Author Topic: Catches that repel but do not harm?  (Read 1403 times)

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Catches that repel but do not harm?
« on: November 08, 2011, 04:37:58 AM »
I may be missing something obvious here, but what's a good way to model a catch like the ghosts on Supernatural?  If you blast them with rock salt or swing iron through them they dissipate temporarily (it seems for longer periods of time for younger or weaker spirits) but the salt/iron doesn't actually hurt them at all.

I don't see it as a Compel; after all, ghosts on the show cannot "refuse" dissipation when struck with salt or iron.  It always works.  You just can't "kill" a ghost with these methods (that Catch is salting and burning their physical remains).

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Catches that repel but do not harm?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 05:11:31 AM »
Maybe ghosts have no FP. I wouldn't expect positive refresh from them, you know?

Or maybe refusing the salt compel means that the salt doesn't touch you, not that you resist it.

Regardless, it sure sounds like a compel to me.

Offline Dravokian

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 05:15:37 AM »
you might want to go with a form of physical immunity... instead of toughness so it doesn't cause damage and the catch causes it to dissipate for a period of time... number of exchanges = to stress... or something similar.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 06:53:11 AM »
I'm also on the compel bandwagon here.  The GM has control of whether or not monsters and NPCs accept compels anyway.

Offline TheBiggs

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 10:35:29 AM »
Well, maybe they do take stress, and the consequences are then compelled to make it disappear. The more severe the consequence, the more time it takes for them to reappear.
It's just that within the scope of the conflict, even if you take them out with salt, they won't have been killed.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 04:44:14 PM »
In Dresden, ghosts have the capacity to just go away back into their Demesne, whether they are Taken Out or not, so the salt could be (as many others have suggested) a Compel to simply go away, if the net result is only giving the heroes an exchange or two of breathing room. Anything longer than that, however, and I feel the Catch would need to have been used as a component in an attack that forced a Concession, or resulted in a Take Out.

My breakdown would be:
Ghost disappears for 1 exchange: Compel the Ghost's vulnerability
Ghost disappears for 2 exchanges: Compel + Fate Point
Ghost disappears for long enough that combat is effectively over: Ghost has Conceded the Conflict to avoid being Taken Out
Ghost gone forever (or as long as it will ever be gone): Ghost has been Taken Out
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 06:10:56 PM »
  If you blast them with rock salt or swing iron through them they dissipate temporarily ...   You just can't "kill" a ghost with these methods (that Catch is salting and burning their physical remains).
It looks like a Compel based on the "Repulsion" part of a Catch. Since Salting/Burning the bones is the Catch, Rock Salt shot would cause the ghost discomfort, even though it's not used in the right way.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.