Author Topic: High speed crashes  (Read 3156 times)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: High speed crashes
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 04:42:21 AM »
Given that a weapon:5 attack is substantially more deadly than a fragmentation grenade, I really don't think that making collisions significantly more deadly would contribute to their consistency with the rest of the system.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 06:22:52 AM »
mmm... you might have a point. That said- Weapon:5 still seems a bit light for a 2+ ton truck at 60mph, even if it is comparable to a frag grenade (yes, yes, a normal person is pudding either way- but we have to worry about a lot more than normal people in this system, so degrees of pudding matter). Maybe solvable with something more along the lines of aspects... the frag grenade affects a whole zone, the mack truck gets a "Squish" aspect or summat.
Now, a regular car hitting someone at 60mph... that I could agree with for Weapon:5, using the frag as a benchmark for comparison.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 06:47:29 AM »
A frag grenade is weapon:4.  It can easily shred handfuls of normal humans (aka 'mooks' without the plot armour of Consequences), even those wearing modest armour.  Weapon:5 is substantially more deadly than even that, and might be something of a stretch for a 'regular car' at anything short of absurd speeds.  This is the territory of anti-material rifles, 'claymore' mines, and shaped charges.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 08:32:59 AM »
Whereas I can't get over the raw amount of energy involved. I'm a physicist, and regardless of anything else- my brain stops working once I've done the math on a ton of steel moving at 60 mph.
Would you rather get hit by a ping-pong ball moving at the speed of sound, or a 8lb bowling ball moving at 21mph?
Unless you have a preference in bruise sizes (best case scenario) or between broken bones and holes (worst case), it really doesn't matter.
Speed matters a lot more than mass, but mass still does the trick just fine.