Author Topic: Can i have a Pegasus as an IoP  (Read 3458 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Can i have a Pegasus as an IoP
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 06:43:11 AM »
The aforementioned constuct creation rules.

An aspect is the best way to handle a pet under the current rules.

I've been wanting to write powers for multiple bodies for a long time. But I've never found a good way to do it.

Companion is a decent start, but I'm pretty sure it isn't balanced. I suggest that you lower the skill cap of the companion as a start.

Anyway, if people are interested in making this into a collaborative project I'm definitely game. I'll call the project a success if it can model all of the following:

A character with a pet
A character with a whole bunch of pets
A character with multiple bodies
A character that can copy itself
A character that can shapeshift into multiple bodies at once
A character with numerous minions
A character and another character statted as a single entity

Tall order, I know. If it was easy, I'd have done it already.

PS: Revlid wrote up a multiple body power that's definitely worth checking out. It's on the master list.

Offline SunlessNick

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 10:48:37 AM »
Just using an Aspect for it doesn't seem very satisfying to me - and powers need to be referenced in Aspects anyway, so it'll still be there.  I'd use something like the Item of Power power, but with the same condition that any abilities the Companion has come out of your own Refresh - also I'd give it 2 skill points, plus whatever you give it out of your character's personal stash (ie, the "+2, then split the points between character and external help" applies to skills as well as powers).

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 01:53:19 PM »
or any other strongish mythological creature?

A mythological creature as an IoP...  Is anyone else thinking of Bubo?

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 05:09:14 PM »
I feel that the Companion rules in Spirit of the Century would be a good place to start - take the Companion as a Stunt, and keep adding Stunts until it is fair to have a Pegasus.

This page probably does not require some reference to the original SotC rules, but if it does, my apologies:
http://evilhat.wikidot.com/companions-and-minions-reloaded
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline benign

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 08:06:51 PM »
How's this for a revision?

Companion [-1]
Description:
You and another being are inextricably tied. Whether it be a blood brother, a familiar, or something else, the two of you are utterly devoted to one another and your fates are intertwined.
Musts: You must define an NPC character or creature to be your companion. Take an aspect that reflects your tie with it.
Effects:
Ally.
Create a character sheet for your companion. It has 2 refresh to spend and 3 skills at Average (+1). It must have a high concept, which decides what kind of powers (if any) it has access to.
Training. You may spend skill points to improve your ally's skills. You must follow the skill pyramid rules as normal, and your companion's skills are capped one level below your own (so if your skills are capped at Great, your ally may not possess a skill better than Good).
We are as one. You are subject to compels on the aspect that defines your relationship to your companion and, in some cases, to any aspects that your companion itself has. You may choose to spend your own fate points on rolls and declarations made by your companion. Your companion may not possess fate points from compels, because of unspent refresh during milestones, or for any other reason.
Level Up [-1]. Your companion gains an additional two refresh to spend on powers and stunts. If you have more than one companion, you may split this refresh among them in any way you desire. The total refresh spent by your companions may not exceed half of your available refresh, including refresh spent on powers, stunts, and Companion powers.
The More the Merrier [-1]. You gain another companion. It starts with 2 refresh to spend and 3 skills at Average, just like your original companion, and may be improved via Level Up. The total refresh spent by your companions may not exceed half of your available refresh, including refresh spent on powers, stunts, and Companion powers.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:10:47 PM by benign »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 08:24:22 PM »
@SunlessNick: An aspect is not a perfect solution, or even a good one. But it is the best available right now. If you'd like to elaborate on your power idea, I'm listening.

@devonapple: Thanks muchly. That will be helpful.

@benign: A definite improvement. But don't ask me if it's actually good, because I can't tell.

@everyone: Which sorts of effect should be stunts and which should be powers? As a preliminary thought, maybe stunts could give semi-independent characters that can be given orders but not controlled action to action. Powers would give total control.

Offline Selrach

• Conversationalist
  • You'll never guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 09:51:54 PM »
Do you have to have a separate skill pyramid for your companion or do they fall into your own skill pyramid?
Apparently I would much rather post than sleep.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 10:24:12 PM »
@Sanctaphrax: I'd be interested in a colloborative effort to create a system for what you posted about.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 01:46:16 AM »
I would allow someone to split there refresh and base skills on refresh level  so a ten refresh character could have two characters at feet at the water level (with IoP or pure mortal bonus).
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 03:16:15 AM »
Okay, looks like there's enough interest for us to do this.

I think we can probably model everything that we need to model with five powers/stunt trees.

-A Survival stunt tree that gives you pets. The base stunt could give you a small dog or a bird. Upgrades could go all the way up to a pack of wolves or a lesser dragon. Or a team of Pokemon.

-A Presence/Contacts/Resources stunt tree that gives you minions. The base stunt could give you a secretary. Upgrades could go all the way to a private army or Kincaid.

-A Lore stunt tree that gives you bound spirits and other magical creatures. The base stunt could give you Toot-Toot. Upgrades could go all the way to a genie in a lamp or The Za-Lord's Guard.

-A shapeshifting power that lets you transform into multiple bodies. Depending on the variant, this could either let you clone yourself (like Naruto), let you split yourself (like Twinrova), or let you create an army of minions (like the Sliver Queen).

-A power that represents having multiple bodies normally. Could be used for a hive mind or just for two characters played by one player. The bodies may or may not be identical to one another.

Have I missed anything?

If not, there's one thing that we need to work out immediately. Should the abilities of a minion depend upon the abilities of the original character or upon the amount of refresh invested or upon both?

Offline Praxidicae

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 01:25:27 PM »
Has anyone looked at the 'Strange Fate' rules for companions in the Fate edition of Kerberos Club?
They'd probably take a bit of modification as the rules for skill tiers and 'strange skills' etc might conflict with the DFRPG rules. But it should allow 'powered' companions much more easily than the SotC rules would (I must admit I haven't looked at SotC for a while so can't remember the exact wording of the relevant stunt off the top of my head).