter them.
I reserve the right to change my opinion the moment I am proven wrong; that's called learning.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 12:32:27 PM »
I strongly suggest ignoring the RAW. Just drop the stunts.

I'm fairly certain that there will be no consequences.

The best answer by far.

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 02:15:54 PM »
i am bit late to answer the thread, but when i am GMing i would allow what the story justifies. so in principle, yes i would let you drop the stunts.

Offline Flipside

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 07:26:34 AM »
To add my two and a half cents - if the stunt is personality-based, you can easily justify dropping it. "I am no longer a Infuriating as I used to be". " I am now a sorceress, I am changing the way I think about myself and my Personality is no longer Resilient"

Offline Kiero

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 12:19:13 PM »
Something else to add, Mortal Stunts should not be as "sticky" as supernatural Powers are. Powers usually reflect some fundamental part of your nature, and are hard to come by. Stunts usually represent training or proclivities which can be changed over time.

Offline arthurfallz

• Participant
  • The Dread Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 03:57:23 PM »
Something else to add, Mortal Stunts should not be as "sticky" as supernatural Powers are. Powers usually reflect some fundamental part of your nature, and are hard to come by. Stunts usually represent training or proclivities which can be changed over time.

I agree, and that was my first impression. It was when I looked through the rules that I noticed there were no means to remove Stunts, but there was also no discussion as to why Stunts persisted more than Powers did.