Author Topic: Given Penny's post, here is another pet peeve of mine...  (Read 4281 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Given Penny's post, here is another pet peeve of mine...
« on: December 04, 2011, 04:23:11 PM »
Why would a writer use, "seems"? Why would any writer do that, and we ALL do it in first drafts and even in final copy edits!  How can reporting a feeling or an action rather than giving the reader that same thing directly?

As the frustrated reader, the writer is cheating me and putting up a barrier between me and the character or the action. Even when a writer wants to distance the reader from a particular character for some great reason, I can't be satisfied until you SHOW me why I'm distanced rather than TELLING me.

Please don't ever TELL me. I'm a bright intelligent reader, and I don't want you to TELL me anything--SHOW me!

OK, that was harsh for a Sunday morning. It must be my hungry stomach...  Sorry, but I'll post it anyway, because it is true. Never talk down to your reader, whether they are ten or ninety.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 04:24:47 PM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Given Penny's post, here is another pet peeve of mine...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 03:12:06 AM »
Can you give some examples of what you mean?  I'm not getting the gist of the post and I'm intrigued.

Offline Gruud

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 03:17:13 AM »
The only time I find myself using the word "seem" or its equivalent is when I'm in one character's POV, trying to describe (whether showing or telling) the actions of another character.

What's their motivation, why are the doing or saying  what they do?

The currently occupied chaarcter can't really know, but by observation of body language, tone of voice etc they can make an educated guess.

So, the other person my "seem to reconsider" or may "seem to be preoccupied by their recollections", because the POV'er can't really know for sure.

Is that what you mean, or is it something else entirely?

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 04:42:51 PM »
I would think it should only be used when describing something the character isn't sure is there.

Take this bit from very early in my story.  A bit description heavy, but its meant to add a bit more suspense to the first encounter...
"A few moments later a five foot tall, twenty foot long, bipedal, feathered reptile clicked into view at the T-junction in the tunnels to Keth’s left.  Its black scales and feathers seemed to glimmer with hidden turquoise and red-gold highlights as it turned its serpentine neck toward Keth." 

Offline RobJN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Storybook Factory
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 05:36:26 PM »
In one particular piece I've been working on, the narrator "seems" all the time. He has to guess at what the others around him are thinking and feeling. Other times, he is describing something he has never seen before (or is unsure is genuinely real, darned pesky illusions...), and his terminology is peppered with uncertainty. Yet another case, he does not speak the language of one of the company's traveling companions, and must constantly guess what it is she says purely by judging her facial expression and body language.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 02:21:35 PM »
I'm only guessing here, but it may be another "show, don't tell" thing, as in:
"Roger seemed anxious."
"Roger figeted and drummed his fingers on the table."
Both convey basically the same message, but the second one uses actions to describe Roger's state of mind, and is therefore considered "stronger" writing.  I could be dead wrong, though--Meg?
(And I agree, if you need to convey a character's uncertainty, you need less-than-definite terminology to do so, so "seems" should be okay in that instance.)
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 07:01:44 PM »
I'm only guessing here, but it may be another "show, don't tell" thing, as in:
"Roger seemed anxious."
Both convey basically the same message, but the second one uses actions to describe Roger's state of mind, and is therefore considered "stronger" writing.  I could be dead wrong, though--Meg?
(And I agree, if you need to convey a character's uncertainty, you need less-than-definite terminology to do so, so "seems" should be okay in that instance.)
That's how I've heard it described--that it's usually more telling than anything.  Using "seemed" was mentioned in a Writing Excuses podcast, though I forget which one, and because of having recently listened to that, I'm a bit hyper-aware of using the word.  Except the couple times I've noticed it, it's in a way that I can't reword it and keep the same meaning using anything but seem.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 07:42:52 PM »
Precision of usage would eliminate that "weakness" of the word; Aminar is on the right track for that aspect. On the other hand, sometimes shorthanding a description advances the action more satisfactorily than "showing" would do.

There's a delicate balance in all of this; coming down firmly on one side would do a disservice to the process.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 11:26:20 PM »
Precision of usage would eliminate that "weakness" of the word; Aminar is on the right track for that aspect. On the other hand, sometimes shorthanding a description advances the action more satisfactorily than "showing" would do.

There's a delicate balance in all of this; coming down firmly on one side would do a disservice to the process.
Which pretty much goes back to you have to know the rules before you can break them.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 11:33:42 AM »
Which pretty much goes back to you have to know the rules before you can break them.

Bingo. The key to good writing.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 05:38:01 PM »
The only time I find myself using the word "seem" or its equivalent is when I'm in one character's POV, trying to describe (whether showing or telling) the actions of another character.

What's their motivation, why are the doing or saying  what they do?

The currently occupied chaarcter can't really know, but by observation of body language, tone of voice etc they can make an educated guess.

So, the other person my "seem to reconsider" or may "seem to be preoccupied by their recollections", because the POV'er can't really know for sure.

Is that what you mean, or is it something else entirely?
Yes, you've got my point and the example you use is great, because that is exactly the challenge of writing without the 'seem' modifier. It is especially difficult in this very situation.

I would think it should only be used when describing something the character isn't sure is there.

Take this bit from very early in my story.  A bit description heavy, but its meant to add a bit more suspense to the first encounter...
"A few moments later a five foot tall, twenty foot long, bipedal, feathered reptile clicked into view at the T-junction in the tunnels to Keth’s left.  Its black scales and feathers seemed to glimmer with hidden turquoise and red-gold highlights as it turned its serpentine neck toward Keth." 
This is an excellent choice to discuss, especially since it is in the beginning of your story where you are desperately wanting to grab that reader's attention. In your point of view, which is 3rd from a narrator's viewpoint, there isn't a seemed.  It either glimmers or it doesn't. The point of view might be wrong in the observation, but to the narrator it glimmers.  At least in my opinion, using 'seemed' steps your reader away from the action, whereas not using it places the reader in the narrator's shoes with more intimacy. Think of reporting the glimpse of a hummingbird's irridescent ruby throat and colors--it does glimmer. Yes, it doesn't in reality glimmer with its own energy, but from a practical standpoint--it does glimmer. I don't think you would say, "The hummingbird seems to glimmer." unless you were writing scientific non-fiction. In a short story, you would say, "It glimmered." And you would do this because you want the glimmer to mean something to the reader.

*sighing* because I know I'm not explaining this right... But to me as an editor, the difference in intimacy with the reader is worlds different and far more satisfying without the 'seem' modifier.
Dead on example Liz. Yet, I would argue that conveying a character's uncertainty is definitely not a place for 'seem' modifier.  Consider it a matter of trust in your reader and it doesn't have to be long. Look at Liz' example 8 words to replace 3. You gain invaluable engagement with the reader. You are asking the reader to step up to the plate and make the leap to the character's uncertainty.  The 'seem' modifer is a cheat in my humble opinion, while Liz' example is a writer earning his/her keep and doing it right.

I'm willing to bet that more than one agent does a simple word search for seem and if they find a lot? Reject letter.

Rob, I've read some of your work and, like Shecky said, rules are made to be broken. I trust your writing! In this case, the narrator is still making mental decisions. It might be effective to have those non-concrete contradictory assumptions rolling one off the other in rapid recession. I'd love that wild ride! Yes, it would drive me crazy, but also extremely sympathetic to the character, whereas too many of those seems for several pages would make me mad at the author?  Does that make sense? I'd consider it an honor to share that ride with the character, but irritating to be held off by the narrator. I mean the narrator is having to act and respond on what he thinks each statement is or action that happens.

*sigh* again, I'm not expressing this well. Let me just say, that I would absolutely love to read this work and get lost in translation hand in hand with the characters, but if it were several pages of 'seems' where I was observing instead, then I might walk away from it?

To be honest Rob, the seem would be okay, even good, but can you imagine the awesome impact on the reader the other way? Freaking award level maybe...

BUT it is the author's choice and rules are made to be broken. I kinda trust you on that Rob...  :-)
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline Gruud

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 06:09:26 PM »
... sometimes shorthanding a description advances the action more satisfactorily than "showing" would do.

And I think this is where I wil have to make my distinctions during the edit phase.

The work is fairly action oriented, especially in some spots, making me lean a bit more toward telling at those points so as to keep the action flowing.

But I will still need to make a conscious effort to search throughout for my usage of "seems" (and any synonyms) so I can do a better job of spotting the places where an "8 words for 3" swap would very much benefit the reader's experience.

Making the transition from a more omni type of style to one that's much more third person oriented has been something I've struggled with a bit, and one of the keys to helping me do that has been to try and be more cognizant of the limitations the current POV character has as it relates to what any other character can hear, smell, see, feel, etc.

So I've no doubt got "seems" and "appears" all over the place especially in the earlier chapters.  ;D

Offline RobJN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Storybook Factory
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 07:10:21 PM »

Rob, I've read some of your work and, like Shecky said, rules are made to be broken. I trust your writing! In this case, the narrator is still making mental decisions. It might be effective to have those non-concrete contradictory assumptions rolling one off the other in rapid recession. I'd love that wild ride! Yes, it would drive me crazy, but also extremely sympathetic to the character, whereas too many of those seems for several pages would make me mad at the author?  Does that make sense? I'd consider it an honor to share that ride with the character, but irritating to be held off by the narrator. I mean the narrator is having to act and respond on what he thinks each statement is or action that happens.

*sigh* again, I'm not expressing this well. Let me just say, that I would absolutely love to read this work and get lost in translation hand in hand with the characters, but if it were several pages of 'seems' where I was observing instead, then I might walk away from it?

To be honest Rob, the seem would be okay, even good, but can you imagine the awesome impact on the reader the other way? Freaking award level maybe...

BUT it is the author's choice and rules are made to be broken. I kinda trust you on that Rob...  :-)

Looking through the statistics for the manuscript, the narrator "seems" (seemed, seeming, etc) a lot more than I'd thought. About 254 times in what would be 568 paperback pages.  :o  The narrator, I think, needs to do more straight observing/reporting and leave the interpretation to the readers. There is definitely room for the "eight words for three" trick in a lot of places in the narrative, as well.

Having more than one character around to guess at the meaning(s) across the language barrier means we don't have to rely solely on the narrator's guesswork. Now that I've written that, I need to remember to use that device more often.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 07:23:47 PM »
This is an excellent choice to discuss, especially since it is in the beginning of your story where you are desperately wanting to grab that reader's attention. In your point of view, which is 3rd from a narrator's viewpoint, there isn't a seemed.  It either glimmers or it doesn't. The point of view might be wrong in the observation, but to the narrator it glimmers.  At least in my opinion, using 'seemed' steps your reader away from the action, whereas not using it places the reader in the narrator's shoes with more intimacy. Think of reporting the glimpse of a hummingbird's irridescent ruby throat and colors--it does glimmer. Yes, it doesn't in reality glimmer with its own energy, but from a practical standpoint--it does glimmer. I don't think you would say, "The hummingbird seems to glimmer." unless you were writing scientific non-fiction. In a short story, you would say, "It glimmered." And you would do this because you want the glimmer to mean something to the reader.

*sighing* because I know I'm not explaining this right... But to me as an editor, the difference in intimacy with the reader is worlds different and far more satisfying without the 'seem' modifier.
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm still a bit of a newbie at this writing shindig and love good advice.

Now, functionally the thing does glimmer.(Long story short, it's from another plane of existence intrinsically connected to dusk(sort of).)  The seems is supposed to convey the evanescent nature of that glimmer, but I can't find words to describe that concretely without awkward narration and adding even more description where I feel I'm at the cap of how much I can describe the thing without cutting away interest too much... 

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 10:36:59 PM »
Sometimes Aminar you have to slop it down on the page. It's first draft anyway, right? You'll use the info later maybe, and you might find a miracle way of describing it as you slog through the details.  I'm sure that there are writers who don't have to do that; I not one of them... :-)