Author Topic: Writing on a Topic or Profession You Don't Know Much About  (Read 2537 times)

Offline Tech L. Me

• Conversationalist
  • Medicated and Motivated!
    • View Profile
    • [Insert Properly Pithy/Thoughtful Title Here]
I've been toying with the idea of writing a fantasy where my main character is a member of the U.S. Coastguard (a rescue swimmer to be precise). The only problem is, the only knowledge of the USCG that I have is gleaned about them is from the Costner/Kutcher movie The Guardian, and a couple of pamphlets regarding uniform regulations that were posted on the web.

So, how would I go about finding more information? Contacting a member would be awkward, considering that this idea may not come to fruitation, and I am having problems finding books on the subject. Any ideas?

Thanks.  :)
If a doctor writes a prescription in the forest and there is no one around to read it, is it still illegible?

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
Re: Writing on a Topic or Profession You Don't Know Much About
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 12:28:51 PM »
Oh, don't let it be awkward!  You could have such a fantastic time.  I'd say call the nearest Coast Guard post, let them know what you're doing, and see who they recommend you speak with.  Most branches of the armed service have a media relations department.  They may even let you ride in a chopper or observe a training session... Think of the fun!

Be bold.  That's the kind of confidence that can only help when it comes time to publish and market your book, after all!  Good luck, and keep us posted. Take pictures! :D
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 02:36:57 PM »
Yeah, just give them a call.  I did the same thing with the local PD, and they were very helpful.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline The Dread Pharaoh Roberts

• Posty McPostington
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Family friendly tees, mugs, posters, etc...
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 06:27:56 PM »
Do a bit of looking around at www.uscg.mil - the official Coast Guard website.  There should be a public affairs officer at the nearest Coast Guard installation who'll be able to assist you as well.
Your Pharaoh Has Spoken...

Online portfolio: http://samurphy0320.deviantart.com/

Offline Josh

• Participant
  • Scriptor dementis
    • View Profile
    • Through a glass, darkly
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 02:01:33 PM »
Tell whoever you get in touch with that you'll acknowledge them in your book. Who wouldn't enjoy passing on some technical info for the chance to be mentioned in a novel on the bookshelves? And then send them some free copies once it gets published. :)
JRVogt.com
The Fiction Writer's Virtual Toolbox - 150+ links to tools and resources for writers
Follow on Twitter @JRVogt