Author Topic: Stuck on fleshing a character out  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Magickal_Grenadier

• Participant
  • Oh, what fresh hell is this?
    • View Profile
Stuck on fleshing a character out
« on: October 29, 2011, 03:37:54 AM »
So I'm working on an NPC that is a Scion of Minerva (Roman Goddess of Wisdom) and I'm trying to figure out what kind of equipment and such to give him. I know I need Marked by Power and Sponsored Magic but I'm at a loss as to what else to give him. Damn you writer's block!!
My Dresden Files purity rating is 43%

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together

Online Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck on fleshing a character out
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 04:06:47 AM »
Maybe some other spellcasting stuff or an IoP. Perhaps some mental powers too. I wrote up a Mental Library power that might be handy if you want to focus on Lore/Scholarship.

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 04:15:15 AM »
Maybe some other spellcasting stuff or an IoP. Perhaps some mental powers too. I wrote up a Mental Library power that might be handy if you want to focus on Lore/Scholarship.

That could be of immeasurable help. considering his Sponsor, I hadn't envisioned him as much of a fighter.

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 04:20:40 AM »
Since she's also a goddess of magic, I'd stat him out as sponsored covering the full range of evo/thaum as well as Divination at Evocation speed.  Possibly casting skills of his own too.  Maybe Physical Immunity or Toughness vs Mortal Magic.  A clockwork owl like IoP Perseus had.  Any faith based power would be easy to justify.

Really, this character just screams Custom Powers Time though.  You can get away with a lot being godlet.  Healing powers wouldn't be out of the question with mommy being the goddess of medicine.  A resources based power since she was the goddess of commerce.  Eating someone's spell and taking the shifts as mental healing once per scene.

Might add on some toughness/speed/strength/recovery powers just on general spawn of a goddess principles if you run out of anything else that sounds good.

And remember, she's the goddess of crafts, so plenty of nifty gadgets around the old lair could be fun too.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Online Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 04:24:36 AM »
MENTAL LIBRARY [-2]
Description: Your knowledge is so extensive that you have no need for printed libraries. This power can represent a perfect memory, a computer in your head, knowledge of everything ever written down, or a number of other things.
Skills Affected: Lore, Scholarship, possibly others
Effects:
Mental Library. Your memories constitute a library on every subject that you are familiar with. The rating of the library on a given subject is equal to the skill that is used for knowledge of that subject. You may access this library freely, and other characters may use it by questioning you in detail.
Inexplicable Knowledge. You are no longer bound by the normal human limits on knowledge. You may make assessments and declarations concerning things that you cannot observe directly, either looking back through your memories to examine the thing again or perceiving that thing in mysterious and incomprehensible ways. Players should work together with the GM to work out the exact limits of this power.
Improved Mental Library [-1]. Increase the rating of each of your mental libraries by two.
Instant Recall [-1]. All research using your mental library is two time increments faster.

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 04:33:22 AM »
Thanks for all this. You're all being a REALLY big help

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 08:50:55 PM »
Settimo Figilo
High Concept: Scion of Minerva
Other Aspects: Esteemed Professor, Magical Craftsman
Skills: Superb - Lore, Scholarship
         Great - Conviction, Discipline
         Good - Alertness, Presence
         Fair - Resourses, Endurance, Empathy
         Average - Athletics, Contacts, Fists, Performance, Rapport
Powers: -1 Marked by Power (Minerva)
            -2 Sponsored Magic
            -3 Evocation
            -3 Thaumaturgy
            -2 Inhuman Recovery
            -2 Mental Library
            -1 Instant Recall

Any suggestions? Anything I'm missing or doing wrong?

Online Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 09:20:27 PM »
Well, you spelled Resources wrong. But that's the only mistake I can find.

And there's nothing that's definitely missing. But a Catch, Sponsored Magic effects, an agenda, a backstory, Evocation and Thaumaturgy specializations, and foci/enchanted items would all be good things to add.

PS: Mental Library is kind of untested. Would appreciate hearing how it works out.
PPS: It's kinda funny how you can be a Crafter without Craftsmanship, eh? Maybe that Magical Craftsman aspect could be compelled every time he needs to perform mundane Craftsmanship.

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 12:03:43 AM »
I'm working on the final stats of Settimo. What do you think would be a good Catch for the Recovery powers? Something of Christianity due to the Roman conversion?

Offline hank the ancient

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 04:20:24 AM »
Give him a literal Achilles heel? Issues with torn cartilage or dislocated joints just not healing as well as stab wounds, bullet holes, and tremendous blows to the head.

I'd also throw out that minerva was the roman version of the greek goddess of wisdom and BATTLE, so he may not have to be a total nerd, just more of a trojan horse or superior armaments kind of guy. This can totally fit into the craftsman aspect if you just think "weaponsmith".

I'm picturing an AA-12 firing shells packed with rosary beads at blampires ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOoUVeyaY_8&feature=related
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 04:38:24 AM by hank the ancient »

Online Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 05:37:17 AM »
No good Catch ideas here, I'm afraid.

Just popping in to say something I should have said earlier: the Spare Character Concepts thread would be a good place for this guy.

Offline spac3_pop3

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 01:27:45 AM »
Aye, Minerva/Athena did spring from her father's head in full battle garb.  There is the legend of the god's fight over who would be the patron of Athens.  Poseidon gave the Greeks horses, and Athena gave them the olive tree (thereby winning the right to claim the city-state as her own).  Maybe a weapon coated in olive oil would be appropriate as a Catch?  Is something that everyone can get their hands on fairly easily, but is obscure enough to merit some form of research before coming to the conclusion (Giving him a +4 refresh refund).

Also, having Sponsored Magic along with Evocation and Thaumaturgy seems like a little overkill.  You can gain all the benefits of both Evo and Thaum from Sponsored Magic, why not spend that 6 refresh on other things? Maybe give him "The Spear of the Bright-Eyed Goddess" that was gifted to him by his mother upon his Visitation (assuming she appeared and told him what's up) that gives him the Mental Library along with Recovery and possibly Speed?  Though that would require swapping a skill for Weapons, so he can actually use the thing properly.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 01:40:42 AM by spac3_pop3 »

Online Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 01:54:13 AM »
Researchable and commonly available is worth +3, actually.

Also, Sponsored Magic does not offer all benefits of Evocation and Thaumaturgy at all. There are solid reasons to take Evocation and Thaumaturgy with it.