Author Topic: DFRPG Demo adventure Midwinter Art  (Read 2582 times)

Offline lankyogre

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
DFRPG Demo adventure Midwinter Art
« on: October 30, 2011, 03:35:21 AM »
I'm running a few DresdenFiles adventures for an RPG demo day and so I thought I'd try to write an additional one up myself. I'm just throwing out the general scope now. I'll format it a little nicer as I have it done.

The setting will be a small art college at least an hour away from any sizable city. I won't map it out specifically, but let the players make declarations and what not for anything reasonable.
I have 6 demo characters created. I'm leaving three aspects blank and the fair and average skills for the players to write in.

The idea is a girl got the inspiration and talent to get into the art college from a Sidhe of the Winter Court, and in repayment has to bring girls to the Sidhe for him to “drain” their inspiration. The Sidhe in question is one of the original nine muses (haven't decided which yet.) that has lost a great deal of his power through a combination of factors. Primarily, being forgotten and trivialized and being remembered as female instead of male. Since he has lost the ability to actually inspire new work, he is trying to feed off of the inspiration and talent of mortal artists and gift that ability to artists who worship/recognize him.

The players are a group that are all involved with the art college and are all a little “weird.” They have decided its interesting to solve problems on their free time, and occasionally those problems have a supernatural bent.

Act I
The group is hanging out together on a Saturday night. A distraught boyfriend arrives asking the party to look for his girlfriend. They were supposed to have dinner Friday night and she never appeared and he hasn't heard from her yet today. Sheriff won't do anything yet because it hasn't been long enough, and its a three day weekend for the school anyway. The sheriff figures they are college kids and the relationship isn't that serious anyway, she probably went to visit family or something. This gives the players time to look into things a little over the weekend. Maybe ask a few questions, do some investigation.

Act II
Tuesday morning the girlfriend shows up in class, that she has with the boyfriend and/or a party member. She can't really remember anything from the weekend and she doesn't really have any “inspiration” for class. The party has the week to look into things. Do investigation. Five other girls have been involved and one has dropped out of school. About half-way through the week the sidhe will send his ogre bodyguard to rough-up a few of the PCs and discourage them from their investigation.  A few of the girls also have an ex-boyfriend in common. A not so talented artist who becomes extremely possessive of the girls he dates. Finally, the school doesn't accept many students at semester, it just isn't that large. One of the few transfers is a girl in all of the missing girls' classes.

Act III
In some way the players try to confront the girl and find out about the Sidhe, or go straight for the area the disappearances have been happening and encounter the Sidhe and his “court.” The final brawl will include the sidhe, relatively generic sidhe abilities with inspire emotion, feeding dependency, and drain emotion, and a few low-power fae hangers on. Satyrs and dryads, using goblin and possibly nixie as templates.

Offline lankyogre

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: DFRPG Demo adventure Midwinter Art
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 03:36:21 AM »
Alex Thomas

High Concept: Artistic Pyromancer
Trouble: I fell into a burning ring of fire
Aspect: The truth hurts; My house, My rules

Skills:
Great – Conviction
Good – Discipline, Lore
Fair - Performance, Endurance, Fists

Stress
Physical OOO
Mental OOOO
Social OO

Stunts:
Burning Copper: +2 to Performance rolls when able to include magic

Powers:
Channeling (Fire)
-Rote: Pyrotechnics- 4 shifts Aspect Distracted vs discipline
-Rote: Torch - Weapon 4 vs athletics
Focus Item: Zippo - +1 Offensive Control, +1 Defensive Control
Lawbreaker (First)
Refinement: Enchanted Item: Burned Copper Ring 5 Shift Block 3/scene

Final Refresh 1

As his powers came up, he thought magic could solve all of his problems, and he'd still like to think that way. Before college, he killed a man with magic in self defense, but now he's afraid he might do it again.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 02:53:22 AM by lankyogre »

Offline lankyogre

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 03:38:35 AM »
Aaron Carter

High Concept: Campus Security Guard
Trouble: I'm just a kid myself, how am I gonna raise one?
Aspect: Home town hero; Smarter than your average bear

Skills:
Great – Guns
Good – Empathy, Intimidation
Fair - Presence, Discipline, Driving

Stress:
Physical OO
Mental OO
Social OOO

Stunts:
Read the Surface
Won't get Fooled again
Calm Blue Ocean
Been Shot - You've been shot, and you make sure it won't happen again. May use guns to dodge Guns attacks.

Powers:
Pure Mortal +2

Final Refresh 4

In high school he married had a child with his high school sweetheart and married her. While he is easily smart enough and talented enough to go away to college, he has to stay where he grew up to support his family. He loves hunting.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 02:59:14 AM by lankyogre »

Offline lankyogre

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 03:39:24 AM »
Lauren Turbec

High Concept: Guardian of the Trail
Trouble: To serve and protect
Aspect: Look what Uncle Steve sent; Shoulda been a Cowboy

Skills:
Great – Endurance
Good – Fists, Resources
Fair - Discipline, Performance, Rapport

Stress:
Physical OOOOOO
Mental OO
Social OO

Stunts:
Sculptor - +2 performance rolls when creating 3-dimensional art.

Powers:
Item of Power (+2)
Claws (-1)
Inhuman Toughness (-2)
The Catch (Fire) (+1)
Physical Immunity (Cold) (-8)
Stacked Catch (Not Cold) (+5)

Final Refresh 2

From a rich family, he has an eccentric uncle that sends him lots of odd “presents.” One of them was a bear skin cloak with claws and the head. When he put it on, he found out there was a spirit inside that offered to give him powers if he would protect travelers.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:01:00 AM by lankyogre »

Offline lankyogre

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 03:40:00 AM »
Jordan Nicholson

High Concept: High Flying Photogropher
Trouble: Be careful what you wish for
Aspect: Bags packed and one wing out the door; I can only trust myself

Skills:
Great – Performance
Good – Lore, Stealth
Fair - Athletics, Discipline, Fists

Stress
Physical OO
Mental OO
Social OO

Stunts:
Photographer: May use performance instead of investigation when able to take pictures.

Powers:
Human Guise (+0)
Wings (-1)
Inhuman Speed (-2)

Final Refresh 2

Her mom was a hippie with some magic power and early in her life “Wings” wished for wings. He mother tattooed wings across her back and now she can fly.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:00:13 AM by lankyogre »

Offline lankyogre

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 03:40:44 AM »
Riley McPhearson

High Concept: Red Court Infected Jock
Trouble: Just one drink
Aspect: Real bad boy, but a real good man; All my friends say.

Skills:
Great – Athletics
Good – Weapons, Discipline
Fair - Alertness, Contacts, Performance

Stress
Physical OO
Mental OO
Social OO

Powers:
Addictive Saliva (-1)
Blood Drinker (-1)
Feeding Dependency (+1)
Inhuman Speed (-2)
Inhuman Strength (-2)

Final Refresh 1

Minor artistic ability, but admitted on a sports scholarship. Went to a party with the wrong people and got bit. Still trying to be a “jock,” but if he ever gets too drunk at a party, or gets too involved with the team or a frat his secret might come out. Or he might turn all the way.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:01:39 AM by lankyogre »

Offline lankyogre

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 03:41:29 AM »
Cameron Winters

High Concept: “Psychic” Detective
Trouble: Prove it
Aspect: Everybody is a Critic, I'm just right; Eidetic Memory

Skills:
Great – Investigation
Good – Empathy, Deceit
Fair - Discipline, Presence, Scholarship

Stress:
Physical OO
Mental OO
Social OOO

Stunts:
Quick Eye
Scene of the Crime
Honest Lies
Corner of my eye
Critic: When using Scholarship for information regarding art gain a +2, specifically paintings +3

Powers:
Pure mortal +2

Final Refresh 3

I like Psych. Think Sean Spencer. Really good at noticing things and putting clues together. Plays it off as being “psychic,” because its actually easier than explaining that its just training
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:01:51 AM by lankyogre »

Offline spac3_pop3

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 08:24:04 AM »
Sounds like a really awesome one-shot to me.  Couple of things...

1. Having the Act II take place over the course of a week might be a bit long, especially if the Sidhe Muse is feeding on a regular basis. Maybe shorten it to a couple of days?

2. It's an arts college, right?  Why would the RCI Jock be admitted on a sports scholarship?  Maybe he goes to another college close by and likes to come around and hit on the artsy girls.

3. The Campus security guard has Guns at Great?  Didn't think they allowed firearms on campus grounds, though different campuses have different rules.  Maybe give him Weapons instead and have him carry a collapsible baton?  Would make an excellent weapon against the Fae, and be a great way to explain Catches to your audience.

4. I notice that of the 4 pre-gen characters that attend the school (Pyromancer, Wings, IoP Guardian, RCI Jock) only the Pyromancer has an "arts" related skill.  Maybe give them all a skill at Fair to constitute their acceptance into the college?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 08:36:45 AM by spac3_pop3 »

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 01:48:03 PM »
Sounds like a really awesome one-shot to me.  Couple of things...

1. Having the Act II take place over the course of a week might be a bit long, especially if the Sidhe Muse is feeding on a regular basis. Maybe shorten it to a couple of days?

2. It's an arts college, right?  Why would the RCI Jock be admitted on a sports scholarship?  Maybe he goes to another college close by and likes to come around and hit on the artsy girls.

3. The Campus security guard has Guns at Great?  Didn't think they allowed firearms on campus grounds, though different campuses have different rules.  Maybe give him Weapons instead and have him carry a collapsible baton?  Would make an excellent weapon against the Fae, and be a great way to explain Catches to your audience.

4. I notice that of the 4 pre-gen characters that attend the school (Pyromancer, Wings, IoP Guardian, RCI Jock) only the Pyromancer has an "arts" related skill.  Maybe give them all a skill at Fair to constitute their acceptance into the college?

It depends on the school as well as the state, but some campus security have police powers while on school property and are armed with firearms.

In CT for instance, the private schools Yale University and Fairfield University have firearms, though in practice any incident occurring on their respective campuses will have a joint local-university law enforcement response.

The state school the University of Connecticut (UCONN) Police Department is also armed, but they are also state employees being a state school, and they appear to be fitted out similar to Connecticut State Troopers.

It is also worth noting that in some areas, local law enforcement will call upon campus police for mutual aid if a significant incident occurs off campus.  If memory serves, this has occurred in Houston TX during a bank robbery, where UT Houston Police responded to a bank robbery in progress after a call was put out by Houston PD requesting assistance.

Also, is the school is really just an art school, or if it's more of a liberal arts college with a sports program (to explain the jock and non-artistic characters), or if the town hosting the art school also has another college as well... 

What might be a good idea is once you've finished laying out the ideas behind the story, is to then type up the story including the main opposition, and then convert the document into a PDF, there are free converters like PrimoPDF which can do that for you.  Once thats done, host the document and post a link to the location.

Speaking of which, should we perhaps request a thread in the Resource Collection category for people to put up links or write-ups of encounters and scenarios?

-Cheers
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 09:12:56 PM »
Not a bad idea.

Now, what would be on it...

This, obviously.
Plus the three casefiles from Evil Hat.
And the results of that one-page story contest.

Anything else?

As for the actual thread topic, is the possessive ex-boyfriend supposed to be relevant here? Could a player Declare that he's the bad guy?

Offline lankyogre

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 10:12:54 PM »
@spac3_pop3
1. I was thinking that over the years the muse has become disciplined enough to space his feeding out. If the girls keep going missing on Friday, but are back in class by Monday, people are much less likely to ask questions. I was also thinking that it would give me the option of having a few of his powers gone at the beginning of the final showdown, and he can feed off the players to restore abilities if the fight starts too easy.

2. I guess I was thinking Liberal Arts school with a strong Art program. Maybe his parents really want him to be an artist, but he'd rather play sports so this is the compromise? I'm trying to set up the characters and let the players at the table fine tune them as much as possible.

3. I was thinking the security guard spends a lot of time hunting, and usually just keeps a gun in a gun rack in his truck. The school hasn't said anything yet, because he is local and they really haven't noticed. It also adds a ranged element to the group, beyond magic.

4. Actually, the Pyromancer is the only one right now with a stunt or skill in art, and one of two with an aspect. I've gone back and added a few skills and stunts, see what you think.

@Todjaeger
Hadn't really heard that specifically. Thanks for the info. I'm thinking its not so much school issued as just usually in his truck. It could be a problem (and might be if it was a continuing campaign.)
Hosting the PDF was eventually my plan. I'd just like a little help before then.

@Sanctaphrax
I was thinking the ex-boyfriend would be mostly a red herring. Depending on how the players respond though, he might end up being the bad guy.

I'm thinking the Muse will have inspire emotion (INSPIRATION), feeding dependency, emotional vampire, maybe supernatural toughness and strength and glamour?
An ogre has a heavy hitter bodyguard.
4 or 5 smaller fae, maybe use goblin stats with inspire emotion and call them satyrs?
I want there to be a decent brawl in which the pyro can use his abilities, but I don't want to overwhelm the players.

Any comments on powers, stunts, aspects. I still need to create rotes and items for the pyro as well.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 10:33:06 PM by lankyogre »

Offline spac3_pop3

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 06:12:20 AM »
Well, with the Sidhe and Ogre, that might be plenty to challenge them all in a fight.  All the iron the group will be carrying will mean they won't be pulling punches.  Maybe put them up against the Satyrs first, followed by a brief rest period, then the Muse and his bodyguard?  I wouldn't give the characters so many stunts, maybe 1 or 2 and let the players pick others as needed through the story.  Maybe give the Pyro a rote Maneuver that looks like fireworks? (Thinking like Jubilee or Dazzler from X-Men)  Something he uses during his art because it's dazzling and believable, but spray it in someone's face and give them the aspect "Blinded".  Maybe make a fire whip as an Enchanted Item that he can twirl and flair around?  I would definitely see him changing the color of his fire every time he uses it, which a creative player could turn into an aspect like "Distracting" for combat or "Eye-catching" for his art.

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 09:53:42 AM »
I think it would be really frustrating for most of the players when they get hit with incite emotion, and almost none of them have the discipline skill to defend against it.  Also, I see a lot of the characters missing things like basic physical defenses.

Next, I'd try to figure out what 'skill sets' each character is supposed to cover, and then make sure there is a place for them to shine in the story; also any single character can't be 'required' for the story to progress.

So, what sorts of skill sets does our party probably need for this adventure?
1 Everyone needs to be able to have some resistance to incite emotion.

Combat
Social
Lore
mundane investigation

I'd change the characters as follows:
------------------------

Pyromancer

Assuming he has a offensive control focus and a defensive control focus, he's fine. He can throw out control 4, power 4 attacks and power 4 defenses; of course, he'll quickly run out of stress, using evocation for both offense and defense, but as long as you point it out to the player,, it should be fine.

-----------------

Security Guard

At first glance, looks like a combat character, but isn't.  With no physical defense, he'll be toast the first time someone takes a shot at him.

Also surprisingly effective as a social character.

Change Hunter to a defensive stunt that lets him use guns to defend against ranged attacks?
Possibly replace one of the other stunts with Calm Blue Ocean to give some defense against incite emotion?

------------------------------

Item of Power Guardian

Another combat character, but doesn't really fit well into a secondary specialization

How about losing immunity to cold to make him a shape shifter, which would allow him to fill another skillset?  Then you'd also be able to fit the disciple skill (but only in human form).  So the character would have the option of staying human and resisting incite emotion, or hulking out and hoping to kill them before the whammy set in.

Something like:

1   Item of Power (source of power is not obvious, so only a +1 here)
1   Human form
-1   echo of the beast
-1   beast change
-2   toughness
1   catch
-1   claws
-1   supernatural sense? (Or some other minor power instead)

-----------------------------

Wings

Finally, a character not really capable in combat, but not great at covering investigation and sneaking either.

Change to
Great – Performance
Good – Lore, Stealth
Fair - Athletics

Which still allows for +3 physical defense due to inhuman speed, but really bumps in investigative ability.  Another possibility is to add human form and diminutive size to play up sneakyness.

-----------------------------

Red Court Infected Jock

Really need the discipline skill to keep from flipping out and killing people, iirc.

Maybe:

Great – Discipline
Good – Weapons, Athletics
Fair - Alertness

Instead?

Has 'hidden' ability to resist incite emotion attack, but not sure how to add non-combat 2nd ability to this character.

----------------------------

“Psychic” Detective

Neat idea, but think he really loses out, in that he's paste in both physical combat and vs. incite emotion.

Anyone else have any ideas?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 09:57:48 AM by crusher_bob »

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 06:12:07 PM »
If you're running this as a demo for people who may or may not know the game then your aspects need to be clear in their use or at least are something people can easily latch on to. Things like "Moss grows slow on a rolling stone" and "Everybody's a critic" are alliterative and great, but don't have many immediate uses and might trip some people up.

Also I would consider giving Wings an aspect relating to her mother, given that her supernatural knowledge is one of her best non-combat features.

On a weird and tangential note, I have a friend who went to art school for Photo/new media, has wings tattooed on their back and has a hippie mother.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 06:25:50 PM by sinker »

Offline lankyogre

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 03:13:42 AM »
What do the characters look like now? I decided to just leave the average and one fair up for the players at the table. I'm pretty sure players will pick alertness, conviction, endurance, and/or presence because of the mechanical benefits, but we'll wait and see. In regards to the Item of Power Guardian, I have two thoughts. First, I leave him like he is and give the muse unseelie magic with a focus in cold spells. Play up the muse as a magic user more in the final battle. The second option is, I give him a 1 point power "Immune to normal cold" and add beastform and hulking size, and have the muse try to use inhuman strength and incite emotion more. The unseelie magic gives me a chance to play with magic and show the players some of the options if they haven't been thinking of them with the Pyro. It also gives the IoP a chance to shine if he is included.

For the Muse I'm thinking

Erato
High Concept: Pissed off Male Muse
Trouble: Nobody remembers ME!
Other Aspects: Son of Zeus, I'm a Man Damnit!,
Skills:
Athletics Good
Deceit Fair
Endurance Fair
Fists Fair
Intimidation Good
Performance Great
Presence Great
Rapport Good

Powers
Glamours
Incite Emotion: Lasting (Inspiration)
Emotional Vampire
Feeding Dependency
Inhuman Strength
Inhuman Recovery
The Catch

For inspiration feeding, I think I will either compel the players or force discipline checks to think of "new ideas" during the conflict if he has fed off them.

Because the muses are usually associated with Apollo, I'm thinking of a herd of Fae horses guarding the gates. Hulking Size, Inhuman Toughness, Claws (use Korrick as a base but subtract the glamours and social aspects).

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 12:33:44 PM by lankyogre »