Author Topic: You're a Bear! (Mental Maneuvers and Lawbreaking)  (Read 5053 times)

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: You're a Bear! (Mental Maneuvers and Lawbreaking)
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2011, 01:25:54 AM »
Anyway I would still argue that Molly didn't maneuver, as later on we see the effects of the spell (damage to their psyche), but no currently active energies (or at least none that are mentioned). Additionally they talk about repairing the damage, which would be simple if it was a constant spell effect (counter it and it's done), however they speak of a long-term recuperative process. That seems more like consequences than a maneuver spell.
True enough.  Perhaps it was something in between a maneuver and a take-out.  That is, perhaps it was, say, a moderate mental consequence inflicted (and re-inflicted to ensure the effect continued).

On the other hand, the aspect created by the mental maneuver itself *could* reflect a form of damage to the psyche.  After all, the game effects of a maneuver-based aspect and a consequence are to a large extent the same, except in terms of how the effect ends.  So a maneuver with a duration jacked up to 'several years' could represent far deeper psychic damage than even a severe consequence.  And while many folks on this board seem to think of mental combat in clean, bloodless terms, YS consistently refers to any form of mental combat in very negative terms.  Consider:
When you decide to take on that complexity with something as crude and simple as a compulsion, psychological trauma is inevitable.
But lets assume for a moment that the Molly example actually reflects a messier consequence-based attack, and the maneuver-grade mental attacks are cleaner because they're temporary.  Let's set up a scenario.  A young sorceror is at a frat party, and meets a girl there that he would desperately like to get a bit closer to.  She's just there to blow off a little steam and refuses his advances.  He lays on a bit of mojo, placing an aspect "God, I need this man NOW!" on her.  Maybe she spent her last Fate point trying to resist the urge to tell her bastard of a boss what she REALLY thought of his 'suggestions'.  In any case, events proceed, and they spend some ... quality time together.  They part ways, the 'scene' ends, the magic wears off ...

And suddenly the girl is wondering what the hell happened.  There's NO WAY she would ever do something like that, would she?  After all, she just wanted to have a few drinks and maybe get lost in some music for a few hours until her fiance got off his late shift.  Was it rape?  She doesn't remember resisting, in fact for some reason she recalls dragging him into that room.  Did he drug her?  What the hell happened?  Oh my God, what is her fiance going to say?  Should she tell him?  Should she bury that secret for the rest of her life?  Did anyone see her go with him, and would he find out from them?  OH MY GOD, DID HE USE PROTECTION?!

All this from a harmless little mental maneuver spell.  Of course, the game mechanics don't really portray any of the above long-lasting trauma.  But the simple fact is that the sorceror used magic to rob the girl of her right to exercise free will in the decision.  Fourth Law.  Does it matter that it was a maneuver, rather than a mild consequence with roughly the same results?

Yes, there are certainly many possible uses of mental maneuvers that result in no long-lasting effects.  Perhaps the sorceror is waiting near the entrance to the cafeteria and sees his ex-girlfriend heading in his direction.  He doesn't want to deal with the situation, so he hits her with a "Walk on by" sort of aspect, and she passes by, never realizing he was there.  He heads in the other direction.  A short while later, she realizes that she somehow managed to walk right by the cafeteria (where she had been heading), and turns back, laughing at herself for having been so lost in thought.  No long-term effects, most likely.  Still, behavior was altered.  Fourth Law.

And who knows, perhaps some lingering after-effect of the spell might make her just a bit more absentminded, in much the same way that a trivial injury recieved when tripped (physical maneuevr) might leave just a bit of a scar?  Neither of which would produce any long-term game effects, but still represent a lasting impact to the person nonetheless.

Well, in any case, treat such things as you will.  This is just the way I see it, based on reading through the descriptions of mental combat and the Laws, as well as the novels.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2011, 02:09:20 AM »
To be honest there are a couple of reasons why I don't think the maneuver is appropriate. For one thing a maneuvered aspect is still impermanent even if it has a duration of centuries. If someone inflicted a "confused" aspect on someone else, regardless of the duration the target could simply take a moment to collect themselves and the aspect is gone. Because that's how all maneuvers work. All maneuvers require only a counter-maneuver to remove, and there's no reason to believe that thaumaturgic maneuvers work any differently. Actually the quote you put forward - about mind magic having long reaching consequences - seems to imply that consequences are more applicable in this situation. There was another quote I was looking at, but the other one seemed more concrete at the time.

Quote from: "Your Story: 265
Because temporary aspects from maneuvers
are transient, these sorts of spells tend to be
very carefully timed or triggered so the aspect
or effect manifests when it’s needed (e.g., “I’ll
arrange it so he Can’t Think Straight right
at the moment he steps on stage”). For a more
lasting effect, it’s time to look at contests and
conflicts.

Maneuvers - even thaumaturgic maneuvers - are transient.

Maybe we could look at this another way. Would you allow a mage to add an eighth aspect to their character sheet? A ninth? More? If this is the way you look at maneuvers, then what's to prevent any of your players that have ritual from adding aspects. They wouldn't even need to perform huge rituals, just maybe 10 or 15 shifts every month or two.

Finally the thing that bugs me most is that your examples seem to be describing a maneuver-to-take-out situation. Your mage maneuvers once, and the girl is completely his, as if he had taken her out or she had conceded. I hate that concept so very much. It robs the story of most of it's value and removes a lot of the challenge and enjoyment from any game. Even if I didn't dislike it, it's not RAW. Compels cannot dictate a course of action. A compel can narrow options, but they can never define a result. It's possible that in your example she reacted more favorably, but it is not the only course of action, and regardless it seems very unlikely that she would simply have given up.

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2011, 02:20:27 AM »

Finally the thing that bugs me most is that your examples seem to be describing a maneuver-to-take-out situation. Your mage maneuvers once, and the girl is completely his, as if he had taken her out or she had conceded. I hate that concept so very much. It robs the story of most of it's value and removes a lot of the challenge and enjoyment from any game. Even if I didn't dislike it, it's not RAW. Compels cannot dictate a course of action. A compel can narrow options, but they can never define a result. It's possible that in your example she reacted more favorably, but it is not the only course of action, and regardless it seems very unlikely that she would simply have given up.

I feel like there are examples in the book of maneuvers leading directly to something in effect being 'taken out' but I could be mistaken.  How, though, is it not RAW?   There's nothing in the RAW that says a compel can not dictate a course of action that I'm aware of, although I'll admit that I don't have the book in front of me.  When I can I'll try to track it down but I seem to recall at least one official example of an aspect being used to create a 'taken out' effect but don't quote me on that until it can be verified.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2011, 04:40:35 AM »
When the book enumerates the things you can do with a compel it mentions three things. Firstly you can provide complications, or use them to drive the story. Neither of those things are really pertinent right now. You can also limit actions or choices. This is the important part. Here's a quote.

Quote from: Your Story: 101
It’s important to note that an aspect may
dictate the type of action when compelled this
way, but it usually won’t dictate the precise
action, which is always the player’s decision. In
this way, compelling the aspect highlights the
difficulty of the choices at hand by placing limits
on those choices, using the idea of the aspect to
define (or at least suggest) those limits.

So in the first example above you could compel the girl to react favorably, but you can't compel her straight to bed.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2011, 05:07:15 AM »
For one thing a maneuvered aspect is still impermanent even if it has a duration of centuries. If someone inflicted a "confused" aspect on someone else, regardless of the duration the target could simply take a moment to collect themselves and the aspect is gone. Because that's how all maneuvers work. All maneuvers require only a counter-maneuver to remove, and there's no reason to believe that thaumaturgic maneuvers work any differently.
Not exactly.  Yes, you can remove a maneuver aspect with a countermaneuver.  However, there is a roll involved in doing so.  If the maneuever isn't being maintained, then this roll is largely a gimme (difficulty 0).  However, if the maneuver is being actively maintained (either by the opponent for a mundane maneuver, or in this cas by a spell construct), then the roll is contested.  Even a fairly low-grade thaumaturgy spell may be pretty tough to remove without some help (whether that help is a counterspell or even just a couple of appropriate aspects and some Fate points to power them.)
Actually the quote you put forward - about mind magic having long reaching consequences - seems to imply that consequences are more applicable in this situation.
The advantage to consequences is that they don't go away even when the magic fades.  So if I use a maneuver with the duration of a lifetime, but another wizard comes along the next day and does a ritual to remove it, then the aspect is gone.  If I do a ritual that inflicts a severe consequence, all the counterspelling in the world will have no effect; that consequence is there until it is healed.
Maybe we could look at this another way. Would you allow a mage to add an eighth aspect to their character sheet? A ninth? More? If this is the way you look at maneuvers, then what's to prevent any of your players that have ritual from adding aspects. They wouldn't even need to perform huge rituals, just maybe 10 or 15 shifts every month or two.
There are lots of ways to break DFRPG if the GM and the players aren't reasonable about it.  Consider, for example, a character with "I succeed at everything" as several of his aspects.  This could allow him to spend multiple Fate points on absolutely any test that he wanted to succeed at.  Technically legal, but not exactly in the spirit of the game.

In the case of a wizard creating a permanent spell-based advantage (assuming that the aspect was otherwise 'reasonable'), I'd look at ways to balance it out.  That 'free' aspect they added can be compelled, and since it inherently represents the presence of an ongoing spell (despite its wording), it can be compelled to reflect trouble caused by that ongoing spell.  For example, if they character placed "Extraordinary Strength" on himself, I might compel it to reflect muscle strain caused as a side effect.  Or perhaps an evil Sorceror takes note of the active spell on the character when he might have otherwise him.  Or I might suggest that the character "doesn't know his own strength" and accidental breaks something or hurts someone.  Bottom line?  I suppose the wizard can add the aspect, but aspects are often two-edged swords.
First of all, I don't entirely disagree with what you're saying.  That said, to some extent, that's the way the game is built.  Here are a few points to consider:
1) Just to be clear, were I a GM, I would *never* do something like this to a player, at least not without discussing it with them OOC first.  See also the "That Warning Thing" sidebar on YS217.  My assumption was that this was an NPC, thus the lack of alternatives available.  If it were a player, and there were no other options I'd probably allow them to buy off the compel with debt to avoid the immediate situation, then treat the debt (which would last past the duration of the spell) as some undefined mental trauma that would cause trouble later.
2) What is the difference between an aspect placed on a character during creation vs and aspect put on the character via a maneuver?  Well, one is (generally speaking) permanent, and the other is transitory.  But at a particular instant, all aspects in play on a character are pretty much equally in play.  There's no difference at any particular moment between an aspect "I'm deathly afraid of clowns" chosen at character creation and the same aspect inflicted by a maneuver and the same apsect inflicted by a consequence.  The only difference is that the first is permanent (unless changed at a milestone or by an extreme consequence), while the other two will disappear on their own at some point, depending on circumstances.  All three can be compelled, all three allow the compel to be bought off, etc.
3) Consider the case of Incite Emotion.  The example I gave is basically canon for how Incite Emotion works: you generate a maneuver, then you exploit that maneuver in much the way I described, though typically with some feeding involved.  Look at the way the Raiths are portrayed in the books, and consider that for the typical Raith (ie, one without the upgrades), those results are generated via maneuver.  Anything a WCV can do with a emotional maneuever can also be done using mind magic.
4) Aspects of any sort (including those based on maneuvers or even consequences) are not sure things.  They limit actions and possibly dictate types of actions, but leave the details up to the player.  Another possible resolution of the scenario being discussed is that the girl was at the part with a friend (perhaps its two player characters, in this case).  The girl started to succomb (took the compel), but her friend noticed her very odd behavior (especially considering she was happily engaged!) and intervened.  This opens a new line of possibilities.  If the sorceror pushes the situation, perhaps the friend calls on some large frat boys she knows, and perhaps a combat scene ensues if the antagonist doesn't back down.  Regardless, though, the spell might have an effect that outlives its duration.  A reputation for being 'easy', for example, despite the fact that the friend intervened, and many of the other questions raised in the original example.  In this (contrived) scenario, none of that happened.  There was no 'friend' to intervene, and in any case the GM decided that the (NPC) girl succombed for story reasons.
5) Continuing on the 'not a sure thing' bit, compels can generally be bought off with Fate points, but in this (contrived) scenario, the victim was out of Fate, leaving her vulnerable.  Remember, Fate is a reflection of a character's capacity to exercise free will; no Fate to a large extent means no real Free Will (at least for the moment) and therefore a no capability to fight against one's nature.  This is something of a core principle in DFRPG.  In this example, the spellcaster has changed the target's nature based on the new aspect.  Mind magic is NASTY STUFF.

Again, much of this represents a fairly extreme result of a mental maneuver to prove the point that such spells can be dangerous even as "mere maneuvers".

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2011, 05:26:12 AM »
So in the first example above you could compel the girl to react favorably, but you can't compel her straight to bed.
Yes and no.  Lets say the girl's a player character, and I and the player have previously discussed and agreed that seduction scenes were fair game.  My take is that in this particular case, the whole of the compel would take the form of the me stating "You feel a sudden, desperate need to be intimate with this man.  How do you respond?" and tapping a chip suggestively against the card with the new aspect on it.  At this point, the player chooses a response within the context.  If the player said "I accept the compel an start toward the man, then think better of it and go home to sleep it off", I would suggest that the player try again.  The wingman scenario I mentioned in my last post certainly be possible.  Maybe the player could come up with another option that fits the context of the compel, but short of spending a Fate point to buy off the compel, the player's options are somewhat limited.

I get that you disagree, and respect that.  I agree that maneuver-based aspects don't feel as though they should be that powerful.  But if they don't work the way I'm describing them, then how do you believe that the Incite Emotion power works, and how would a Raith vampire use the baseline version -- which is limited to maneuver (and blocks) -- to produce results comparable to those in the novels?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2011, 06:52:59 AM »
I'll answer your question, but it does seem like at this point we may have to agree to disagree.

With the Raith there are many reason why it works. Firstly a conflict requires two opposing forces. Often times with the Raith there aren't two opposing forces. The Raith are attractive, and hardly need to incite lust to get their desired effect. When a conflict does occur, the Raith are also very experienced at social conflict. Using their incite lust power to their advantage, I'm certain that most of them could win a social conflict. Finally I can think of one time where a completely unwilling target was overcome by a Raith's lust. In Grave Peril where Thomas overcomes Lydia, however considering that the end result seemed like a take out to me and that it seems like Thomas is an experienced and somewhat powerful member of his kind (and considering that I still hate the idea of maneuver-to-take-out) I would assume that he was dealing stress.

I've been exploring my feelings towards the concept of a maneuver-to-take-out, and I realize further why I hate it so much. If the story or fun is improved by this then obviously the conflict was detrimental, in which case I would ask why is there a conflict in the first place. Otherwise the story or fun is always going to be worse for this concept.