Author Topic: Ideas for a Tengu Scion?  (Read 10451 times)

Offline Jebm

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for a Tengu Scion?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 06:40:28 PM »
Well I don't want to go over bored with it. How many skills and stunts is a Submerged character normally allowed to have?. would it be possible redesign him a bit so he could take the emissary of power and still be a scion?. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 06:43:39 PM by Jebm »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 07:02:41 PM »
A Submerged character has 35 skill points and 10 refresh. He can only spend 9 of his refresh, though.

You can absolutely be both an Emissary and a Scion. Just take Marked By Power and you're an Emissary. Just say that you're a Scion and you're a Scion.

Offline Jebm

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 07:26:49 PM »
so how many stunts could I take out of the one I'd chosen?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 03:02:20 AM »
None, if you use the build I suggested.

Depending on how much you're willing to cut, you could afford up to 11. Any more than 8 would require going Pure Mortal, though.

Offline Jebm

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 03:24:28 AM »
what would I need to cut to do so?

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 04:42:30 AM »
The sample build Sanctaphrax provided spends 9 of your 10 refresh, leaving only 1 (which you can't spend without turning the character into an NPC).  Stunts cost 1 refresh each, so you could trade out powers for a number of stunts equal to their cost.  For example, dropping your Speed from Supernatural to Inhuman would free up two refresh, and you could spend that on two stunts.

If you wanted to go with a stunt-based build, you could create a Pure Mortal (which gives you 12 refresh instead of 10 to spend, but can only be spent on stunts, not powers).  This would let you take up to 11 stunts, though if you did so you'd have very little in the way of Fate to spend.

Offline Jebm

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 04:55:10 AM »
Oh, Got you. didn't know it worked that way.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 05:08:25 AM »
Oh, Got you. didn't know it worked that way.
Yup, you get a pool of refresh (which varies depending on the game's power level).  That refresh can be spent on powers and/or stunts.  Unspent refresh represents your remaining free will, and determines how many Fate points you start each session with -- so there is a bit of a tradeoff with spending too much of your refresh (because you will need to accept compels more often in order to gain Fate points).

Offline Jebm

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2011, 03:18:12 PM »
After talking to a friend of mine who's a historian/mythology major, I've figured out a few appropriate weaknesses for my Tengu scion. While they apparently apply for the two separate species of Tengu Daihana  and Karasu (Long nose and Crow), I've decided to give him both catches as a matter of flavor. The first catch is Bamboo Weaponry which should be treated as cold iron and the second is Japanese Holy Items. With these being specific weaknesses I'm not sure how they  would be treated as. I've also been thinking of giving him a feeding dependency for his supernatural speed.

Would creating a shell of air around projectile weapon to increasing it's piercing and impact  be considered channeling or evocation as I've been planning to make him skilled with bows,guns and thrown objects.

Offline benign

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2011, 05:15:16 PM »
So weaknesses typically take the form of the "Catch" part of the Toughness and Recovery powers. Looking at your presumed build, it calls for +1 worth of catch, meaning you can get by with a very specific, hard to find, and hard to research weakness.

You could easily justify the +1 refund you need with a catch of bamboo weapons and Shinto holy items. In fact I would normally price such a catch as +1 for being difficult but possible to research, and +1 for for being difficult to find but possible for anyone who is willing to devote the time and money. So in my games it would normally be a +2 refund total, but since you are taking a power that costs -2 to get and the refund from the catch can't reduce the power's cost below -1, it is effectively a +1 Catch for you.

God I hope that all makes sense.

As to the question about using magic, Channeling is really just a very focused, less powerful version of evocation. With both you would have to choose the element Air to accomplish what you outlined, but anything you could do with Channeling you could also do with Evocation. So it's not really a question of "which one do I take to accomplish X effect", but "am I someone who has an uncanny ability to control the spirits of air (channeling) or am I a wizard-type spellcaster who happens to be slightly better at controlling air (evocation)".

I recommend channeling for you, as it would fit better (it seems) and is cheaper. Now you have to design a spell which would accomplish the effects you describe, which isn't easy in itself. Give me some time to think about it and I'll post what comes to mind, unless someone else (hopefully) beats me to it.

Offline Jebm

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2011, 02:24:32 AM »
Ok thank you and what ever you decide is fine. The build is a sample one of the  forum members made for me. I'm currently trying to rework his item of power and was trying to come up with a few enchanted items for him. I was thinking of giving him a straw cloak that can change shape as well as act as a veil and an enchanted fan. the air shell idea is mainly becuase I could see the more progressive and pragmatic Tengu taking up firearms when archery is not enough similar to the Gruff clan. As for his build, I wanted to make him a physical martial artist/swordsman who can blow an oni's head off with an arrow or gun from range if he wanted to.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:42:39 AM by Jebm »

Offline Jebm

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2012, 04:32:00 AM »
This is my first attempt at doing an Item of Power. Please tell me what you think needs work.

Sword Of The Great Tengu [-3]
Description: This an exquisitely made katana traditionally used by the Tengu Clan’s current prince or chosen emissary as a symbol of the their authority and grants the wielder access to a small measure of the king’s sword skills while in combat.
Musts: You must have an aspect related to your possession of this item.
Skills Affected: Weapons, Athletics
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. The Sword of the Great Tengu was crafted by the Tengu for the use of a skilled warrior. If the user ever leaves the path of the sword behind as defined by the Tengu this item will not work for them in a mundane or a magical sense
[-0] It Is What It Is. An extremely well made Katana Weapon 3
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose.
[+2] One-Time Discount. The Sword of the Great Tengu is not easy to conceal, because it's a sheathed Katana
[-2]  Tengu’s Guiding Hand: The wielder is partially possessed by the Tengu King via a mind meld, who subconsciously guides their swords strikes. The user gains the full effect of these stunts provided they are physically holding the blade.
Quick Draw (Weapons)
Iaijutsu (Weapons)
Riposte (Weapons)
Footwork (Weapons)
Devastating Slashes (Weapons)
My Weapon Speaks For Me (Weapons)
[-1]Unnatural Edge: By spending a fate point an attack with the sword automatically ignores mundane armor or armor created via some manner of spell craft.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 04:37:40 AM by Jebm »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2012, 06:49:53 AM »
A few things strike me as problematic:

1. Costs don't add up. +2 rebate -1 Unnatural Edge -2 Tengu's Guiding Hand does not result in a cost of -3.

2. Powers that are like stunts but better are bad form in my opinion. I would suggest attaching stunts at their full cost to the sword.

3. I'm not entirely clear on how Unnatural Edge is meant to work.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2012, 08:38:07 AM »
A few things strike me as problematic:
3. I'm not entirely clear on how Unnatural Edge is meant to work.

I think it's a dialed-down version of All Creatures are Equal, which costs a Fate point per strike, and only ignores Mundane and Spellcraft armor.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Jebm

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2012, 08:48:39 AM »
Oh,Didn't know that about the costs. Yes the Unnatural Edge was supposed to emulate the Warden Sword's abilities to ignore armor made by spell craft and blocks.
What would be your take on Tengu's Guiding Hand Sanctaphrax if it didn't give stunts?.

I wish I wasn't so new at this >_<