Author Topic: A few questions on thresholds and Incite Emotion for blocks  (Read 10402 times)

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions on thresholds and Incite Emotion for blocks
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2012, 04:11:13 PM »
Yeah, and I agree. I just think that it's important to note that renfields have a soul and would create a threshold if they were capable of the behavior that would bolster a threshold. That's why I suggested that we were arguing semantics. I might give a renfield lair a threshold of 0.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2012, 06:27:36 PM »
Sounds like a pretty weak power. Vulnerability to thresholds is almost optional.
I agree "Pox on both your Houses" would be a weak power, but effectively no weaker than Bless this House itself...
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2012, 08:10:06 PM »
I agree "Pox on both your Houses" would be a weak power, but effectively no weaker than Bless this House itself...

Given the narrative structure of thresholds, you should be able to get the same result from a sticky maneuver against the threshold itself, temporarily weakening it due to having the aspect 'Cursed Residence' or some such.

Hmm, that actually brings to mind using magic to setup aspects to strengthen a threshold, as opposed to 'just' hooking wards off of it.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2012, 08:15:05 PM »

I've been looking at powers, and how they work lately. It occurs to me that both powers could be improved by adding another 2 shift effect (usually powers have two 2-shift effects per refresh spent). I have no idea what those would be, but knowing what you need is somewhere to start.

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2012, 08:22:09 PM »
I've been looking at powers, and how they work lately. It occurs to me that both powers could be improved by adding another 2 shift effect (usually powers have two 2-shift effects per refresh spent). I have no idea what those would be, but knowing what you need is somewhere to start.

What about a free tag of 'Holy Water' aspect when touching water, once per scene?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2012, 08:39:49 PM »
I never really liked the idea of a free tag as a power effect, because it's single use, whereas the usual benefit can be used many times per scene.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2012, 05:13:45 AM »
I'm not a big fan of tag-creating powers either. They trespass on the territory of Aspects, and they're a pain in the neck to balance.

PS: Powers scale exponentially, and you can get shifts from them cheaper if they're arranged suboptimally. Mythic Strength is like 30+ stunts. Meanwhile, most 1 Refresh powers are like 1 or 2 stunts.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2012, 07:47:50 PM »
Posted my attempt at an Anti-Bless-This-House power over at the Custom Powers thread:
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,25794.msg1375822.html#msg1375822

It needs some help...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:51:10 PM by computerking »
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.