Author Topic: City Creation/Sourcebook?  (Read 1312 times)

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
City Creation/Sourcebook?
« on: December 04, 2011, 07:10:07 PM »
I'm working on building game data for my hometown and am going to assemble a binder for it. I can break it up to 10 sections and wanted suggestions on HOW to break it up.

Obviously the first section would be "History and Background" which would include the status quo. There would be a sections for "Locations" & "NPCs".

What else can I do with it?
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: City Creation/Sourcebook?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 09:47:17 PM »
Themes, threats, mundane, supernatural, conspiracies, organizations, services, etc.  What's most important to you and your game?
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 04:51:51 AM »
Aspect interpretation guide, with a possible separate section for those of the PCs.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 04:46:58 PM »
Pictures and visual aids, for both the city itself and any "cast members" you plan on using a lot.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 04:44:17 PM »
Take a look at the Baltimore write-up, and the City-Building sheet from the back of Your Story.

Stuff I'd include:

1)Town's Mortal Overview- (setting, general history, major events, etc.)
2)History:  (describe the past supernatural activity if any)
3)Present Day:  Mortal & Supernatural stuff nowadays (include factions, context to the books (is the Vampire War going on?  post-Changes?  Paranet?  Period piece?)
4)Dramatis Personae:  Write up as many NPCs as you deem necessary.  Include Aspects.  Maybe include "photos".
5)PC write-ups:  Optional section, but recommended.  Write up 1.5-2x as many PCs as you think you'll need to give your players choices, and build them for your city.  Your players COULD use them, or make their own.
6)Mundane Locations:  Write up as many locations as appropriate.  Include aspects, and PHOTOS if possible.
7)Supernatural Locations:  See 5.
8)Probable Events- Give the GM some likely things to happen in this town, in order to get the game going (ie plot hooks).  For example, an alderman is killed by a vampire.  A Warden is passing though.  Etc.
9)Mods, GM notes (any modifications you've made to DFRPG for this game.  For example, I'm playing a game where "Chest Deep" has 31 skills points rather than 30, but at least one must be put in a new skill, Chess.)  Also, the GM should leave his notes in here- leave some blank paper.
10)Sample Adventure (give a scenario, and how PCs might act in them- see the casefiles released for what I mean.)

Disclaimer:  This is DIFFERENT from a plot-driven campaign.  For example, the games I run are typically hyper-extended "one-shots" with a specific goal in mind.  A writeup of this kind should have a much longer combined Probable Events/Sample Adventure section.