Author Topic: Offscreen NPC Battles  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Offscreen NPC Battles
« on: April 02, 2012, 03:56:29 PM »
Sometimes NPCs get into fights offscreen--so how do you guys resolve the results? Do you actually make the rolls, compare the relative skill levels and powers, or just make it up to whatever's more dramatically appropriate?
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Offscreen NPC Battles
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 03:59:55 PM »
Sometimes NPCs get into fights offscreen--so how do you guys resolve the results? Do you actually make the rolls, compare the relative skill levels and powers, or just make it up to whatever's more dramatically appropriate?

I haven't run this game yet.

However: in other games if it happens off-screen (not where any player can see it I assume?)  I do what my plot requires/story needs/is most dramatically appropriate.  Regardless of skill level, unless one is clearly outmatched I just decide, I never roll.

If the PC's can see and therefore in theory change the outcome of said fight, I will roll out the fight. The caveat being if the npc;'s are all mooks then I just roll a die and compare higher results to speed such things along.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 06:03:19 PM »
Yeah, every time that I've had offscreen conflicts I usually just do what's best for the story. If it's better for the underdog to impossibly come out on top, then that's totally what's going to happen.

I think if I was pressed to stick to some solid representation though, I would likely compare strengths and simply have the stronger come out on top. No need to roll.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 08:38:40 PM »
If i have an outcome in mind, that happens.

If I can discern that my players don't much care, and I don't have a stake in the outcome, and it's an evenly-matched battle, I'll just roll a high/low die or have 1 opposed roll decide it.

If I can tell my players are invested in 1 or both NPCs, then what I've done in the past is have the players roll for the NPCs.  It changes from an offscreen battle to a "cutscene" of sorts, and the players stay engaged.

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 05:55:57 AM »
How it's handled depends on what you are trying to get out of it. The middle ground between player aided cutscene and knowing what you want to have happen is usually done as an aspect/consequence generator to extrapolate PC intervention beyond direct involvement. At that point, either play it out yourself if you have the time and interest or abstract it down to a character per side (best applicable attack ability, worst applicable defense, bonuses for applicable aspects) with one attack each treating the threshold as consequence levels to spread among the members of each side.

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 04:46:08 PM »
However: in other games if it happens off-screen (not where any player can see it I assume?)  I do what my plot requires/story needs/is most dramatically appropriate.  Regardless of skill level, unless one is clearly outmatched I just decide, I never roll.

In a recent game I ran many supernaturals in the city attacked a huge force of enemies while the PCs sneaked by them to attack the Big Bad.  I simply narrated the results of the NPC fights based on Aspects and how they would fight.  For example the RCV and his cronies were kicking some ass until they got a chance to leave their biker werewolf rival's flank uncovered by charging ahead which nearly caused the wolves to be overrun.  This will lead to some serious repercussions later on.   
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 01:56:12 AM »
I BS shamelessly when the fight's offscreen. If it's onscreen, I play it out round by round.