Author Topic: How do I make a precision based spellcaster?  (Read 3436 times)

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: How do I make a precision based spellcaster?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 02:50:05 AM »
There is some, though. Say you've got Discipline at 5, a specialization in Control for Fire evocations, and three of your four focus item slots into a blasting rod, you're starting off rolling from 9. Even if your Conviction is only 3, you're just about guaranteed to hit whatever you're aiming at. Against a Good defense roll, you're doing 9 solid shifts of stress.

I guess I don't equate "likelyhood to hit" with precision.  A perfectly aimed laser beam might be just as hard to dodge as a huge fireball, just for different reasons. Or they might both be EASY to dodge. It depends on the circumstances, who is attack, who is defending, etc.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 03:17:41 AM »
I guess I don't equate "likelyhood to hit" with precision.  A perfectly aimed laser beam might be just as hard to dodge as a huge fireball, just for different reasons. Or they might both be EASY to dodge. It depends on the circumstances, who is attack, who is defending, etc.

Hm.  This is actually a pretty good argument in favor of just going with high conviction & discipline for such a character, and using an aspect for raw power vs. finesse.  Thanks.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 01:01:06 PM »
Another idea for it might be to have low Conviction, high Discipline, and high Lore--with a specialization in wards, and focus items tailored so that he can cast a solid 4-5 shift ward quickly, similar to how other dedicated Thaumaturgists (The Kemmlerites, for example) can throw out other thaumaturgical effects on the fly as if it was Evocation.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 01:19:12 PM »
I say your best bet is to stay high discipline lower conviction (I wouldn't go too much lower).
Use your specializations for Control as much as possible (since specializations apply to both offensive and defensive).  Use your focus items for Defensive Power.

Enchanted Items make the most effective defense in a lot of cases, as they can be used reactively.  Use those as well.  You can always take a 1-stress hit to use them again after their uses per day dry up, which is often more effective for many low Conviction characters to do with that first and possibly second stress box.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 05:18:41 PM »
Another idea for it might be to have low Conviction, high Discipline, and high Lore--with a specialization in wards, and focus items tailored so that he can cast a solid 4-5 shift ward quickly, similar to how other dedicated Thaumaturgists (The Kemmlerites, for example) can throw out other thaumaturgical effects on the fly as if it was Evocation.
Which brings to mind a couple of questions: How fast can a wizard cast a No-prep spell that is within their Discipline  Conviction to cast in one roll?
And..
Can a separator like a chalk Circle serve as a "threshold" to hang a Ward on?
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 06:04:59 PM »
Which brings to mind a couple of questions: How fast can a wizard cast a No-prep spell that is within their Discipline  Conviction to cast in one roll?

Going by the single line in the book that provides this sort of guidance, it takes a minute at the very least. Depending on the situation, the narrative tension, and how important the spell is going to be, it could possibly be more like 5-15 minutes.

Can a separator like a chalk Circle serve as a "threshold" to hang a Ward on?

Not that easily, I feel. Harry has been able to ward locations lacking a natural threshold, but it was made clear that he did so by doing a lot of prep work to the site.

On the other hand, Council-level Wizards have reportedly thrown down Ward-level magic on the battlefield, so with enough power, possibly. But for those situations, the community has suggested that Merlin has something equivalent to Sponsored Magic allowing EvoThaum. It could also be that Merlin is actually throwing gigantic Block spells but the fiction is parsing them as Wards for strategic badass purposes.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:06:57 PM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 11:10:22 PM »
Your average thaumaturgic ritual (with minimal prep) takes "a few minutes."  If you use the time chart, it is reasonable to add 3-4 to the complexity to make it possible in combat.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 02:57:39 PM »
Not that easily, I feel. Harry has been able to ward locations lacking a natural threshold, but it was made clear that he did so by doing a lot of prep work to the site.

You defiantly can ward a circle that how summoning works you create a ward to keep something in, seems perfectly feasible you could do the reverse, I always treat a circle as threshold 1 anyway.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 05:11:15 PM »
You defiantly can ward a circle that how summoning works you create a ward to keep something in, seems perfectly feasible you could do the reverse, I always treat a circle as threshold 1 anyway.

While the containment circle to contain an entity is *like* a ward per the RAW, you don't actually make a Ward (with landmines and warning links) when you do so: that kind of Ward is a special thing with its own rules, and breaks down slowly when attacks overcome its strength. A containment circle is like an Evocation Block in that it is destroyed if the contained entity breaks through it.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets