Author Topic: The "Urban Fantasy" Category  (Read 4452 times)

Offline mdodd

• Seriously?
  • OH, IT'S HIM. @paceace1094
    • View Profile
Re: The "Urban Fantasy" Category
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 07:52:07 PM »
Lol, no I was talking about one of those old Crossgen Comics they had briefly.  But that Kevin Sorbo thing sounds fantastically terrible, ill have to track it down   :D
Its called Paradox. You must have seen it because your review is perfect. ::) ::)
One year's forum service, nearly two
--------------------------------------------------------
“And the people next door oppress me all night long. I tell them, I work all day, a man's got to have some time to learn to play the tuba. ― Terry Pratchett.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 01:39:50 AM »
I have most of the old Cross-Gen comics but I don't remember that one. How many issues did it go?
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 06:28:58 PM »
I have most of the old Cross-Gen comics but I don't remember that one. How many issues did it go?
It was the Mystic title, it was one of the first, lasted the whole run as far as I know.  Its supposed to be part of the Crossgen relaunch by Marvel, but it will be more classic steam-punk with a llittle magic, from what I hear
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 10:55:08 PM »
Of course. I have the entire run of Mystic but for some reason I didn't recognise it from the description. Maybe because my memory involved shapely women instead of gruff men in trench coats. Probably just because I am losing my mind. I thought the movie Paradox was corny and I don't particularly like Sorbo as an actor but somehow I enjoyed the movie in spite of both these things. I didn't realize that it was supposed to be based off the Mystic world.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline mdodd

• Seriously?
  • OH, IT'S HIM. @paceace1094
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 09:57:43 AM »
What caught my attention originally was that his costume looked as if it had come from the front cover or a DV novel but the wardrobe dude didn't realist that Harry doesn't wear a hat. Sorbo's acting is of the Pinnochio variety. I suppose that compared to the usual SciFi channel afternoon fare (Moby Dick with modern warheads, Journey to the Centre of the Earth, with an all girl Army Division (that was funny, script and acting talent). I didn't even bother with 20000 leagues under the sea. It seems like somebody at Scifi seems to want to brainwash us into thinking that the classic books we read as children didn't happen, like Olivia in the last episode of Fringe. I was going to say thank God they haven't got hold of H G Wells but I've seen some dodgy versions of War of the Worlds. I know these novels were contemporary when they were written but they are steampunk now and should stay that way.
One year's forum service, nearly two
--------------------------------------------------------
“And the people next door oppress me all night long. I tell them, I work all day, a man's got to have some time to learn to play the tuba. ― Terry Pratchett.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 02:42:05 PM »
Of course. I have the entire run of Mystic but for some reason I didn't recognise it from the description. Maybe because my memory involved shapely women instead of gruff men in trench coats. Probably just because I am losing my mind. I thought the movie Paradox was corny and I don't particularly like Sorbo as an actor but somehow I enjoyed the movie in spite of both these things. I didn't realize that it was supposed to be based off the Mystic world.
Pretty much it starred a shapely socialite (thrust into magic politics) that went through a succession of men in trench coats, often in places that looked like 50's jazz bars with sprites serving the drinks.  Dont think it was actually related to the Sorbo thing as far as I know, just similar appearing. The new mystic is apparently supposed to change her to an orphan getting by on steampunk streets that manages to learn some magic, which belongs to the aristocracy.  Supposed to be more urbanly dark and grungy

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 08:36:48 PM »
I don't trust Marvel to do a better job than CrossGen did. CrossGen IMHO had some of the best writing and the best art I've seen in some time. It was what got me back into comic books after getting sick of DC and Marvel's endless soap operas and retconning and ignoring them for over 20 years. Unfortunately CrossGen did not, apparently, have a good business model and went under. I started slowly backing out of comic books again and now I probably don't read more than 2 or 3  year. I do still have way too many long boxes collecting dust.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 10:21:58 PM »
I don't trust Marvel to do a better job than CrossGen did. CrossGen IMHO had some of the best writing and the best art I've seen in some time. It was what got me back into comic books after getting sick of DC and Marvel's endless soap operas and retconning and ignoring them for over 20 years. Unfortunately CrossGen did not, apparently, have a good business model and went under. I started slowly backing out of comic books again and now I probably don't read more than 2 or 3  year. I do still have way too many long boxes collecting dust.
It supposed to have writing by G. Willow Wilson, and Art by David Lopez, but Im not familiar with either.  Mostly Im curious if they are going to keep them as part of the same shared Sigilverse, or make them more stand-alone somehow, which would be disappointing. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/